Hi All

Est

Nov 11, 2014
I am a new member. I have been reading this site for about 2 years and have visited the Dominican Republic 6 times now in the last 2 years. I spend most of my time in Bonao since my friends live there. I have been to many other places. I will be coming back in January and would like to do a road trip. I would go with one or two Dominican friends. Is it safe and what places are hidden treasurers that are a must see?

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Safety on a road trip depends on if you're using a car, bus, or motorcycle. And the areas you intend to go. All in all the DR is pretty safe

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am a new member. I have been reading this site for about 2 years and have visited the Dominican Republic 6 times now in the last 2 years. I spend most of my time in Bonao since my friends live there. I have been to many other places. I will be coming back in January and would like to do a road trip. I would go with one or two Dominican friends. Is it safe and what places are hidden treasurers that are a must see?

Check out the Samana Peninsula Tourist guide at the top of the Northeast Thread. This might give you some direction. If you have access to a vehicle it would be a fun trip.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Bonao has plenty of crime. If they have not gotten to you in Bonao you will be fine. Have you had the pleasure of being in Bonao for one of its frequent floods? Lived there for a year and did not like it one bit. I think I was the only gringo in the city at that time. The north coast is the best area imho. Safe from hurricanes and safe from earthquakes (pretty much on the latter). Good but expensive airport near. Look around you will find your spot. Welcome

Est

Nov 11, 2014
Thank you all for your help and welcoming me.

I will have a car but but I will not be driving. My friends will drive.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i think there is a park outside of jarabocoa....waterfalls nice not too many peoples just a small entrance....fee....