bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
" A veteran is someone who, at one point in his
life wrote a blank check made payable to
'The United States of America' for an amount
of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor,
and there are way too many people in this country
who no longer understand it.'" (Unknown)

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Both my son and daughter went into the armed forces less than six months ago. Daughter Navy and my son a proud Marine. I am one proud Dad.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have had the beautiful service that her Majesty ,the Queen attended and more pictures from my old parish church at St Marys Bourne Street where the hundred years of this fight against the evil Huns commenced .How can we forget all the heroes of this first world war that fought in disgusting conditions and died so horribly .Winston Churchill sums their sacrifice up very well on various occasions . I personally never to light a candlle for so many of my family who died ..Lest We Forget

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My paternal Grandfather was part of the Canadian Corps and was severely wounded at the Second Battle of Passchendaele in Belgium in 1917 and spent the rest of the war on board a hospital ship in Liverpool Harbour. My maternal Grandfather served in WW2 with the field Engineers and was a sapper. My grandmother was a British Intelligence Officer during WW2 , and my father and two uncles all served in Korea with the PPCLI. Many other relatives have served in both peacetime and war. I don't believe my post that removed was worthy of removal, however the moderator deemed it so, so I guess it was. I served for 34 years, proudly so I'll respond with this poem by Kenny Martin.

I do not know your name

I do not know your name, but I know you died
I do not know from where you came, but I know you died

Your uniform, branch of service, it matters not to me
Whether Volunteer or Conscript, or how it came to be
That politicians' failures, or some power-mad ambition
Brought you too soon to your death, in the name of any nation

You saw, you felt, you knew full well, as friend and foe were taken
By bloody death, that your life too, was forfeit and forsaken
Yet on you went and fought and died, in your close and private hell
For Mate or Pal or Regiment and memories never to tell

It was for each other, through shot and shell, the madness you endured
Side by side, through wound and pain, and comradeship assured
No family ties, or bloodline link, could match that bond of friend
Who shared the horror and kept on going, at last until the end

We cannot know, we were not there, it's beyond our comprehension
To know the toll that battle brings, of resolute intention
To carry on, day by day, for all you loved and hoped for
To live in peace a happy life, away from bloody war

For far too many, no long life ahead, free of struggle and pain and the gun
And we must remember the price that was paid, by each and every one
Regardless of views, opinions aside, no matter how each of us sees it
They were there and I cannot forget, even though I did not live it

I do not know your name, but I know you died
I do not know from where you came, but I know you died.

Kenny Martin
? 2003

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sgt Marc D. Leger
Cpl Ainsworth Dyer
Pte Richard Green
Pte Nathan Lloyd Smith
Sgt Lorne Ford
Cpl Ren? Paquette
Cpl Brett Perry
Pte Norman Link
Cpl Brian Decaire
MCpl Curtis Hollister
MCpl Stan Clark
Cpl. Shane Brennan

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Was it me, or did anyone else note that your president was not present during the armistice commemoration saturday because of rain?
If memory serves correctly, our soldiers died over there in all manner of weather. Simply pathetic.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Was it me, or did anyone else note that your president was not present during the armistice commemoration saturday because of rain?
If memory serves correctly, our soldiers died over there in all manner of weather. Simply pathetic.

Low clouds so helicopter couldn't land so delay resulted in scheduling conflicts. Will attend event in Paris with 50 other leaders.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If it was a fund raiser he would have been there for sure. And he could have easily got there on the ground. All the others were there.........................

Despite the rain, an American delegation led by Chief of Staff General John Kelly and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joe Dunford still attended the event.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
If it was a fund raiser he would have been there for sure. And he could have easily got there on the ground. All the others were there.........................

Despite the rain, an American delegation led by Chief of Staff General John Kelly and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joe Dunford still attended the event.

This thread was intended for honoring veterans. Why don't you give it a break?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
White House chief of staff John Kelly and Gen. Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, made the roughly 50-mile long trip to the cemetery in a small motorcade of vehicles, ABC News reported. The drive took about 90 minutes each way.

Separately, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel traveled a similar distance by car to a World War I commemorative event in northern France, according to several media reports.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
This is not the thread to get into a back and forth about the US President.

Stay on topic or infractions will follow.