Buying data and minutes for vacation

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I'm leaving for the airport in an hour for SDQ for my 8 day vacation. The thought just occurred to me about buying phone data and minutes. I never know what to do and this is my umpteenth trip, haha. I want to do this at the airport since I'll be leaving early tomorrow for the mountains and don't want to run around SD messing with my phone. Unfortunately, I won't have my Spanish speaking friend with me at the airport and I'll have to make do with my basic Spanish. I only mention that cuz I've always found the reps at Claro at the airport to be less than helpful. Anyway, I digress.

I'm assuming I'll go with Claro only because I always have. Someone mentioned their internet speed is faster than Orange, though that sounds hard to believe. Anyway, assuming I go with Claro, I need to get a SIM for my iPhone, number one. In the past, I bought data by the week. Is that still the way to go? And how do you transfer (on the phone) minutes to data? And calls to the US? I don't plan on making very many. Is it best just to use my DR number or is there an option of a calling card? Thanks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

calls to the US can be made on that phone reasonably cheaply

The Claro office will show you the data options.

Nice bright office for them at SDQ

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If you plan to spend your entire vacation in the mountains I would use orange for the internet. Having lived in the
mountains I can tell Claro service isn't reliabe (between Nagua and San Francisco) in the mountains. I don't think you
can transfer minutes with any of the providers here. The minutes have to be purchased separately for internet and phone.
I use orange cell. Works well and cheap to call the states.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Too late for Orange, I already got Claro.

Does anyone know the code to change minutes to data? I forgot to ask at the Claro store and I dread going back there. Thanks.