sending things out of d.r.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
anyone have any experience with this?
not container stuff , but more like small pkges? thru the post office or other ways...

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
not container stuff , but more like small pkges? thru the post office or other ways...

All these companies that bring small items in (BM Cargo, Vimenpaq, etc) are using "Igloo Containers" and renting space from the major airlines flying out of Miami. I would think that these might be a bit lighter on the return trip to South Florida so call these companies and ask. I am curious myself so please post your findings.

I find Fed Ex and DHL to be expensive.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
im going to ask someone to try this...guys in my club need and want things that are so plentiful here... find someone who lives in a big busy place with a p.o. and send stuff to u.s.
fed ex and dhl i almost never use....unless i have a discount code....

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
im going to ask someone to try this...guys in my club need and want things that are so plentiful here... find someone who lives in a big busy place with a p.o. and send stuff to u.s.
fed ex and dhl i almost never use....unless i have a discount code....

Most things can be bought cheaper in the USA. ie..... Writing Complete Sentences Banner Set

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
well thanks....the things they want can't.be purchased cheaply,,, the things are available but expensive and alot of things are not available...we;; we will see. thanx

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

There are places in which the post office works well and, as others have reported here, other places where it doesn't work at all.
I've always used a regular post office to send packages, cards and even medicine abroad, and its always reached it's destination. Do a little test and send a couple of things you wouldn't mind losing, and see how it goes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
insposdom is fine and cheap but there are restrictions. i cannot think of many things that are so cheap in DR they are worth sending out so i'm gonna guess chic is talking about la pela. meds may not be allowed to send.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
my nephew wants to be like the mexican owner of cell phone co. in d.r. rich!!! i have offered to help him find things to sell via the internet...and sorry, even with the shipping and paying a person to buy it+ ship it there is a small amount on top...and hopefully this grows for both... the shipper and the kid....

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
You'd pay a person to buy something? Like I said before on your other thread, you know nothing about business.
Der Fish

y would u worry about me and the way i make/made? are you making....im trying to teach a kid ,,,and right i would...of course u cant trust anyone so i would buy it...and pay them to ship it...start small. like one at a time... its obvious paypal and online banking will be involved...
and right i dont...what is your bis?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i just bought something on ebay...38$... in d.r. it is the same for 3$-4$. shipping 2or 3$us...pay to person 8$. is there any money there?

nispero

Nov 7, 2014
Don't use Imposdom if you're not going to send it by registered mail.

I did send two letters by registered mail the second of January (one to Argentinia, one to England). And two more letters about 10 days later (both to Europe). The registered letter to Argentinia arrived at the 14th of January. None - really none - of the 3 letters to Europe left the DR until now.

It seems "Transparencia - in the sense of InPosDom" means they have to open it, in case it might be a "regalo".

I can't tell you about the InPosDom "service" to the US. - didn't try that so far.

As for sending documents or small gifts to Europe the best advice is: Don't use InPosDom at all.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
as a test i sent a couple of times....small 2 pound pkgs. from santiago to n.y. candy..that you can not buy in the states...was going to make plenty with it...hahaha...but...on the other hand....arrived safely...sent thru dom postal office in santiago not a hassle ...wrapped in plain brown paper...and will do it the same way...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Many people who sell stuff on the internet don't really have the item with them. Take some pics of the items and send them to your nephew to publish online, adding the shipping cost. Once the item is sold, just send it from here using any of the trusted couriers.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Been there, done that.

Did it with cel phones. Way too much hassle for the little money you make.

Make sure he only does cash exchange for the item. None of that "let me have it now, and I'll pay you the rest tomorrow" or you'll be sorry.

you beat me to it. i have a buddy in New York who owns a shoe import company. he specializes in high end Brazilian leather women's shoes. whenever he was clearing out the stock he would email me, and send me a list of what he had. i got them for pennies on the dollar.

selling them was the problem. everyone wanted to pay a part, and owe you for the rest. then they broke them, and never wanted to pay up in full. even if you tried to sell them by the case, the stores wanted to owe you. i just gave up on the idea.

want to make decent money? get a space, and make a restaurant that sells cheap food, exquisitely cooked. same ingredients like you find in a plato del dia, but properly seasoned, and properly cooked. the locals would buy it, and so would the foreigners. get a caribbean cook from a place like Trinidad or Jamaica, and sell things like curried chicken and mild jerk, and you would make money. scrap the idea of 375 peso platters. when the tourist season ends, you are dead in the water.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I've got a cd with xrays on it that I need to get to NYC/NJ soon - are there any shipping offices in Sosua that
would be reliable?

Taking it to a Santiago shipper is not really an option.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You need use Fed-Ex, UPS, DHL.... It is not cheap. Remember you can't export liquor or cigars. I don't think your forwarding companies will send anything back to the States.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My preferred method would be to upload the contents of the CD to a cloud server like dropbox and then have the other party download the data.

Failing that, I'd be more inclined to find a FedEx/UPS agent and use them. You'll get a tracking number and can monitor the progress of the package.

As a last resort, I'd use EPS to send it out themselves. I don't have any direct experience yet, but those I know that do seem to follow this outline.

All of the couriers will probably be expensive but that is more of a factor of where we are than local considerations. With the FedEx/UPS you should be able to figure out how much it will cost before you leave the house and while you are checking the price, you should be able to locate a local agent on the website.

EPS has worked really well for me on inbound packages so far.

Caribe Tours is a UPS agent and EPS is also a FEdEx agent (I believe).

Good luck.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As an aside, if you use a NA credit card to pay for the courier charges with the big int'l companies and the package doesn't make it to its destination within the service guarantee, it's easy to file a claim for and receive a refund.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I've got a cd with xrays on it that I need to get to NYC/NJ soon - are there any shipping offices in Sosua that would be reliable?
Taking it to a Santiago shipper is not really an option.

for data transfer i use wetransfer.
no need to log in, have an account or whatever. you can transfer any type of files, completely gratis, up to 2 gb. upload file, provide email address of sender and recipient. both parties will receive email when the file is available for downloading and then the sender will get a message when the file was downloaded. recipient goes to link in the email and clicks download to get the file into the computer/phone.