Dominican Residency Visa Questions

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
I have two brief questions concerning a couple of the required pieces of documentation for the procurement of my visa. 1) I need my Certificado de No Antecedentes Penales. I'm in the US. Do any of you know where I can get a copy of my background to indicate that I'm crime free? Is there a company or agency in the US which specializes in this? I know what the DR authorities are looking for, I just don't know where to find this documentation. Also, I need el certificado m?dico. I imagine that I can go to my family physician here in the states and get a routine physical and blood work. That report will then need to be translated into Spanish. Am I on the right track? Thanks, in advance, for your help.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I think most people are getting FBI records checks. Then the report has to be apostilled and then translated. For the records check you need the application form, the fee and a fingerprint record card taken by your local or state police. You should be able to find the instructions online either by a Google search or by looking at the FBI website.

If I am not mistaken, the medical report has to include a statement of no communicable diseases. That needs to be translated too.

As I read the various things that were posted, I got the impression that almost all paperwork needed an apostille. For sure it is required for birth certificate and background check.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
My apologies for opening the thread in the wrong forum. Thanks for the help, profe. Anna, I (along with my employer) have already begun the process for obtaining the visa. I just wanted to make sure that I had the correct documentation before dealing with the Dominican Embassy in DC. I greatly appreciate the help, and if anyone has any tips or consejos, I'm up for listening.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Call The Dominican Embassy in Miami and speak to Leslie Mota 305-358-3220 Ext. 1443 She will help you get to the person closest to you. She helped some friends in New Jersey.....Good lady

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
For my Certificado de No Antecedentes Penales I went to my local police office in Miami. They did a quick computer check, issued a certificate, I had it notarized, and then sent to the state for the apostile. That was sufficient for immigration in my case.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I have two brief questions concerning a couple of the required pieces of documentation for the procurement of my visa. 1) I need my Certificado de No Antecedentes Penales. I'm in the US. Do any of you know where I can get a copy of my background to indicate that I'm crime free? Is there a company or agency in the US which specializes in this? I know what the DR authorities are looking for, I just don't know where to find this documentation. Also, I need el certificado m?dico. I imagine that I can go to my family physician here in the states and get a routine physical and blood work. That report will then need to be translated into Spanish. Am I on the right track? Thanks, in advance, for your help.

For the criminal background check, you can obtain that from your state police. Keep in mind that it has to be no older than 30 days, so make it the last record you obtain. The physical results is mostly numbers, POS, and NEG, so yes, you can go to your regular physician. If you've been for a full checkup within 6 months, they can pull those results.

The embassy in Chicago offered to translate for me, all documents for a flat fee. Your local embassy may be able to do the same.

Aug 31, 2011
I read that the Fee for the Residence Visa is $150.00, payable to The Dominican Consulate.
* Legalization fee $90.00 per document.
**** IS that $90.00 per PAGE or what? Can you describe for me? I am at square one. Thanks!!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You don't mention what country you applying in so I can't quote exact costs. I assume you have already ascertained if you qualify to apply. That legalization fee is a stamp put on each document that requires one by the DR Embassy. If the price you mention is correct, it would be $90 per stamp/document.

What needs to be stamped:

Long form birth certificate(s)
Marriage license if you are married
Criminal record check(s)
Pension/Income documents

The other documents may or may not need to be notarized depending on what you are submitting. The best and most accurate information should be obtained from the embassy where you plan to submit your application.

Good luck

Aug 31, 2011
Application for DR residency (US resident)

You don't mention what country you applying in so I can't quote exact costs. I assume you have already ascertained if you qualify to apply. That legalization fee is a stamp put on each document that requires one by the DR Embassy. If the price you mention is correct, it would be $90 per stamp/document.

What needs to be stamped:

Long form birth certificate(s)
Marriage license if you are married
Criminal record check(s)
Pension/Income documents

The other documents may or may not need to be notarized depending on what you are submitting. The best and most accurate information should be obtained from the embassy where you plan to submit your application.

Good luck

Thank you Gringo.
We are talking with a lawyer in the D.R. who is analyzing our "financial solvency" with the Ministry of Affairs. In the meantime, we are trying to figure out what this is going to cost us on THIS side before we submit APOSTILLED documents to her to present on D.R. side.

