old cedulas valid until 10th of january 2015

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
El Caribe ? El 10 de enero vence la c?dula vieja

pass this info forward, many dominicans still did not change their cedulas and soon the offices will be full to the brim.

there was no info in the article as far as the cedulas of extranjeros are concerned. i will call JCE in SD tomorrow to check with them and post the results.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
El Caribe ? El 10 de enero vence la c?dula vieja

pass this info forward, many dominicans still did not change their cedulas and soon the offices will be full to the brim.

there was no info in the article as far as the cedulas of extranjeros are concerned. i will call JCE in SD tomorrow to check with them and post the results.

This was my idea as well, to ask in JCE. But I guess our spanish is better than mine, dv8.
So I wait for your next report.
BTW - guess tomorrow they will be closed, because of changing the holiday 'd?a de la constituci?n' from
6th to 10th November.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dang, you are right. i will call tuesday then. even JCE may not give straightforward answer. sometimes one person will say one thing and another person will say something different but i prefer to speak with them directly anyways.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so i called JCE. the guy i spoke to said that yes, all cedulas will expire. but current orders of JCE is to change old extranjero cedulas until september 2015. :eek:gre:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Changed my cedula last Saturday in Santo Domingo (weekends are apparently quieter than during the week). Took all of 10 minutes. No lines, only 2 people waiting for theirs ahead of me. Personnel was very helpful, pointing me in the right direction after each step and very courteous. I also noticed that they extended the expiry date to match the one on my residency card which is great since it was supposed to expire next year while my residency is still good for 3 years. When you go, don't forget your passport, valid residency card and current cedula. They let me keep my old cedula so that's the one that I'll be using whenever I'm asked to leave one to for example enter gated residential area.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
so i called JCE. the guy i spoke to said that yes, all cedulas will expire. but current orders of JCE is to change old extranjero cedulas until september 2015. :eek:gre:

Does that mean that I can safely leave going to get my new biometric one until into the new year?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does that mean that I can safely leave going to get my new biometric one until into the new year?

Yes you can. The expiration dates are now matched to the expiration of your residency. At least that means fewer trips to Santo Domingo for renewal.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i wouldnot do it. as i posted on a different thread on 15th of november:

called JCE in SD again today. ALL OLD CEDULAS WILL EXPIRE IN JANUARY. you need to change now. it is still gratis. you need old cedula and passport, nothing more.
centro de cedulacion de extranjeria will be open all week. monday to friday 8 am to 6 pm. saturday 8-4, sunday 8 to 2.
the lady i spoke to said she does not know what will happen after january, whether there will be a payment or some other changes. so go and change the cedula now.

it is clear that even JCE people in extranjeria do not know what will happen in january. you may end up going to SD twice because no one knows what to do or paying for the cedula. who knows. do it now if you can.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Yes you can. The expiration dates are now matched to the expiration of your residency. At least that means fewer trips to Santo Domingo for renewal.

Yes, agree with that but my point is that we need to replace existing cedulas with the new biometric ones albeit the expiration date of my existing one is the same as my residency, i.e. 16/05/2017. As luck would have it, I have lost/ misplaced the original of my current cedula although I have a laminated copy which is accepted wherever I go and, in order to 'swap' it for the biometric one, I have to make a police report to say that the original is lost!! Why is nothing ever simple??

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..............., I have to make a police report to say that the original is lost!! Why is nothing ever simple??

Yes, happened to me several years ago. Whatever police station you go to tell them it was lost around the corner. If you fill out the report in SD and tell them it was lost/stolen on the north coast they will tell you to go back to the north coast to fill out a report.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Why is nothing ever simple??

banana republic, that's all. bureaucracy always trumps. it is difficult to say what will happen after january. maybe nothing. maybe there will be further extension for changing cedula. maybe there will be flat rate for new biometric one. maybe 10th of january will be treated as fecha de expiracion and traditional fines will apply. in DR it is never certain.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
10th of january, as far as i can understand. but even after talking to JCE twice i cannot be 100% sure. go now if you can. personally i never wait for the deadline because it's a given that things will get more confusing. this is why i renewed my residency before the change of policy so i had no medical and did not even go to SD, all was done in santiago. and then as soon as i heard there queues in JCE went down i got my pale ass to SD to renew.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Yes, happened to me several years ago. Whatever police station you go to tell them it was lost around the corner. If you fill out the report in SD and tell them it was lost/stolen on the north coast they will tell you to go back to the north coast to fill out a report.

Thanks for that piece of advice - I will be reporting it at the police station in Sosua and know it was lost in the Sosua/ Cabarete area so hope that will be okay when I go to the capital to exchange armed with my relevant police report.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
10th of january, as far as i can understand. but even after talking to JCE twice i cannot be 100% sure. go now if you can. personally i never wait for the deadline because it's a given that things will get more confusing. this is why i renewed my residency before the change of policy so i had no medical and did not even go to SD, all was done in santiago. and then as soon as i heard there queues in JCE went down i got my pale ass to SD to renew.

I doubt I will go prior to Navidad to be honest as know this is a bad time for robberies.... similar to Semana Santa when I had handbag stolen previously in 2012! Maybe will go in the first couple of weeks of January to beat the deadline that you state.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I renewed mine on Thursday. I went mid-afternoon as recommended by posters here and indeed I was the only one there when I arrived. Two or three more foreigners showed up while I was there.

The staff were not at all courteous though - the women in the reception office ignored my "buenas tardes" and only responded with a brusque request for my "documentos"; the young blokes in the camera room were more interested in discussing what food to order and one of them had his head down on the desk apparently asleep - but I didn't point out their bad manners as I wanted to be out of there as soon as possible.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this must be an ongoing situation. i have been there 3 times already and each time the staff talks about food.