german resident drowns in cabarete

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it could have been this pesky international criminal nicknamed el agua. the police knows him well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a tourist? he likely did not know how dangerous cabarete is for casual swimmers. sad.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
actually, JD's remark is not necessarily sarcasm. things are not always what they seem.

The guy drowned during the day in front of people on a popular surfing beach and people there tried to resuscitate him but could not successfully do that. I don't understand what is not as it seems?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Cabarete beach has currents, especially farther east. Its not an easy beach to swim around. I personally don't go swimming after having a few cocktails, closer to the river near Sabanieta is down right dangerous

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Experienced ocean swimmers know all about RIP currents. Some can even spot them from shore, most cannot. For those who don't know what to do when you are swimming in the ocean towards shore and find yourself getting further away rather than closer, here is what to do:

Stop swimming towards shore. You cannot power your way forward against a current for very long before becoming exhausted. Remain calm and don't panic, this is not a big deal if you know what to do. Swim parallel to the shore in either direction until you stop moving outwards. RIP currents are usually not very wide. 100 feet wide would be a really big one.

If you plan to swim in the ocean, you need to Google rip currents so that you may be able to recognize the conditions that create such currents while standing on the beach and so that you know how to get out of one. Every beach has them, especially when the tide is changing. If you swim in the ocean often enough, you will encounter one, even if you don't realize you're in a weak one.

Knowing what to do can save your life.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The guy drowned during the day in front of people on a popular surfing beach and people there tried to resuscitate him but could not successfully do that. I don't understand what is not as it seems?

the first news link said "supuestamente ahogado".

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Experienced ocean swimmers know all about RIP currents. Some can even spot them from shore, most cannot. For those who don't know what to do when you are swimming in the ocean towards shore and find yourself getting further away rather than closer, here is what to do:

Stop swimming towards shore. You cannot power your way forward against a current for very long before becoming exhausted. Remain calm and don't panic, this is not a big deal if you know what to do. Swim parallel to the shore in either direction until you stop moving outwards. RIP currents are usually not very wide. 100 feet wide would be a really big one.

If you plan to swim in the ocean, you need to Google rip currents so that you may be able to recognize the conditions that create such currents while standing on the beach and so that you know how to get out of one. Every beach has them, especially when the tide is changing. If you swim in the ocean often enough, you will encounter one, even if you don't realize you're in a weak one.

Knowing what to do can save your life.

You're right, they can be deadly, here at the Jersey Shore there are always warnings going up about riptides - but we have lifeguards and DR doesn't.

Mr. AE is a very strong swimmer, and when he was young he was caught in a rip current at Playa Guibia in Santo Domingo. It took him all the way down past Vesuvio. He knew not to panic, I'd have ended up with Davey Jones.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not even attempt to swim in cabarete since a day i was simply walking in the water up to my waist and with one wave i was swept off my feet and pulled into the water deep enough for me not be able to touch the bottom. scary for someone who could barely swim. this is a beach for sports people, not folks who want to relax floating on turquoise waters.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
the rips only run directly offshore. Movement of water parallel to beach is a sweep and can be deadly if the swimmer does not recognize their situation and wait it out. A strong sweep can move you half a mile down the beach easy. Sad that the death scenario on Cabarete Beach is repeated over and over and will continue unabated. Only effective solution would be lifeguards but who is going to pay them?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the rips only run directly offshore. Movement of water parallel to beach is a sweep and can be deadly if the swimmer does not recognize their situation and wait it out. A strong sweep can move you half a mile down the beach easy. Sad that the death scenario on Cabarete Beach is repeated over and over and will continue unabated. Only effective solution would be lifeguards but who is going to pay them?

firstly, zoom, who is going to pay to train them?