Since this is square 1, i have just began to wrap my brain around the costs. We live in Oklahoma. The closest Dominican Consulate is in Chicago. I found the $90 cost on their website. So given the info you related am I to presume:
A. 3 birth certificates (3 x $90)
B. 1 marriage certificate ($90)
C. 2 FBI background checks (2 x $90) - [child is minor]
D. Income statements ($90 x EACH DOC?) -- if more than one proof needed

I was hoping it isn't per page... just $90 per document. (i.e... Bank statement, Investment account info)
In either case... this is getting to be pretty expensive. Besides the Lawyers' fees to translate etc. How does one do this without getting overwhelmed by the whole process?

Thanks for your advice!!!!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm supposed to start a narrative on just this topic in another thread, but that missive will take too long to be of immediate benefit to you, so everyone else can wait while I sooth your frazzled nerves.

This not going to be a quick process. You are not going to be able to do all the running around at home, submit your documents, have your lawyer do their thing and move to the DR in the next two months. You are going to see another winter at home...

You only have to gather the documents once, but you are in actuality submitting them twice. Once to the DR Embassy to get your passport visa and once when you get here to start step two. Your passport visa is only valid for 60 days. Within that 60 days, all of you need to travel to the DR to meet your lawyer and apply at Migracion here in Santo Domingo.

The secret is to remain calm, expect delays and frustration and set your sights on short term goals, not the long term result. When you order a birth certificate and it arrives in the mail. WIN! have a glass of wine to celebrate.

The process at home is pretty straight forward and is usually pretty manageable. The process here in the DR is clusterf&@k (excuse me) and will drive you around the bend. Your lawyer will shield you from most of it, but in all likelihood, you will need to travel to Santo Domingo more than once to complete the application here and then just when you think it can't get any worse, it will. At the very end, back to SD you go to collect your DR ID.

If you really want to move here, my advice, do not actually get the visa stamped into your passport until you and your family are ready to move here. All the trips to SD and all the potential delays makes it very expensive to travel repeatedly from home to sign this document or get another picture taken etc. Each hiccup stops the application process dead in its tracks until it is overcome. If Migracion asks for something, nothing further happens to your file until it is provided.

It is important that your lawyer has as much of the 60 days afforded by your passport visa available to them to push your application through. If it were to expire before the application is submitted, guess, what, you get to start over again from the beginning. Some of the documents you need to submit are time sensitive. Your criminal record checks must be dated less than 6 months or you will need new ones.

So to answer your question directly...coordinate with your lawyer. Breath deeply, be patient, this is not going to be cheap, fast or convenient, unless you are the exception and then we'll see you at the bar next week. :)

There is lots of info available here on DR1 in the legal forum and lots of advice elsewhere. It usually costs more and takes longer than you expect or would like. Remember this phrase, it applies to much more than just immigration here in the DR.

Do not ship the bulk of your personal affects to the DR until your application has been completed and accepted by Migracion.

Last edited:

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
Currently, the Immigration Department is only accepting FBI background checks for American citizens. You can submit your application directly to the FBI. Or, you can use an authorized channelers. If you use one of the authorized channelers, you must make sure that the document to be procured can be legalized by Apostille. You can find information on how to get this document from FBI webpage.

In regards to the medical certificate, a simple letter from your physician indicating that you are in good mental and physical health will be enough. This letter must be addressed to the Dominican Consulate. The Consulate can provide translation for this letter.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Licelotte M (Licelotte Minaya), an immigration lawyer, was recently designated Head of the Immigration Practice Group at Guzm?n Ariza.

She'll be answering all questions in this forum regarding immigration matters instead of me. She's in daily contact with the Immigration Department and follows closely the changes that too frequently affect the immigration process.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
On the Visa applications, question #20 is Name of person who will accompany you.

Whose name is supposed to go there? Does that person have to be present in your home country when you are submitting the visa application?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Go to your local State Police and they will do a digital fingerprint and generate a document that shows your past criminal history if any. You can get the translation done at a Dominican Consulate in NYC or mail the documents to them. Make sure these original documents have the apostilised stamp.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...and remember these documents must be less than 6 months old from the date of issue at the time they are submitted and accepted in Santo Domingo .

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Go to your local State Police and they will do a digital fingerprint and generate a document that shows your past criminal history if any. You can get the translation done at a Dominican Consulate in NYC or mail the documents to them. Make sure these original documents have the apostilised stamp.

This is not correct. Please see post number 16 in this thread. It was written by a lawyer with Guzm?n Ariza. She is the Head of the Immigration Practice Group there.