Hello, from a recent DR convert.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I been to the country only once for a few weeks, 2014. It is high on my list of expat locations, when my retirement years approach. It will be a while.

I only been to four cities in DR and didn't have enough cultural interaction with locals. If I exclude the clubs and dodging the gringo $$$ traps.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I been reading the news and the forum posts. It is not paradise, especially in congested areas. It is being further researched.
The country side and the view from the elevated train in SDQ, looks like paradise.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No country is the paradise one perceives it to be after spending only a few weeks at an AI or a short time within the local economy. It doesn't matter where you choose to live. The day to day logistics of long term living always present challenges that aren't appreciated until you have to endure them.

The secret is to provide for your basic needs, minimizing your chances of being a victim of crime, and being realistic with your expectations. If you are looking for somewhere exactly like home, my best advice is to stay at home.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
No country is the paradise one perceives it to be after spending only a few weeks at an AI or a short time within the local economy. It doesn't matter where you choose to live. The day to day logistics of long term living always present challenges that aren't appreciated until you have to endure them.

The secret is to provide for your basic needs, minimizing your chances of being a victim of crime, and being realistic with your expectations. If you are looking for somewhere exactly like home, my best advice is to stay at home.

Well spoken. These hold true for anywhere in the dr you choose to make a home. Living here is so completely different than visiting here.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Thanks for the advice.

Nope, I wouldn't look for a parallel to home while staying abroad. That is contrary to the purpose of moving or an extended stay. I imagine there are several additional obligations after staying 183 days. I am adventurous and could live in a tent on a hill, but I prefer by choice a nice a/c apartment with tall fence near transportation options.

I would not spend the hold year wandering the DR and Haiti. I only been to a dozen other islands in four countries to-date.

Beside work or business, started a family and chasing prostitutes, why are other gringos living in DR?

What do expats do for a leisure off the tourist path there? Fill free to fill in the gaps.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
FIRST, you will have to come up with a monthly budget.
SECOND, you will have to DOUBLE IT!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I love to "Fill IN the GAPS" as my favorite pass time!!!!!!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sosua on the north coast is the cultural capital of the Domincan Republic. You want culture you should see us. And we are very friendly. I moved here for the cultural interaction with the locals.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Sosua on the north coast is the cultural capital of the Domincan Republic. You want culture you should see us. And we are very friendly. I moved here for the cultural interaction with the locals.

:confused::knockedou:laugh:

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013

Culture is prostitutes, taking advantage of tourists, and day drinking...

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I admit it was a minor shock to see the "evening women" herding around, even though I saw videos online explaining it. That culture shock didn't last long. I can personally understand caribmike and DrSix remark. I was warned to visit in the day to see other aspect of Sosua. I didn't get that chance since my guide mostly wanted me to hook up with his girls and "likely get his cut of $$$." For the rest of my trip, I ended up dropping his company and ventured on my own, during the day.

zoomzx11 can elaborate on your observation? I regret not visiting more communities on the outskirts. Sosua has more than POP and STI?