this is how much the votes cost

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
if only they had the sun available, enough days, to make solar power realistic........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and the government is still borrowing even more money for that...
Z 101
138 million dollars....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Unlike Obama the DR can't print money and "create" income so they will just default and won't be able to get loans to float all the pork, so they will need to cut back. This is actually a good thing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The DR is going to implode. Collapse is imminent.:disappoin

the great thing about the DR is that it has the most powerful PR apparatus of all developing countries. it has spokespersons who willfully distort the truth in order to keep the masses believing that it is going along swimmingly. so, even though the conditions are dire, people walk around believing it is a superpower, the most modern , advanced and prosperous nation in the hemisphere, and that all systems are go. i mean, look at types like PICHARDO; the DR is the only country in the world that is on the Gold Standard.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Unlike Obama the DR can't print money and "create" income so they will just default and won't be able to get loans to float all the pork, so they will need to cut back. This is actually a good thing.

Obama prints money? you better check that again. last time i checked, it was the Federal Reserve Bank, which is an independent organization.

by the way, Chip, expanding the money supply does not "create " income. it enhances liquidity. two different things.

i thought you said you studied economics in university? did you enroll for the classes, then play hooky?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
the great thing about the DR is that it has the most powerful PR apparatus of all developing countries. it has spokespersons who willfully distort the truth in order to keep the masses believing that it is going along swimmingly. so, even though the conditions are dire, people walk around believing it is a superpower, the most modern , advanced and prosperous nation in the hemisphere, and that all systems are go. i mean, look at types like PICHARDO; the DR is the only country in the world that is on the Gold Standard.

I truly feel sorry for everyone living there when it happens. But there is a consolation, it's not
just the DR but other countries as well.:( (It will be like the domino effect) It's just a matter of time.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
We've all heard of the domino effect. That is why it was necessary to go to Vietnam, wasn't it?

When the global economy collapses, third world countries will be the first ones to feel the blow
as their resources are diminished. Second and first world countries will be able to hang on a bit
longer.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I truly feel sorry for everyone living there when it happens. But there is a consolation, it's not
just the DR but other countries as well.:( (It will be like the domino effect) It's just a matter of time.

people are worse off today than 10 years ago, without a doubt. wages have not gone up for the laboring class, but prices of everyday staples has certainly gone up. i remember when chicken was 38 pesos per pound. today 39 pesos will not get you feathers. the reason why people mistakenly think that they are better off is because they buy the articles of conspicuous consumption, such as smartphones, and it creates a false sense of affluence. since abuela did not have a Galaxy 5, they must be better off.

May 12, 2005
people are worse off today than 10 years ago, without a doubt. wages have not gone up for the laboring class, but prices of everyday staples has certainly gone up. i remember when chicken was 38 pesos per pound. today 39 pesos will not get you feathers. the reason why people mistakenly think that they are better off is because they buy the articles of conspicuous consumption, such as smartphones, and it creates a false sense of affluence. since abuela did not have a Galaxy 5, they must be better off.

What really hurt the DR consumer was when the peso hit 60 to 1. Prices were raised to adjust but when the peso strengthened, prices remained high. That is the legacy of Hipolito that all Dominicans live with.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When the global economy collapses, third world countries will be the first ones to feel the blow
as their resources are diminished. Second and first world countries will be able to hang on a bit
longer.

yes, but being poor in the DR, and poor in places like NYC, are two different things. people in third world countries have adapted to living in quasi depression conditions. things get hard, they just cuss and complain about the maldito gobierno, but they find a way to last. if you are flat broke in the USA, you are dead meat. heck, if Facebook was to go on the fritz for 2 days there would be mass suicide in America.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What really hurt the DR consumer was when the peso hit 60 to 1. Prices were raised to adjust but when the peso strengthened, prices remained high. That is the legacy of Hipolito that all Dominicans live with.

that is absolutely correct. businessmen claimed that when existing stocks were sold off, they could lower prices. NOT!

Feb 7, 2007
I am not sure you are aware of it, but EVERYONE's electricity usage is subsidized by the government (with the exception of isolated generation systems like Luz & Fuerza, CEPM, etc.). But everyone using EdeEste, EdeNorte and EdeSur, has its usage subsidized by the DR government. If it were not for subsidies, we all would be paying much, much more

Tarifa Vigente | EDEESTE

see the "calculated tariff" (that is how much it really costs) and see the "applied tariff" (taht is how much you are charged).
E.g. first 200 kWh, we all should be paying 9.96 pesos per kWh ... but we all pay just 4.44 pesos per kWh.
And so on, and so on ...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Obama prints money? you better check that again. last time i checked, it was the Federal Reserve Bank, which is an independent organization.

by the way, Chip, expanding the money supply does not "create " income. it enhances liquidity. two different things.

i thought you said you studied economics in university? did you enroll for the classes, then play hooky?

Thanks for pointing out that printing money doesn't "create" income, you are a sharp one buddy. :)

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
yes, but being poor in the DR, and poor in places like NYC, are two different things. people in third world countries have adapted to living in quasi depression conditions. things get hard, they just cuss and complain about the maldito gobierno, but they find a way to last. if you are flat broke in the USA, you are dead meat. heck, if Facebook was to go on the fritz for 2 days there would be mass suicide in America.

But as prices soar, everyday essentials such as food, so will crime as people will be
desperate when unemployment hits an all time high. The only way they will last is by stealing.:ermm: