Best ferreteria (hardware store) in Santo Domingo

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I'm heading to the capital tomorrow to have lunch with a friend and I was wondering if someone could recommend good hardware stores with huge selections. I am specifically looking for things like faucets, kitchen accessories, bathroom fixtures, doorknobs, and other accessories for my mom's house. Thanks in advance.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
best prices or selection? remember you can bargain with them.. if you are spending $$$$

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I found ikea very poor quality ...more suitable for college kids who only need cheap furniture for a couple of years

The big American store next door seems pretty good, although I've never bought more than a liquidizer and toasty machine there.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The new Almacenes Unidos store on Av. Sarasota has a big assortment and they are cheaper than Ferreteria Americana. For bathroom and kitchen faucets stores like Cerarte (av. 27 de febrero) are a good option.

For kitchen accessories IKEA is fine.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
best prices or selection? remember you can bargain with them.. if you are spending $$$$

I'm looking for selection more than best prices. I want to go to compare prices buying locally and importing for high end products. If in some cases it's cheaper to buy here I'd rather do that. Thanks to everyone who shared their answers.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
I'm heading to the capital tomorrow to have lunch with a friend and I was wondering if someone could recommend good hardware stores with huge selections. I am specifically looking for things like faucets, kitchen accessories, bathroom fixtures, doorknobs, and other accessories for my mom's house. Thanks in advance.

If you want quality door locks, hinges and doorknobs the best place is on Gustavo Mejia Ricart between Churchill and Lincoln on the right side next door to La Baguette (left of it). I can't recall the name but best quality - not inexpensive but fair for the selection they have which rivals that of anything I have seen in the states. Items like what Shell Lumber in Miami carries if you are familiar with that store.

Remember most stores close at noon on Saturday save for the big box ones like Americana next to Ikea.