US to give $20 million to teach reading in DR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This person is clueless about actual schooling in the DR. Poor as public schooling is there is no gender discrimination at all, at least not as far as teaching or classroom environment. I know children in grade three that can read better than most adults ( in the Dominican Republic)

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
funny i opened a kindergarden or preschool for reading last month in the barrio....
now i need jeeps, computors, books, teachers, juice, food...alot of stuff...cell phones too..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
funny i opened a kindergarden or preschool for reading last month in the barrio....
now i need jeeps, computors, books, teachers, juice, food...alot of stuff...cell phones too..

i applaud your good deed. now do another; stay out of the classroom.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Hell no, they can keep it. Give it to Haiti who needs it more. I hope that Dominicans know that this is nothing more than a double edge sword. This is not for taking care of the Dominicans but the illegal Haitian living in the country.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i applaud your good deed. now do another; stay out of the classroom.

i encourage children...i will pay for book reports kids dont really read anymore as you know it....(i assume) youv read books novels etc...its difficult for them to tear away...a paragraph gives them a headache...the idea of working hard is something they dont really know, unless they have educated parents who do actually spend time with them. so please dont intrude on turf where i am interested and care about a great deal.. and very funny...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i encourage children...i will pay for book reports kids dont really read anymore as you know it....(i assume) youv read books novels etc...its difficult for them to tear away...a paragraph gives them a headache...the idea of working hard is something they dont really know, unless they have educated parents who do actually spend time with them. so please dont intrude on turf where i am interested and care about a great deal.. and very funny...

i encourage children with education too, chic. my first full time job was as a teacher of economics and geography to high school seniors. as i said, i applaud your efforts. however....

Aug 21, 2007
My foundation has a small lending library. Although it did not happen overnight, kids who attend my programs and whose parents are illiterate DO read. In fact, we are at the point where most kids have read all the books we have and are re-reading them a second time. (We need more books!!!)

At first, I was reluctant to allow the books to leave our site. I was afraid they would never be returned or they would come back tattered, dirty, and torn. This has not been the case. Participants assume responsibility for checking their book out by writing their name, date, and the name of the book in a notebook. Upon return, they must show me, then write "returned." on the line.

Maybe most kids in the DR don't read for pleasure. But, please do not assume they won't read. Perhaps they have never been taught the joy of reading, that a book can be your best friend, that books take you places you have never been and may never be able to go, that books can bring unexpected adventures, and within books are knowledge. And likely, they just don't have the books to read.

With a little support, with encouragement, and with guidance, Dominican kids can and do read.....but they cannot do it without the books to start.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
After doing some research, the link refers to a grant funding opportunity afforded by USAid. No money has been given to any entity yet. Proposals aren't due until January 21, 2015. NOG's and other entities can submit proposals which include best education practices. Anyone ever writing a US federal grant proposal knows this is a tedious task. Without a clear plan and backed by data, one has little hope in being an award recipient. In my research, it appears that universities are taking on the challenge.

I believe, with the establishment of new schools and the longer school day in the DR, this grant fills one of the many gaps created by lack of teacher training. Let's not condemn something before plans are even submitted. It seems to me that this is a small window of opportunity.

Lindsey

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i encourage children with education too, chic. my first full time job was as a teacher of economics and geography to high school seniors. as i said, i applaud your efforts. however....

as much as i apprec. my teachers, later on in life learning about the decline in your profession. i am trying to follow the cheating scandal in atlanta ga. where the teachers are on trial...nyc union leader (lady) never once mentions the students... whatever happened to miss brody?
i looked thru a ged prep apt. test what a bunch of cr*p. the new math....who figured that out...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
At $100,000 US dollars each, you can buy 200 "Yipetas" with that!!!!!!
AND,..........They WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
What a boatload of crap! If this grant goes through, and gets funded, I'll be too p!$$ed to see straight. With the sorry state of affairs of the American education system, how on earth would they even think of giving money to the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What a boatload of crap! If this grant goes through, and gets funded, I'll be too p!$$ed to see straight. With the sorry state of affairs of the American education system, how on earth would they even think of giving money to the DR.
Different pot- you those kids to be able to read when the Yola makes to Nueva York, don't you. The problem with the education systems in the states is not lack of money, at least in most cases.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The DR does not need any help with literacy. According to "OFFICIAL" government statistics the literacy rate is 90.2%. Those numbers are right up there with first world countries. Of course it is the liars at the ministry of education putting out the literacy numbers. Send the millions to Niger who comes in at 15.1%, they could really use the help, and at least they are honest.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
20 million US helps solidify the Dominican Democrat Vote in "Nueba Yol, Nueba Yersi, Boston, Lawrence , and Providence.!
"Free Cheese" knows no BORDERS!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the funny thing is that there seems to be absolutely nothing on the internet about this program. there seems to be a serious amount of Dominican bashing, though.

makes you wonder, no?

also, the article seems to have no posted author...hmmmmm

Aug 21, 2007
the funny thing is that there seems to be absolutely nothing on the internet about this program. there seems to be a serious amount of Dominican bashing, though.

makes you wonder, no?

also, the article seems to have no posted author...hmmmmm

There IS information on the Internet about this program.

Dominican Republic USAID-Santo Domingo - Lighting Excitement for Excellency in Reading Activity | Publiconn

It is a US Federal grant that has not yet been awarded to anyone! It will probably not be awarded in its entirely to any one entity and is not for the DR government, but community based organizations.

Lindsey

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010