Unable To Withdraw Cash From ATM's

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Both Sunday and today, unable to get cash out of Asociacion Cibao ATM and Banreservas ATMs-Transactions Cancelled-no cash dispersed and no cash taken from my bank account in the U.S.

Using a Schwab card-called them this morning and they said that all is normal and they have received no withdrawal requests over the last two days.

Went to Banesco ATM-that one said I was restricted from using the ATM.

Anyone else have this problem recently?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I can not use Cibao, nor Scotia, nor BHD, and I am sure others because of restrictions on where my foreign plastic is accepted. Even my Banco Popular card will not withdraw from Cibao, or my BHD from Banco Popular. If you have used them before then worth asking why now, but if never used before then no big deal.

Feb 7, 2007
I cannot withdraw with foreign ATM cards at some ATMs by Banreservas and Asociacion Popular either ... it's some kind of weird setup they have. The transaction is cancelled by the ATM or local processing center, even before it reaches the foreign bank. Really strange.

@ charlise - I always use "Spanish" language... no it does not work either way

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Just normal, also on the counter. That's why I always bring 3-4 cards. Plus driving license b/c some banks want two Id's.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I can not use Cibao, nor Scotia, nor BHD, and I am sure others because of restrictions on where my foreign plastic is accepted. Even my Banco Popular card will not withdraw from Cibao, or my BHD from Banco Popular. If you have used them before then worth asking why now, but if never used before then no big deal.

Thanks Hug for the reply-I have used these ATMs extensively for years without a problem, but then on Sunday this started to happen. It appears that the request for withdrawal is not even reaching my bank-maybe some network or server problem.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I cannot withdraw with foreign ATM cards at some ATMs by Banreservas and Asociacion Popular either ... it's some kind of weird setup they have. The transaction is cancelled by the ATM or local processing center, even before it reaches the foreign bank. Really strange.

@ charlise - I always use "Spanish" language... no it does not work either way

Yes, that is what is happening. It seems to just hang on the processing screen and then times-out and cancels the transaction-this is for Asociacion Cibao-For Banreservas, the ATM just cancels the transaction immedietely. For Banesco, it states that the card user is restricted from using that particular ATM.

Last edited:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Well it states that at Banesco-The others Banreservas and Asoc Cibao just time-out and/or cancel the transaction.

I have had that time out error before when using Leon with my BP card, and I'm pretty sure this was an issue with Leon, as their ATM service at all machines is sluggish and with terrible ax withdrawals anyway.

I haven't had many issues of losing money through void transactions (I have had one or two though) but plenty of void transactions. I expect it, nothing works well enough to expect great service, even things we might take forgranted.

Feb 7, 2007
Problems with ATM transactions are common, even in the the U.S. Mainland. US Bank had an ATM and Online Banking outage that lasted from Friday evening until Monday morning a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't even use their Debit Card to make a purchase at Wal Mart! Go figure...no one home at the help-line, either!

This is not a temporary problem. Some Banreservas ATM I was using to withdraw money started doing this "thingie" (those that did not charge me a fee before). Now the only Banreservas ATM that work are those that want me to charge 220 pesos fee to withdraw a maximum of 2,000 pesos per transaction. right....

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
This is not a temporary problem. Some Banreservas ATM I was using to withdraw money started doing this "thingie" (those that did not charge me a fee before). Now the only Banreservas ATM that work are those that want me to charge 220 pesos fee to withdraw a maximum of 2,000 pesos per transaction. right....

Going to give it another try today. Also, will go over to Ikea and make another purchase, as I did last Saturday without any issue, just to check and see if there is a problem with the magnetic strip on my card that might be causing the problem.

Probably the banks are trying to get that fee and so they want to shut down the ATMs that do not charge the fee.

Maybe I will have to move to checks at the cambio like Criss Colon.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

Also, I tried BHD last evening with their $195 Peso fee and that didn't go through either-Just went to some black screen with some code at the top of the screen and then to the home screen thereafter.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I have had that time out error before when using Leon with my BP card, and I'm pretty sure this was an issue with Leon, as their ATM service at all machines is sluggish and with terrible ax withdrawals anyway.

I haven't had many issues of losing money through void transactions (I have had one or two though) but plenty of void transactions. I expect it, nothing works well enough to expect great service, even things we might take forgranted.

Sure enough, that's what it was-Was able to buy lunch at Ikea and then I went and gave Asociacion Cibao another try and this time it went through.

It appears to have been a network problem here in DR connecting to external banks and Sunday-Monday (holiday), no one is around to fix the problem until today-Tuesday.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Sure enough, that's what it was-Was able to buy lunch at Ikea and then I went and gave Asociacion Cibao another try and this time it went through.

It appears to have been a network problem here in DR connecting to external banks and Sunday-Monday (holiday), no one is around to fix the problem until today-Tuesday.

And another blackout once again this weekend-couldn't get cash out of the ATMs-transactions cancelled-timed out at Galeria 360.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

And another blackout once again this weekend-couldn't get cash out of the ATMs-transactions cancelled-timed out at Galeria 360.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This weekend could be a combination of Black Friday, payday for Dominicans and weekend. On Friday all ATMs were probably emptied to be filled on Monday. I couldn't get money out of any of the three banco popular ATMs in Jumbo Luperon.