Teleferico/Cable Car in POP

james

Jan 14, 2002
Can anyone confirm that the Teleferico/Cable Car is operating this week and not in repair mode and also is it still running Sundays. Anyone know the hours of operation? Thanks

Aug 21, 2007
Was on the trip about 10 days ago. When I drive to Puerto Plata with guests, we alway look up. If we can see Christ the Redeemer with no cloud cover, we make the trip. It's worth it.

Lindsey

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
im still going for the ride....i go up and catch the next one down......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I find it a waste of time lol. Nothing up there, nice view but I wouldn't waste a day doing it if only here for a week or something.
I have done it quite a few times though so maybe just bored of it.

it's a nice and relaxing walk in the park. you do not get much of that in POP. next time try to drive, it's a very scenic road that goes there. nice trip.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Better to pay for an English speaking guide on the first trip. Gives interesting history and background, especially fun with a group.
I did it once and enjoyed it. The guide will even take a picture of you with Christ the redeemer touching you and your lady at the same time (optical illusion in the photo). Somehow that just does not sound right, but its very cool.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I think the walk at the top of the Isabel de Torres is one of the best hikes in the country. It is chilly cool up there, almost as if someone had turned on the A/C. The vegetation is impressive -- the virgin mountain land and air makes flora seemingly grow double their size as on the coast. I think people rarely go beyond the small area surrounding the Christ. When it gets inspiring, is when you walk through the winding trails all around.

Years ago, I toured the Botanical Gardens with its creator, architect Benjamin Paiewonsky. He was also responsible for the Botanical Gardens of Santo Domingo. I have visited many Botanical Gardens around the world, and I am very proud of our botanical garden. It definitely is a must see for those visiting Santo Domingo, ditto for the Mount Isabel de Torres botanical gardens.

USA Today recently rated it among the best hikes in the Caribbean. I would highly recommend active persons to hike up and then take the cable car down. I always recommend going early so as to be able to see the views without the clouds covering.

From DR1 Travel News 11 November 2014:
Puerto Plata's Isabel de Torres ranked high by USA Today
USA Today has included the hike up Mount Isabel de Torres in Puerto Plata on the north coast among the most scenic hikes in the Caribbean. The hike starts from 120 meters above sea level to the top of the mountain at 800 meters. The trek is about 4 km through winding trails covered by jungle-like foliage and where butterflies, birds and flora can be seen in their natural state. The good news is that a cable car ride can be taken to return to Puerto Plata.
Walking wonderlands: The Caribbean's most scenic hikes

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think the walk at the top of the Isabel de Torres is one of the best hikes in the country. It is chilly cool up there, almost as if someone had turned on the A/C. The vegetation is impressive -- the virgin mountain land and air makes flora seemingly grow double their size as on the coast. I think people rarely go beyond the small area surrounding the Christ. When it gets inspiring, is when you walk through the winding trails all around.

Years ago, I toured the Botanical Gardens with its creator, architect Benjamin Paiewonsky. He was also responsible for the Botanical Gardens of Santo Domingo. I have visited many Botanical Gardens around the world, and I am very proud of our botanical garden. It definitely is a must see for those visiting Santo Domingo, ditto for the Mount Isabel de Torres botanical gardens.

USA Today recently rated it among the best hikes in the Caribbean. I would highly recommend active persons to hike up and then take the cable car down. I always recommend going early so as to be able to see the views without the clouds covering.

From DR1 Travel News 11 November 2014:
uerto Plata's Isabel de Torres ranked high by USA Today
USA Today has included the hike up Mount Isabel de Torres in Puerto Plata on the north coast among the most scenic hikes in the Caribbean. The hike starts from 120 meters above sea level to the top of the mountain at 800 meters. The trek is about 4 km through winding trails covered by jungle-like foliage and where butterflies, birds and flora can be seen in their natural state. The good news is that a cable car ride can be taken to return to Puerto Plata.
Walking wonderlands: The Caribbean's most scenic hikes

thanks. i will take the cable car UP, and hike down.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I did about half the hike up and it's a fair climb to say the least.

Just don't decide to gather wild plants and put your hands in some of those excruciating stinging nettles by the side of the path! 1000 times worse that normal stinging plants and long-lasting.

Ow!