Criss

D

Doug

Criss what did you mean way down about where you posted a message saying " you are welcome at my house....I will not feed you soul food......and so on? Could you explain more to me ...as I don't know how to take your comments.....you must remember...I'm a little slow....Please explain...Thanks

C

criss colon

Re: Criss/to Doug/England

I was trying to send a message to an Afro-American man from Chicago Illinois! Maybe I got his name wrong! Criss PS. I,ll cook "Soul Food" when you and Lisa come to Sto.Dgo.!

C

criss colon

Re: Criss/Doug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug,you are not a "little slow",you are a "Lot Slow"!! Unless your name is "Greg"!!!!I checked the post,as I am "never" wrong! Come to find out it,s you who are wrong!! Post is clearly to:Greg!,not Doug! "Don,t Drink and Post"! Criss

J

JohnS

true grits?

Sorry if I barge in on a private conversation, but...

Soul food is grits, right? And the US Marines have true grits, right?

So what am I talking about???

C

criss colon

Re: true grits?

Good question John,what are you talking about? The "Soul Food" "Grits" is made from corn soaked in a soution of lye and water,dried,ground,boiled in salted water and eaten!Some eat with butter and salt and pepper,and some with butter and syrup,and some "invent"other ways to enjoy,"Georgia Ice-cream"! The US.Marine "GRIT",is a resolve to finish what you start,no matter what the "costs"! "Courage",and"Valor" Criss

L

Loren

I know Dominicans who eat grits.

How do you say grits in Spanish?

I cooked some for my (Dominican) wife once and she said:

"What's this sh*t?"

"Grits." I said.

"?Greez?"

"No, como GR?TZ. ?No te gusta?"

"No, they're delicious!" she said. She will even cook them for dinner for herself sometimes now.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: true grits?

Gentlemen: La Victoria jail has a fine menu that includes grits. They mix it up with soap bones, sort of like the meals prepared for dogs by Dominicans. The poor prisoners eat it to stave off hunger and later deep throat their index finger to vomit it.
TW

J

JohnS

Had it once in Decatur, Illinois...

Had it? Hahaha, without meaning it, I made it sound like a disease! I wonder if that was subconscious? Or "unconscious" as a less verbal friend of mine always says!

J

Jan

Grits and hog jowels

Grits are really hominy grits..think thats spelt correct.And don't forget collard greens,and chicken fried steak...Don't think its really soul food...more like southern food.Can't remember the soup stuff with rice in it but when I lived in Georgia I ate it alot. Then of course you have "shine"..by the light of the moon!!! Always called it "eatin' s**t and barkin' at the moon"!!! And it has nothing to do with the famous "s**t sandwich" we were discussing at the party!!!

L

Loren

Collard Greens

Collard greens are ok, and very nutritious, but canned spinach taste better than Collard greens and even fresh Spinach, in my opinion! (uh oh, I feel the heat of a flame!)

Remember, I am a northerner! Be nice!

A

a_andy

Git that thar Yankee outa heah!!

Next he'll be telling us how to sing Dixie.

Collard greens are certainly nice but the most bland of the "greens" group. Mustard greens are more flavorful, but the "winter" variety of turnip greens are the best of all, and my favorite food. They are extremely rich in iron and other vitamins and taste strongest when they have been grown in red clay.

To cook turnip greens properly, they should be placed loosely in a sauce pan. Some people like to sprinkle salt over them. Just enough water should be poured over them to prevent them from boiling dry - covering the bottom of the pan with maybe 1/4" of water. They should then be covered (to contain both the heat and flavor) and boiled until they "melt down". This only takes 4 or 5 minutes. The "pot liquor" is also great and can be eaten as soup or simply drunk from a cup. Yummie!!...2nd best thing in the world.