no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will
you let me be?

Yours,

Gloria

HB

J

Jan

What exactly is proper english?

You all are so worried about proper english here...but could you tell me exactly what proper english is? The kind they speak in England or the kind they speak in America? Are there really any rules and if there are who the really cares??!!It has never really affected (or is it effected?) me. You'll probably say thats why I can't get a job in RD!! I was just wondering...I still love all yins guys even if ya arnt speakin' good! im thinkin' everyone understands anyways!!!LOL!!!

P

Pasola Joe

Re: What exactly is proper english?

English has to be one of the most poorly written languages of the world! not only does it have spelling that is completely insane such as tough,rough,enough etc what the hell is that all about???whynot just spell it as Spanish is spelled.. phoneticaly.

PJ

A

Andy B

There was a shift some years ago in American public schools' teaching towards greater communication using any word structure versus the use of proper language. The result: an entire generation that cannot read nor properly write the language. Resultingly, basic communication skills have degraded to the point where radio and television communication in both the entertainment and news sectors are aimed at the communication skill level of a 14 year old mentality.

D

Doug

Andy you are 100% correct! It happened when Phonics were taken out of the way English is taught....the children are now taught by "sight" and remembering what the word sounds like...at least that how it is done in our Province.....Up in Canada the Teachers were given a cirriculum (sp?)that is to be adheared by all, same thing taught at the exact same time, Province wide. I've noticed the children all around cannot spell or comprehend nearly as well as before.

Although Jan...I will agree with you that it is not needed here on the board.....our children do need to be taught properly.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Jan:

The problem in the forum board is not wether we should stick to proper and correct English or not. It is just that once in a while we get someone posting totally incoherent statements.

Sometimes someone will post words that have to be scrambled to be understood. However, the people we are talking about were so hilarious that it was fun trying to solve the puzzle.

You will note that many times two or more people get into an argument about spelling. Someone called Mondongo just pasted me all over about my English, but it turned out that he mispelled quite a few words in his spelling attack. The name Mondongo is quite interesting and fun. However, I find these arguments quite instructive and entertaining. I personally do not hold any grudges or take anything personally. I just respond and learn.

TW

A

a_andy

For ex. , Spanish words starting with h, v, or b

Or if spoken, words like "Nueba Yor", "paya", "b ma" (you'd have to be actually trying to place an order in MacDonald's to have the slightest clue to that one), or any word ending in "s", or words ending in any consonant for that matter.

J

Jan

I agree also..my english is not the best. I could never figure out all that sentence structure stuff! But..oops starting a sentance with a prep...please forgive me..when necessary I do my darndest to write properly..but when talking here does it really matter? Children do need to know whats correct and proper..but I still have never figured out exactly what proper english is. Theres book english then theres the english you speak everyday..completly different.To be or not to be that is the question..

M

mobrouser

Jan, critiqueing(?sp?) people's posts here for grammar and spelling really does not occur that often. However, what you have to realize is that if your intent is to find a job and that that is one of the reasons why you are visiting the board, then you are in effect networking and should be on your "best behaviour". For most people "book English" is the English they speak everyday and when they see a somewhat mangled message from someone looking for work in RD, especially in the teaching field, well, lets just say the inclination to help may be somewhat lessened.

Just so you know, and this is not a criticism, following the proper rules of punctuation ie. 2 spaces at the end of a sentence, 1 after a comma, 2 blank lines before a new paragraph, etc., actually makes messages here much easier to read. try it!

mob,
(my excuse for any errors in this message is: I am not looking for a job!!!!!)

C

Capt. Larry

Re: First: Not a flame but it has a point and a gi

True story: Military instructior, teaching the importance of correct punctuation in the correct place.:

wife sends a telegram stating:
Darling:
Not getting any better. Hurry home.

Husband received:
Darling:
Not getting any. Better hurry home.

M

Maria Obetsanov

Re:Syntax and grammar

Many DR insist on proper usage, yet when they err in correcting another ussage, they don't see their own errors.

When I started posting, I failled to check my writing, I got HELL. Now I do, I make sure correct my writing before posting.

Now all students that are hopping to teach, Have to be able to diagram a sentence by part of speach, in a line form. That was way they used to teach English in the 0-1965 when I when to school at Aquinas, in the Bronx.