Bad Accident in SD today

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
This is very sad! Sometimes I wonder with the lack of education at schools and in the home, do people realize how dangerous they actually drive and the risks they take? I say this as I see the foto of this above tragedy where they have blocked the street with coffins in protest, stating that there is poor signage and lighting. I completely agree about poor signage and lighting in many parts of the country but is this the real reason for these tragedies or is it the unsafe driving especially these motos which in many cases have no lights themselves and drive against traffic and even sideways.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They call it 'accidents'.

Bad accident...

Yes, they call it accident.
This one is remarkable, because family members put coffins on the motorway protesting against the lack of traffic signs and because of poor illumination.

Of course, we don't know whether any of those shortcomings lead to the accident or whether high speed, no headlights or even alcohol played a part.

I am afraid, that tomorrow we'll read about similar (weekend) accidents.

donP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is very sad! Sometimes I wonder with the lack of education at schools and in the home, do people realize how dangerous they actually drive and the risks they take? I say this as I see the foto of this above tragedy where they have blocked the street with coffins in protest, stating that there is poor signage and lighting. I completely agree about poor signage and lighting in many parts of the country but is this the real reason for these tragedies or is it the unsafe driving especially these motos which in many cases have no lights themselves and drive against traffic and even sideways.

they blocked the streets because, in their minds, it is always the fault of something or somebody else. if the lighting and signage are subpar, then lower your speed. it is that simple. other people make it safely past that spot.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
You see 5 people on a small moto including babies, a crash occurs and they call it an accident, everyone cries. In our countries it would be called negligence causing death which means after you finish crying you go to jail! Disclaimer: I am not saying this is the case in this situation but it happens all the time here.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Everyone on the road here has aced the offensive driving course but none have bothered to take the defensive driving course. Apparently a course on common sense isn't even offered. There are very few true accidents - there are many preventable crashes.

I particularly enjoyed seeing the moto yesterday in Sosua with Dad (I assume), a big propane tank sideways behind him and a 5 year old kid sitting atop the tank with his legs wrapped around Dad's chest.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Everyone on the road here has aced the offensive driving course but none have bothered to take the defensive driving course. Apparently a course on common sense isn't even offered. There are very few true accidents - there are many preventable crashes.

I particularly enjoyed seeing the moto yesterday in Sosua with Dad (I assume), a big propane tank sideways behind him and a 5 year old kid sitting atop the tank with his legs wrapped around Dad's chest.

And if they fell and died they would call it an accident everyone would grieve and give condolences to good ol Dad, whereas he should be thrown in jail. The "no es mi culpa" culture is so deeply engrained in the DR it's virtually impossible to progress out of the 3rd world (Yes, I said 3rd, not 2nd, 3rd world!!!) A country without law, corruption and theft are sought after careers and the good people are so subservient they stand by quiet and live with status quo. Accountability, there is none. Just because tourist come to (Only Punta Cana it seems) and the IMF along with other suckers keep loaning the DR $$$ does make it a developing country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Anyone wanna bet somebody is going to come forward and say the two motorcycles were racing?

i think it's safe to say that it would be a slow race. while reports vary regarding the exact number of deaths (may still go up) it seems like at least 7 adults were involved. that's very heavily loaded motos. they would not go very fast. which is not to say they would not go as fast as they could. la zeta says that the motos were hit by a honda accord. the driver run away.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I travel this road every week and it iss very very dangerous especially now that on the side going east there are many pot holes that urgently need fixing . The dominicans have absolutely no idea on how to keep in a lane, how to indicate you are changing lane, how to keep slow vehicles on the right lane nor how to drive safely . This time it could have been the fault of a car .next time the fault of the huge trucks that travel at high speeds or next time motor bikes dodging in an dout of the traffic. It most certainly had nothing to do with lighting of the road nor road signs ..I suppose every one using Los Americas must have seen the dangerous driving of the Dominicans . I am not going give condolances because it is way these people live..life on the edge
You just have to be super super defensive on the road here all the time

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
All Dominicans drive their cars and motos like they REALLY WANT to die in a crash as soon as possible. So I don't see any reason to cry for them when they finally do it. Just drive your car with extreme caution, so they will not kill you.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I drove back from Santo Domingo on Friday , leaving the San Carlos area around 6 pm. It took two hours to get to km 22 . It wasn't until I got to the toll station that I unclenched my hands from the steering wheel and loosed the muscles in my neck and back. Total Kaos , my wife had worn out her passenger side brakes as well.
It is amazing that there are not more accidents.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you have to realize that in the DR you do not have to know how to drive a vehicle to get a license. the majority are bought and paid for. when my friend's wife was nearing the time to go for her road test, the instructor told her flat out that she really did not need to waste time actually going, but just fork over a specified amount, and all would be taken care of. Dominicans will probably be mad at me for saying this, but most folks here simply have less than zero idea of what it is to drive a car safely.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
even me....ive logged alot of miles i race , i cruse. i postpone(procrastinate) and drive...sometimes my fuel bill kinda surprises me per week...but driving here is not for the feint of heart...drunks....and more drunks...young kids ricos driving daddys car w/bottle in one hand and a pistol under their leg... with no regard to anything except having a good time...
now i get up early so i can leave early get home/back in daylight....especially want to be in my area at night...

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I traveled it every day for 11 years, back in the 90's, when it was still like driving on ice when it rained, and there were hundreds of places for people to cross, and no pedestrian bridges.

I've seen some incredible carnage on that road.

Even worse was the highway to Santiago, when it used to be a two lane road. Now THAT was some scary stuff.

Back in the day the old highway to Santiago is what made me go back to church. Was scary as hell.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
you have to realize that in the DR you do not have to know how to drive a vehicle to get a license. the majority are bought and paid for.
A while ago I drove from SD to Barahona with a dominicana who had license (I had left mine home). Must have been the first time she drove a car. Started with a small crash on Malecon after the first 100 m. I survived the trip, but have since gray hair.