Converting USD to DOP Santo Domingo

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I'll be flying into SD and spending one night at the Hilton Santo Domingo. I won't be in SD long and I won't have time to look for the absolute best deal. Can someone recommend an exchange place near the Hilton for a reasonable deal? A few dollars one way or the other doesn't make a difference to me. I'll be arriving Friday and probably getting into SD around 5pm, so one that's open at that time and a little after.

Also -- credit cards. I know the drill, don't use 'em, at least ones from the US. However, is there a big danger in paying for my hotel with a credit card? My hotel in SD is paid for already. I'm referring to Jarabacoa. I get double points for travel bookings and my card doesn't charge an exchange fee.

Aug 6, 2006
I suggest the Caribetours office at Ave, 27 de Febrero, esquina Leopoldo Navarro.
esquina means corner. Any taxi driver can take you there for 200 pesos or less
There is a money exchange there. They have about the best rates in town.
A good rate will be from 42 to 43 DOP to the dollar. $1.00 US = $4300.00 DOP, $1000 DOP = $23.25 US$.
Feliz viaje.

I have had no difficulty using my debit card. If you have a Fidelity or Schwab debitcard, they will refund the exchange fee. There is usually a limit of $10,000 DOP (US$232.55) per transaction. I would recommend Banco Popular or ScotiaBank, but that makes little difference. Popluar always pays out in $500 peso notes, which are easier to change than $1000 or $2000 peso notes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The hotel will exchange for you... not a great deal maybe, but fast/easy

walk around the area, you'll see 'Cambio' signs

Yes, I would pay the Jarabacoa hotel w/ a card....alert your card to your travels and get a fraud alert plan if you want.
CHASE has a great one.

Truly , almost any place will exchange.... just count your change
anything around 43-44.... 44 seems to be the top rate this week

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I'll be flying into SD and spending one night at the Hilton Santo Domingo. I won't be in SD long and I won't have time to look for the absolute best deal. Can someone recommend an exchange place near the Hilton for a reasonable deal? A few dollars one way or the other doesn't make a difference to me. I'll be arriving Friday and probably getting into SD around 5pm, so one that's open at that time and a little after.

Also -- credit cards. I know the drill, don't use 'em, at least ones from the US. However, is there a big danger in paying for my hotel with a credit card? My hotel in SD is paid for already. I'm referring to Jarabacoa. I get double points for travel bookings and my card doesn't charge an exchange fee.

been using a international visa card here for 5 years no problems...

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I assume you are coming from U.S. I use my atm card and my Capitol One credit card in Santo Domingo no differently from the way I use them in the U.S. Occasionally (when I remember) I notify the credit card people of my travel plans. It's a good idea but I'm not sure it is necessary. Folks in Santo Domingo are perfectly willing to accept dollars, too, so you may not even find the need to convert any. Just pay attention to what's going on during transactions and carefully review your card statements for a while after you get home.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
When I need an ATM, I try to use Scotia since they have a reciprocal deal with BofA, my bank. However, my last trip I remember that they implemented a charge for something or other. According to BofA, there are no charges, but I think they are incorrect.

Do bank ATMs typically give a good exchange rate, like around 42 pesos? I wasn't planning on using ATMs this trip as they're a hassle and unpredictable. I was just going to bring a wad of cash and exchange it as needed.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I don't think the exchange rate at a casa de cambio or bank will merit taking a taxi, unless you are changing thousands.
Exchange at the airport for first cash and then you will have a point of reference.
Most businesses will give you less of a good rate compared to the casa de cambios or the banks. So it is better to use your credit card for shopping, rather than giving them US$. There are cases when prices are marked in US$. Then you are better off paying in US$.
Finding a casa de cambio or bank will be no problem. There are many in the center of Jarabacoa.
Good to have a credit card alert service even for domestic use of the card. Would not be too concerned about using credit card here.
In the unlikely event of a fraudulent charge, you can always dispute the charge. That's the advantage of credit cards.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
With the rate of 42 pesos you are giving them 5% for nothing. Any good exchange is a fraction under 44.

After a certain point, it's not worth *your* time to argue over less than 1 peso/$. Especially if (as mentioned) you find yourself taking a taxi to save that peso.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
everybody overthinks this exchange thing... as if they're Howard Hughes.

for most , changing $100 or $200 , the savings/gains/losses are minimal

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I use Scotia ATMs when ever I can. They will charge a foreign transaction fee (exchange rate difference) and a fee for using another banks card. I can't say exactly how much the fees are but they seem reasonable. Over the years I have only been screwed by them once. One time I found a 100 peso note slipped in with the 500 peso notes coming out of the ATM. Clever. No way to prove I wasn't the one who did it. Really ****ed me off for several minutes.