Sharing a Bad Experience Hopefully to Shed Some Light

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
So - I should have knocked on wood when saying the other day that in 14 years here I have never been a victim of crime.

Last night I returned to my apartment at 2am. My drapes and pole were ripped down on the back window, window open and sneaker tracks on a suitcase below the window. Nothing stolen but a watch - thank god. I am so frigging lucky I wasn't here sleeping.

You never know until someone has violated your home how hard it is to sleep or even feel comfortable - every single noise is making me jump.

Now.... my building is well lit with security. The side where the window is sides onto a persons home and there is a narrow alley way - the back window was more than 15 feet from the ground. When the police were here everyone was trying to figure out how the person got in.

Well - needless to say it was discovered from the roof!!!!!!!!

As we speak iron and enhanced security is being added to the rear of the apartment.

Folks - if you have an apartment and you are 2nd floor or higher - don't just think of what can come from down upwards - Also consider what can come from above downwards.

I cannot believe until this happened that it didn't occur to my that you could just swing in through that window from the roof.

If this person comes back they are going to swing from the roof right into a wall of bars...

So scary but wanted to share a safety tips about the importance of securing rear windows even if you are high up.

Thanks

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Thanks Frank =)

As I mentioned - I am so lucky I wasn't home and that I didn't walk in with the person here - but to be honest with you, I am really afraid they are going to try to come back because was too easy for them. It's really uncomfortable to say the least.

Policia Preventia attended - not Cestur and I have to say... they were here in under 5 minutes and ready for battle. They checked everything out... but I still feel icky... I didn't sleep the whole night.

Again - I partially blame myself for not thinking through that roof aspect of my own safety in this apartment.

Sorry to hear you were burglarized. It must be very discomforting to have your home violated.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Thanks Frank =)

As I mentioned - I am so lucky I wasn't home and that I didn't walk in with the person here - but to be honest with you, I am really afraid they are going to try to come back because was too easy for them. It's really uncomfortable to say the least.

Policia Preventia attended - not Cestur and I have to say... they were here in under 5 minutes and ready for battle. They checked everything out... but I still feel icky... I didn't sleep the whole night.

Again - I partially blame myself for not thinking through that roof aspect of my own safety in this apartment.

My apartment was burglarized in 2002 while I was asleep in my bedroom. Because I am hard of hearing and need hearing aids, I never heard the thief as he went through drawers in my bedroom while I was asleep on the bed.

The feeling of violation is indescribable. I still sleep with lights on in my bedroom!

Sorry that you have had this experience too.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So - I should have knocked on wood when saying the other day that in 14 years here I have never been a victim of crime.

Last night I returned to my apartment at 2am. My drapes and pole were ripped down on the back window, window open and sneaker tracks on a suitcase below the window. Nothing stolen but a watch - thank god. I am so frigging lucky I wasn't here sleeping.

You never know until someone has violated your home how hard it is to sleep or even feel comfortable - every single noise is making me jump.

Now.... my building is well lit with security. The side where the window is sides onto a persons home and there is a narrow alley way - the back window was more than 15 feet from the ground. When the police were here everyone was trying to figure out how the person got in.

Well - needless to say it was discovered from the roof!!!!!!!!

As we speak iron and enhanced security is being added to the rear of the apartment.

Folks - if you have an apartment and you are 2nd floor or higher - don't just think of what can come from down upwards - Also consider what can come from above downwards.

I cannot believe until this happened that it didn't occur to my that you could just swing in through that window from the roof.

If this person comes back they are going to swing from the roof right into a wall of bars...

So scary but wanted to share a safety tips about the importance of securing rear windows even if you are high up.

Thanks

very sorry to hear of your misfortune. i know how you feel. i have had my apartment broken into 3 times. on one occasion, the thief stole a piece of high end custom made stereo equipment that i acquired by winning an ebay auction. there were, at that time, only 25 in the world. the guy had no idea what it was, and could never have sold it, since he could never have found anyone in the DR who knew what it was for.

my theory is that if you live in the DR, and you do not live in a steel cage, it is not a matter of if you will be robbed. it is a matter of when.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
my theory is that if you live in the DR, and you do not live in a steel cage, it is not a matter of if you will be robbed. it is a matter of when.

Unfortunately true, even with the cage. Mr. AE's brother lives in El Million in SD in a large 2nd floor condo. He woke one morning to find that while he and his wife - and three grown children - slept, someone squeezed through the bars on his terrace and robbed them. They even took his wallet and watch from the nightstand inches from his head. They added more bars and reinforcement afterwards, but if "they" want to get in, they will.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Glad you're okay! My house was burglarized once. We didn't feel anything, and the dog didn't even bark. The police said it most have been someone who "cared" about us. lol

It is really a strange feeling to know that a stranger was there in your home, and went through your personal belongings.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
My apartment was burglarized twice growing up and it still affects me to this day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is why when i read posters belittling those who live in "gated communities"and "behind bars" i just roll my eyes. one always has to exercise certain precautions and it is easier to do it in more controlled environment.

glad you are strengthening security in your place. don't let it get you. don't focus on what ifs. you need to move on mentally or will always be scared. few years ago someone entered apartment where we lived before and stole some cash. for me it was water off duck's back. i never think about that unless the subject is brought up. push it out of your mind. feel better.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
sorry to hear ...thankfully no one hurt ...and most importantly ..if they come back...you are better secured and the outcome will be different

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Hey all!!! Crazy day of no sleep... The landlord of the building paid full monty and did a lot more than just bars to help secure my apartment. I was on edge all day (prob lack of sleep)... I was really happy to see him step up.

This community is so supportive. I had a couple of DR1 friends pop in today to give me a hug which I really appreciated =) I needed it. Lots of great advice and support.

DV8 is right and as some others have shared with me - I have to push past feeling all freaked out otherwise no point in being here at all... but it is hard because I keep looking around wondering if I knew the person and I am still scared in the apartment. I think this is going to be one of those 'time needs to pass' things. The cops saying he was unprepared and will probably visit again didn't help the anxiety BUT this time he will swing right into a barred window and after tomorrow a barred window booby trapped with barbed wire.

I do not live in a gated community. I do live in a building that is a stone throw from Casa Marina with security and cameras... though the person got onto the roof and a fast route up that is not obvious from where the security sits and is not where there are cameras was identified. My front windows have always been barred - the back one no because it is so high up it didn't even occur to me that someone would swing in off the roof.... That is really why I shared - Even if you are high up as further evidenced by subsequent comments here... you still need rear window security!

I do give merit to the point of gated complexes because this is the first apartment I have had here in 14 years that wasn't in a gated off condo complex and also my first break in.

Overall I think this will make the building safer for all - though I never anticipated a break in here because it is a active area with lots of people and cops passing by all the time.

Anyway hopefully the tip on high up windows helps and I also hope (thought it is not likely) that this doesn't happen to anyone else.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Thankfully you weren't home. Sorry you had this experience. Sometimes I think these experiences just make us stronger and more resilient to life here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's important to remain positive. the loss was minimal, you are working on increasing the safety and you were not hurt. count your blessing and have many happy birthdays to come!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i try to be vigilent...but....its difficult...i use a alarm sign...careful about windows and doors...and building a fence/ have property....and looking for a dog...and or /wife...as a home body...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Stick with the dog. A wife will cramp your free wheeling spirit, suck the very essence out of you and rob you from the inside. Of course the dog will steal any and all cookies you leave lying around. I guess you have to choose how much you are prepared to lose.