Passport run out!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
My passport has run out a few months back, due to problems at the UK passport office it could take 13 weeks to renew. My Cedula and Residencia have also run out a couple of months ago, an enforced visit to hospital has thrown my schedules out completely. Under these circumstances can I still renew my Cedula and Residencia or do I need additional documents?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks dv8, I am cancelling visits to the government offices until my new passport arrives.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no worries. just bear in mind that there is a fine for each month past the expiry date of the residency and cedula. 400 per month for residency and 700 pesos a month for cedula.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
just an idea..... slightly crooked one albeit

if you were to declare your passport lost/stolen,
it might be renewed faster than the regular run-of-the-mill renewing time

if you're comfortable doing such a thing

out of country citizens who lose passports get replaced quickly by Canada - I know that for a fact..... 2- days or so

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the problem with UK passports is that documents are processed in USA and passports are issued abroad too. same thing in poland really, there is only one authorized office in the world that can print polish passports. therefore there is no express option. it may the the case for other EU countries too.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
In Ukraine my USA passport fell apart and I was advised to replace it or risk having to stay in Ukraine and miss my flight home. The US Consulate in Ukraine issued me a USA passport in 24 hours.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
i think the problem with UK passports is that documents are processed in USA and passports are issued abroad too. same thing in poland really, there is only one authorized office in the world that can print polish passports. therefore there is no express option. it may the the case for other EU countries too.

I can't speak for the UK, D
but both my daughters have been issued passports while abroad in 'emergency' situations..... fast

Paris for one and Rome for the other..... bang, new passport and yes, they come from Ottawa
A diplomatic bag travels daily... was the explanation

deepdiver

Jun 18, 2011
Just renewed mine i started the application online then sent my old passport and proof of where i live (copy of cedula and a utility bill), this morning i got mine delivered by DHL 3 weeks later no more renewals being done in US

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
EU has strict laws about passports. i just checked wiki and it says: The printing of passports issued overseas had been done in the UK since August 2011 (...). From April 2014 all British nationals based overseas had to apply for their passports directly to the UK.

so it looks like all passports are issued in the same office. hence waiting time. there is no way around it, i guess.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
EU has strict laws about passports. i just checked wiki and it says: The printing of passports issued overseas had been done in the UK since August 2011 (...). From April 2014 all British nationals based overseas had to apply for their passports directly to the UK.

so it looks like all passports are issued in the same office. hence waiting time. there is no way around it, i guess.

does it say anything about 'emergency replacement' ?

that was my suggestion to get out of the day to day queue

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, poland can issue an emergency document that will let you travel back home but no such thing as emergency passports anymore. unless you live in warszawa, that is. i assume it's the same with the UK. and this "emergency document" is only valid for a year so it will not do since imigracion requires 18 months validity.

UK issues this "emergency document" too, even within the same day. it is not a passport thou.
https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

UK also offers and "extension" to existing passport but:
If you’re living overseas, you can apply to extend your British passport for 12 months.
All of the following must apply:
you’re outside the UK
you have a red passport
you haven’t already applied to renew your passport
your passport expired less than 6 months ago or will expire in the next 3 months (or in the next 7 months if you’re in or going to a country or territory that says you must have 6 months left on your passport)
your passport has at least 3 blank pages

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I think you will find, if it's the same as it was in 2010, that the 'emergency' passport is only a one way document plus relatively very expensive and, as you rightly say dv8, the one year extension passport does not provide a sufficient timescale for renewing residency.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Just renewed mine i started the application online then sent my old passport and proof of where i live (copy of cedula and a utility bill), this morning i got mine delivered by DHL 3 weeks later no more renewals being done in US

Ditto. Jusy had mine renewed took three weeks precisely. A few days more to get the supporting documents back.

cairotaxi

Dec 17, 2012
Traveled in September 2014 from Phoenix to London on way to Cairo.Stopped in London and not allowed to proceed as only 5 1/2 months left on passport before expiry. Threatened with return to USA by British Air. Spent night in London with British Airway paying for hotel and meals. Went to the US embassy in the morning and had an emergency passport issued in less than 45 minutes and they were nice about it.Did not know about the 6 month rule for passport but the BA lady said it was my responsibility to know about it!! What an expensive lesson. Those London cabs from Heathrow to downtown are costly!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
well, my suggestion won't hold water it seems

Where is Jason Bourne's safety deposit box in Geneva?
He's got plenty of ID's.........