Temporary residency and cedula renewal

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, I know there are threads on this subject already but they are getting very long and quite confusing IMHO
So please let me start my own

I got my first temporaries residency and cedula last year, so ok for 1 year, until 14the of january 2015.
For that first time I did it with the help of a lawyer and everything went smooth

But this time, for the first renewal, I'd like to do it myself because nowadays my spanish is quite ok and because my dominican girlfriend will help me.

So I'll go quite soon to that beloved migration office in SD.

What documents should I bring exactly?
What is the process I should go through?
What will I need to prove solvency as I wont have the lawyer 's sponsorship?

Will it be possible to go there and renew the documents on the same day?
Or will I need to go to SD another time to get the documents?
:)

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
For starters.... If you have a title/desinde to your property, take it - as well as your passport, cedula, residency, 4 photos (white background), birth certificate, wear long trousers & shoulders covered...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
tHIS IS WHAT WAS POSTED ON HERE, AND I FOLLOWED IT AND HAD NO ISSUES:
1. Letter to the Director of Immigration requesting the renewal., written in Spanish. Here?s the letter I typed and used (word doc). You need to fill in the name part and maybe include what you do.

2. Residency Renewal form (you?ll get this from window 3 or 4 by paying RD$100 when you go to do your renewal--this is the only document you?ll need to fill out while there).

3. Passport or travel document, with no less than an 18-month expiration date (although DGM is flexible with this and will look into each case individually).

4. Original of your temporary residency card.

5. Original of your Cedula.

6. Criminal Records (this costs RD$300 (pay at BanReservas prior to going to and can be obtained on any of the places listed on this page (right column): http://www.gob.do/Servicios/Detalles...8232 Puerto Plata, this process takes about three hours.

7. Two photos 2 x 2 without jewelry or accessories, and your ears uncovered. (Just attach them to the original of your documents with a paper clip.)

8. Guarantee letter signed by a notary public, from a Dominican national or a Foreign national with permanent residency, by which this person accepts responsibility for your moral and economic conditions, support and repatriation if needed, legalized by Procuraduroia General de la Republic, with copies of both sides of the guarantor cedula,

OR guarantee policy provided by a company;

OR proof of solvency.

ALL YOU NEED to just do it with proof of solvency is: 

(a) a letter from your Dominican bank addressed to the Director of Immigration saying you have an account and the balance of your account; OR

(b) copy of your car title, your house title, your corporation title, or anything of value you own in the DR.

(Note: I used the title of a corporation we own together with a copy of our 2013 Registro Mercantil. I also brought a letter from my bank, but one document is all you need. The immigration employee that received my papers chose the Registro Mercantil and corporation title. If you have more than one document that you can bring, do it just in case).

PROCEDURE on the day you go to Immigration with all your documents and copies ready (don?t get a visitor?s pass--you?ll need your cedula):

1. Go to Window 3 or 4 to purchase the temporary renewal form and fill it out.

2. Go to the last window on the right (window 11), give them all five sets of documents with the renewal form on top. The person at the window will check your documents and get your fingerprints.

3. Go to the place where they make copies (right behind you when in Window 10 or the first window on your left when coming into the immigration area of the building). Make four copies of the form, put one on top of each set and return to Window 11 to submit your paperwork. You?ll be told to wait 30-40 minutes and go to Window 3/4 to pay.

4. Go to window 3 or 4 to pay. Note that even though the cost on the instructions page says RD$4,000, the actual cost is RD$3,000 (plus the RD$1,000 for VIP). Payment in cash only.

5. After you pay, you?ll be told to wait X number of minutes that you?ll be called to get your picture taken. NOW, you need to go out and get a visitor?s pass. You?ll have to leave your cedula behind and you?ll need it to pay so don?t get a visitor?s pass before paying. Get your picture taken, wait outside for about 15 minutes and pick up your new residency card from Window 10.

TOTAL TIME in Immigration: 2 hours

TOTAL COST: Form 100 pesos, photos 180, criminal records 300, renewal and VIP 4,000 = RD$4,580 (about USD $208) plus the cost of copies (about 5 pesos each)

Once you have your new residency card, you can go to renew your cedula. You don?t need any copies (I brought some but they do make them there for you at no cost). You bring your passport and your new residency card, that?s all. Cost is RD$3,000 for a 12-month renewal. You can pay cash or credit card. To get your cedula, go to Cedula Extranjeria on Av. Luperon and 27 de Febrero.

Consider whether it is worth your while hiring a lawyer or doing it yourself. What your lawyer will be doing for your is: get criminal records, make copies of documents you provided, and submit the payment and documents to Immigration while you?re there with him/her.

HERE ARE THE ACTUAL INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE GOVERNMENT WEBSITE:
www.migracion.gob.do/web/ent_detalle.php?id=148 - Translator

I'm going on Friday to do my second renewal and I'll post if there is any change, but the people that have gone recently say there has been no changes.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok thanks a lot for all these explanations
And then, if I understand properly, everything should be done at once
no need to get back there to collect the documents
:)

Jan 17, 2009
I had posted that originally, but I made an updated post back in late August when I went back again to renew my temporary residency. Read it because there were a few small changes here and there (link below). I also urge you to look up the new cost of residency renewal. I read somewhere that was increased to 6,000 pesos (5,000 + 1,000 VIP).

Scroll down a bit for my update:

http://dr1.com/forums/legal/137299-...sidency-renewal-procedure-instructions-9.html

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Yes, they increased:

DIRECCION GENERAL DE MIGRACION
RESUMEN DE TARIFAS SERVICIOS MIGRATORIOS
-
CONCEPTO
EN VIGOR
1-11-2014
Secci?n i
Servicios de Residencias
RESIDENCIA TEMPORAL