In search of Auto AC mechanic in POP

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
The AC in my car works fine when you first start it
and after about 15 minutes it cycles to warm, almost hot air.
To get it back to cool/cold air I stop on the side
of the road and turn the engine off and then back
on right away. Most of the time it starts blowing
cool/cold air again. A local AC guy had it for 3
days 5,000 pesos, parts and labor. Replaced blower motor 3 times
and one AC radiator fan. Actually cut out 2 connectors
and hot wired them. He checked the fluid and added
more. Checked compressor and another part, not sure what its
called, has a large heat sink on it, located next to the
blower under the dash board. Not sure of the guys name. Probably in his 30's,
shaved head, musclier and drives a red moped. George Ali Camps M.
Normally works on my car but he sends the AC work to this other guy
who does not have a shop and works in Georges parking area. This guy
told me its supposed to cycle like this. No way.
Its a Honda CRV 2003. My fear is that its the compressor
is damaged enough to cause fragments to enter the AC system. Honda
CRV's are known for this. So let me know if you know someone else in
POP. thanks

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The fact that it's cycling could mean that the expansion valve is freezing up due to moisture in the system. I have yet to find an A/C guy who does a decent evacuation of the system. You need to connect a vacuum pump to the system and let it run for at least 30 mins to ensure that it's completely dry. It might also be worth changing the dryer. It's a fabric bag of desiccant usually in a tube on the side of the condenser..

There are a half decent bunch of guys in Cabarete. They are called "Mellos" (means twins) They work out of a 40 ft metal container just after supermercado de la Rosa on the right hand side coming into Cabarete from Sosua end.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
I have had my AC unit worked on at a shop called "Garcia". It is on the left side of the street which starts across from Cooraplata's offices on the 27th of Feb and goes down a hill west towards the center of town. I have always been satisfied with their work.
A recent visit involved searching for a leak, pulling out a lot of 'stuff' to repair said leak, sending someone to buy the part and fixing it. It took around 2 1/2 hours, the boss plus a worker (or two). Cost: 2,000 pesos, including the Freon.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The fact that it's cycling could mean that the expansion valve is freezing up due to moisture in the system. I have yet to find an A/C guy who does a decent evacuation of the system. You need to connect a vacuum pump to the system and let it run for at least 30 mins to ensure that it's completely dry. It might also be worth changing the dryer. It's a fabric bag of desiccant usually in a tube on the side of the condenser..

There are a half decent bunch of guys in Cabarete. They are called "Mellos" (means twins) They work out of a 40 ft metal container just after supermercado de la Rosa on the right hand side coming into Cabarete from Sosua end.

Mellos generally does well.