Throwing in the towel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I've decided to call it quits next May. Question being, where. Definitely not here in S. Fl. At every turn, all you will hear is Creole, Patois, or spanish. Everything on the news is crime, and more crime. looking for some place laid back, peaceful, and drama-free. I've visited the N coast, S. Coast, and western provinces of RD on several occasions. Monti Cristi, in particular struck my fancy. I must be in proximity to the water, as well. Not ON the beach, but no more than 20-30 minutes away.
Were I to move to RD, buying will be out of the question, as I've read the horror stories. Not a big city kind of guy, either. Maybe I could do semi-campo, if such a thing exists. I've thought about other islands, but, in general, the cost of living is prohibitive. I have a military pension, and will receive another from my gubmint job when I retire, which will bring my monthly income to $3700US. Not eligible for SS for another three years. Having said this, I have a house in Panama city, which is currently a rental property. If I head north, it will be to the Fl Gulf Coast. Cost of living there is cheap, and oysters and shrimp are plentiful. My Spanish is somewhat passable if I'm spoken to slowly. Should stay my ass put, or venture forth?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
try the Rio san Juan, Cabrera area.....

affordable, decent amenities but not touristy

2-2.5hrs to Sto Domingo --- 2 hrs to Santiago ---- 1 hr to Sos/Cab.... 1.25 hr to LT

good beaches nearby

all in all , pretty comfy..........IMO

Gaspar Hernandez for some..... same thing but a bit further to Sd, closer to STI and Sos/Cab

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I've done, STI, and SDO. In fact, if I never see Santo Domingo again, it'll be too soon.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
$3700 a month? Come here and live with me. I'll me your maid, chef, tour guide, and maybe boyfriend.

Frank

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I've done, STI, and SDO. In fact, if I never see Santo Domingo again, it'll be too soon.

if you live in RSJ or Gh , that area.... you'll go to STI for the food shopping once in a while.

Playero is good, but Nacional is better....

Bsides, you need to get out of town now/then

your call........

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Take a look at Tampa. It was my second choice. Cheap housing, us infrastructure, bay within walking distasnce st. Pete close too.
Tampa? Tan loco?? Traffic sucks, and, its a "big city" IMO. No, Tampa isn't on the list of available options, ty.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
All these things you want to avoid, and you want laid back. What on earth made you think of DR, seems like out the fire into the frying pan. The worlds a huge place, I'd ride my odds elsewhere knowing what I know. I'm sure many other share that opinion also.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
There is a retirement community 90 minutes NE of Tampa called The Villages, I think Pichardo lives there???? Heard its great,

Jan 17, 2009
"At every turn, all you will hear is Creole, Patois, or spanish. Everything on the news is crime, and more crime."

Why on earth do you want to live in an island full of Spanish and Creole speakers?? Do you think the news here are not full of crime stories?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I've decided to call it quits next May. Question being, where. Definitely not here in S. Fl. At every turn, all you will hear is Creole, Patois, or spanish. Everything on the news is crime, and more crime. looking for some place laid back, peaceful, and drama-free. I've visited the N coast, S. Coast, and western provinces of RD on several occasions. Monti Cristi, in particular struck my fancy. I must be in proximity to the water, as well. Not ON the beach, but no more than 20-30 minutes away.
Were I to move to RD, buying will be out of the question, as I've read the horror stories. Not a big city kind of guy, either. Maybe I could do semi-campo, if such a thing exists. I've thought about other islands, but, in general, the cost of living is prohibitive. I have a military pension, and will receive another from my gubmint job when I retire, which will bring my monthly income to $3700US. Not eligible for SS for another three years. Having said this, I have a house in Panama city, which is currently a rental property. If I head north, it will be to the Fl Gulf Coast. Cost of living there is cheap, and oysters and shrimp are plentiful. My Spanish is somewhat passable if I'm spoken to slowly. Should stay my ass put, or venture forth?

expat... I think the reference was to So FL.....

where crime has always been high

I lived there in the late 70's and the MIA crime was pushing people as far north as Boca Raton..... as years passed they pushed on to Stuart
Always been bad..........

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Understand, the DR is a Spanish speaking country,the US, not. If i choose to live in a particular country, I assimilate, and adapt; that's the difference. Here, its forced down your throat,which I can't stomach.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Hug, it may well be"out of the frying pan and into the fire", which is why I'm throwing this out for feedback. In 22 years with the military, and another 18 with the FAA, I've traveled extensively, and one of the things that draws me to the island is the temperament of the people. I've witnessed the poorest who will gladly give you their last pot of rice without a second thought. And, I sheepishly admit, the sort of anything goes attitude, has a certain draw for me. And, while i may be a bit long in the tooth, a couple of hours of Bachata at the local hangout, with a few presidente's and a hottie or two has it's appeal. Nothing is yet set in stone.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I think just herpes and the clap. ; (

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so you want to leave the land of spanish speaking criminals and move to the land of spanish speaking criminals. gotcha. if you liked montechristi area why don't you stay there? i went there expecting it to be boring slum hole but the city is pretty cute and the coast there is stunning. it's still fairly close to civilization, maybe 2 hours drive to santiago with shops, real doctors and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.