Got ripped off by Claro Clerk

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Friday October 10th during my last DR trip. I stopped at the jumbo claro store for a recarga; 250 pesos. It was early that morning they had just opened and I was headed to Bayahibe so that I could catch a boat to Saona Island. She says just write the number and I'll send you the recarga as soon as I set up. Gave her a 500 bill and she gave me 250 back from a small paper bag.

Nearly an hour later got a text that says thank you for your 25 pesos recarga etc......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Friday October 10th during my last DR trip. I stopped at the jumbo claro store for a recarga; 250 pesos. It was early that morning they had just opened and I was headed to Bayahibe so that I could catch a boat to Saona Island. She says just write the number and I'll send you the recarga as soon as I set up. Gave her a 500 bill and she gave me 250 back from a small paper bag.

Nearly an hour later got a text that says thank you for your 25 pesos recarga etc......

no receipt?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We had that happen a couple of times too - now I wait until we're in SD and I buy a bunch of cards from the Claro guys at the red lights and keep them in my purse until we need them.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We had that happen a couple of times too - now I wait until we're in SD and I buy a bunch of cards from the Claro guys at the red lights and keep them in my purse until we need them.

you still buy cards? that is so 20th century! do the electronic recharge, and demand your receipt. your phone number appears on it. that way the clerk cannot charge you 200 pesos, and put the recharge on Fausto's cellphone.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Friday October 10th during my last DR trip. While in San Pedro de Marcoris, I stopped at the claro store inside jumbo for a recarga; 250 pesos. It was early that morning they had just opened and I was headed to Bayahibe so that I could catch a boat to Saona Island. She says just write the number and I'll send you the recarga as soon as I set up. Gave her a 500 bill and she gave me 250 back from a small paper bag.

Returned on the way back, I didn't have a receipt, it was never given to me. Asked to speak with the manager " why would I gout out of my way for a 25 peso recarga" of course it fell on deaf ears. Lo siento bla bla bla.....

While at the store waiting, that same chick tried to rip off two gringos by shorting them; that can't be a coincidence.

This is the number one thing I hate about the DR, if they don't have their hand out, they'll try to fleece you one way or another.

(Sorry, my connection got cut off before I completed the thread)

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Lesson learned, I come to the DR three to five times a year for about two weeks each time, this is the first time that this ever happened. I have an unlocked cell that I use when I travel, I just add my claro SIM when in the DR, don't live there so no monthly subscription.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
you still buy cards? that is so 20th century! do the electronic recharge, and demand your receipt. your phone number appears on it. that way the clerk cannot charge you 200 pesos, and put the recharge on Fausto's cellphone.

Yep, I prefer the cards. Where we live there is only one little place that can recharge the phone, and they ripped Mr. AE off for 500 pesos, so he refuses to use them - ever. When we go to to the city [SD], we stock up. There is a Claro shop in La Sirena in San Cristobal, and we recharge there too, but they do it over a cellphone that they have, and never a receipt.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
little sympathy from me I'm afraid...

....you were lucky to get the 25!

Not asking for sympathy, just sharing so that unsuspecting people out there don't get scammed. 250 pesos didn't hurt me, it's the fact that I was on the road with no minutes, and I would have been stuck like chuck had I had an emergency.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yep, I prefer the cards. Where we live there is only one little place that can recharge the phone, and they ripped Mr. AE off for 500 pesos, so he refuses to use them - ever. When we go to to the city [SD], we stock up. There is a Claro shop in La Sirena in San Cristobal, and we recharge there too, but they do it over a cellphone that they have, and never a receipt.

they have these machines all over the place wherein you can select the provider, enter your number, enter the amount you want, then put the bill into the slot. if everything is right, you push the "accept" button, and, voila! then you press accept when it asks if you want a receipt.

and, no. i never get a recharge from these guys with the cellphone. they could be calling Yokairis, for all i know.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
they have these machines all over the place wherein you can select the provider, enter your number, enter the amount you want, then put the bill into the slot. if everything is right, you push the "accept" button, and, voila! then you press accept when it asks if you want a receipt.

and, no. i never get a recharge from these guys with the cellphone. they could be calling Yokairis, for all i know.

Not where we live, they don't exist in our campo. Only the one crooked one.

The people with the cellphone are at the Claro counter, and it comes up immediately on your cellphone, so you know what you have before you walk away.

I've been thinking of looking into those internet sites where you can top off your phone online, just haven't gotten around to it.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I've done recargas a few times this way when i've forgotten to take my cell phone and left it at home. But
you must ask for a receipt do not expect the person to give it to you. If you don't ask for it, chances are you will be cheated.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Every time I recharge with Orange I wait for the text confirmation before leaving the counter. Usually arrives in under a minute.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
The automated machines which take bills accept new bills but machine does not recognize new paper material and cannot process transaction.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Keep buying the cards please! The company printing them has been buying less and less paper from me...