Obtaining Driving Licence in DR - What's the process?

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
Hi everyone,

I need to get a driving licence here in DR.
I heard that for British driving licence holders, the process is a little easier - does any one if that's true and who to contact to find out more?

I notice that the British embassy in Santo Domingo cannot validate out licence, so I'm guessing I have to take the test.
I'm in La Vega. Does anyone know where I would need to go?

Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can go to the baseball stadium in Santiago. Over there is where the driving schools are. I know you can drive, but for a fee they will lead you by the hand and you will get you license with no grief at all. Does not matter which license you have, or if you never had one in the first place.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I drove here for 20 years without a license.
Got "Stopped" a "Million Times"!
"No Problemo"!!!!!!
BUT,....I Would Not Recommend it!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I drove here for 20 years without a license.
Got "Stopped" a "Million Times"!
"No Problemo"!!!!!!
BUT,....I Would Not Recommend it!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chris in all fairness you are Latino. The "GRINGOS" would not fair as well as you.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
This is what it takes..here. No VIP treatment, high profile connections, bribes etc. etc. required. It took me two trips to Santo Domingo to get it done first time, renew it in La Romana one hour.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Anyone done it recently ??
The Puerto plata place didnt tell me the same thing as the gov. website......
Going monday to check again......

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi everyone,

I need to get a driving licence here in DR.
I heard that for British driving licence holders, the process is a little easier - does any one if that's true and who to contact to find out more?

I notice that the British embassy in Santo Domingo cannot validate out licence, so I'm guessing I have to take the test.
I'm in La Vega. Does anyone know where I would need to go?

Thanks

Is there any reason the British Embassy will not validate your licence? I got my Canadian driver's licence validated at the Canadian embassy, and took the letter to the Dominican foreign ministry (canciller?a) , got it legalized ( 600 pesos at bank reserves beforehand) then off to the DGTT ( Dirreccion General Ded Transito Terrestre) by the national palace and showed them all my paperwork, got a blood test, and paid ( 950 pesos, again at bank reservas ahead of time) - no test , got my photo taken and voila a Dominican drivers licence for four years. This must be done in the capital- renewal I don't believe so.