Cataract surgery

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Is there an excellent cataract surgeon in the DR? Preferably one that has experience in operating on an eye that has had a vitrectomy (removal of the gel like substance at the back of the eye). If possible on the North Coast, but if not SD is fine too.
Or should I go back to Canada and get the surgery done there? I will phone my opthalmo in canada, the one who did the retina repair and vitrectomy, and ask for wait times for cataract surgeries. If he can get me in soon then maybe I will go back there, with snow and my newly acquired chickV.

So any surgeon highly recommended in the DR please, at least for a consult.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Dr. Jose Asilis Castillo Centro de Oftalmologia cel. 809 307 5558 and 809 543 3501 www. asilis.com do

in Santiago.

My wife done a laser operation of her eyes 3 years ago no complications. Their are the senior Dr Asilis and his son. The son speaks a little english. The works together. We got a very good impression of both. my wife was treated by the senior.
Look at their website and give them a call. Not cheap not expensive but very good. Has a very good reputation in Santiago

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes there are several excellent eye doctors in the capital that have wonderfully clean clinics and have great reputations . I will nominate the doctor who did both my eyes with !00% success.. he is very conservative and the staff are wonderful and all are excellent in spanish and french . His name is Dr Carlino Gonzales and the clinic number is 809 732 9988 Thhe clinic is just off Ave Lincoln in Pianti and the road is one way going from Churchill Acropolis Mall is on the corner there to Lincoln
The cost is about 1500 pesos for the initial tests and evaluation and then the operation is US$ 2000 each eye

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Yes there are several excellent eye doctors in the capital that have wonderfully clean clinics and have great reputations . I will nominate the doctor who did both my eyes with !00% success.. he is very conservative and the staff are wonderful and all are excellent in spanish and french . His name is Dr Carlino Gonzales and the clinic number is 809 732 9988 Thhe clinic is just off Ave Lincoln in Pianti and the road is one way going from Churchill Acropolis Mall is on the corner there to Lincoln
The cost is about 1500 pesos for the initial tests and evaluation and then the operation is US$ 2000 each eye

Is this for cataract surgery or Laser correction?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
eye shouldof been an eye surgeon...there is an dom. us trained dr. in santiago...good boston trained good english...office in the city and hospital... go and see...him consult is cheap...

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Can only repeat that I had both eyes operated on by Dr, Carlino Gonzales and now I have returned for the fourth time for check ups that all is ok and on every occasion the service was perfect and the operation a 100% success . Judging by the well healed Dominicans in the waiting room ,he has strong local reputation

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
You are Canadian, correct.

Yes. And I got the retina repair and vitrectomy in Canada. Was trying to see if I could avoid returning a 3rd time to Canada within 6 months and since the wait time for cataract surgery can be quite lengthy, who knows how long I would need to be in Canada waiting for the surgery. My OHIP is valid till Sept 2015.

I had cataract surgery in 2008, and the doctor had to remove a couple layers of the gel layer behind the cataract, but the surgery was a complete success, I regained 90% of my eyesight in that eye. My surgeon was Dr. Arturo Grullon Manso, in the "Instituto Oftamologico" in Santiago. I couldn't reccommend him more, and he knows English as well.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
eye did my both eyes in u.s. because of the insurance....great 20/20...and use a lite reader...