Claro 4G LTE is awesome!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm getting 40Mbps downloads! No that is not a typo. I'm sitting at Dalia's in Plaza Turquesa (Bavaro) using my iPhone as a hotspot. These speeds are insane.

3891501604.png

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
:(
My tablet doesnt support 4g.
With claro 3g sim card, download 2.72, upload near enough to 0 , gives a network error.

If I had any hair, I would be pulling it out.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
And alas, Claro doesn't have any LTE devices in stock, at least according to the website. I'd love to add the wifi box to my plan, or replace my POS S100 with an LTE-capable phone and add the hotspot software.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Why can't we have these kind of speed at home?

And this was the speed while I was on Duate in Santiago going 110km/h+!

DickieLee

May 16, 2012
Are there network coverage maps for the DR ?, the ones that show you what reception you may get.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
When you buy an item on ebay which is not compatible here (which I've done many times), how do you go about returning it?

Or does it just get thrown in the closet?

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
And how much you pay per month for it and how much data you can use? What happens after you use it all up? Speed drops to 368k?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I think I'm paying around US$40 per month on a post-paid plan. I get 3GB per month. I've never gone over so I'm not sure what they throttle it down to.

May 20, 2012
So what am I doing wrong then?? I have the Claro sim and a nice, new mobile modem. Claro at San Juan Claro office put it in the thing and it showed 4G. But now only getting 3G at the apartment in Bavaro. I turned if off and on about a million times too. I got the postpaid plan but it's supposed to be 4GLTE.

I also have an iPhone that's 4G LTE capable with a nice new Claro sim and don't see LTE much at all! Tell me where i am going wrong please.

I'm getting 40Mbps downloads! No that is not a typo. I'm sitting at Dalia's in Plaza Turquesa (Bavaro) using my iPhone as a hotspot. These speeds are insane.

3891501604.png

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Claro 4G LTE here you will have all info is only in spanish, also coverge map. For those people that are having problems getting the LTE maybe claro is still missing some antenas with 4G Cells and that is why you are getting 3G.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
So what am I doing wrong then?? I have the Claro sim and a nice, new mobile modem. Claro at San Juan Claro office put it in the thing and it showed 4G. But now only getting 3G at the apartment in Bavaro. I turned if off and on about a million times too. I got the postpaid plan but it's supposed to be 4GLTE.

I also have an iPhone that's 4G LTE capable with a nice new Claro sim and don't see LTE much at all! Tell me where i am going wrong please.

Your iPhone might not have the right LTE wireless radio for Claro RD.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

I suspect Claro is still working out the kinks. My phone will occasionally switch between 3G and LTE. As a matter of fact, not long after I posted that first image of 40+Mbps my phone switched to 3G and then I couldn't even make phone calls. For about 15 minutes it was all wonky and then it switched back to LTE and all was good. I was just visiting my parents in Cocotal and all I got was 3G. When I got back home to Cortecito it was back to LTE.

I will confess it's certainly inconsistent at this point but I'm mostly getting LTE now. The slowest LTE speeds I'm getting are over 10Mbps which is more than I could ever need.

Your iPhone might not have the right LTE wireless radio for Claro RD.

All iPhones starting with the iPhone 5 support Claro 4G LTE.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Just adding to this old thread in case someone had this same issue as me, if your SIM (chip) card is old it worn't connect to 4G LTE, only 3G or 3.5G (HSPDA or HSPDA+). Need to go to Claro in Puerto Plata with your passport to change it free of charge, it takes 5 min - no other Claro office can do it around the area, only that place.

All okay on mine now...

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
LTE do not work 100% in any company here in Dominican Republic, also as here is not implemente VoLTE when you receive a call will switch to 3G or 2G to connect your call, also will swich to 3G when LTE signal is week.

Note also that some phones shows 4G when your network is 3.5+ G, and will show 4GLTE when catch the real 4G.

I have an iphone 6S plus but I use it most of the time only 3G because with LTE kill my battery, sometimes I switch to LTE and I got speeds of 50, 60 and 72 mbps with VIVA, they downgrade to 512kbps. To have better speed will depend of many factors including what kind of phone do you have, internet trafic, how strong is is signal, etc

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
LTE do not work 100% in any company here in Dominican Republic, also as here is not implemente VoLTE when you receive a call will switch to 3G or 2G to connect your call, also will swich to 3G when LTE signal is week.

Note also that some phones shows 4G when your network is 3.5+ G, and will show 4GLTE when catch the real 4G.

I have an iphone 6S plus but I use it most of the time only 3G because with LTE kill my battery, sometimes I switch to LTE and I got speeds of 50, 60 and 72 mbps with VIVA, they downgrade to 512kbps. To have better speed will depend of many factors including what kind of phone do you have, internet trafic, how strong is is signal, etc

i know less that nothing about cellphones, and i have a Freetel Samurai with the notation on the screen as to whether it is 3g or 4g. one minute i am looking at 3, next minute 4. so, i guess there are still glitches, no?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
i know less that nothing about cellphones, and i have a Freetel Samurai with the notation on the screen as to whether it is 3g or 4g. one minute i am looking at 3, next minute 4. so, i guess there are still glitches, no?

And you will continue watching those changes, you dont have the same strength of signal everywhere you go. No matter the company you use.