Im a plumber looking to retired soon in DR

lplumberman

Nov 19, 2014
If i wanted to keep busy by doing odd jobs [ plumbing ] 1st is there a need for a good plumber ? what could i charge ? ill be moving around Sosua

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Welcome.

Typically people, like me, have a handyman. This is a Dominican who has basic knowledge of plumbing, electrical, concrete ect. to come fix their houses when they have problems. There are a lot of these people around at varying competency levels. Most jobs are bid out. You tell them what they are willing to pay, they tell you what they are willing to take and you meet somewhere in the middle. It depends on the job, and on the Gringo.

I wouldn't think you'd get much work doing the basic stuff, or small repairs. Plumbing isn't really to code, or anything fancy down here. Maybe, just maybe you could specialize in pool systems, or diagnostics. I've had problems with proper grading and ventilation, which is common. Or maybe expats building higher dollar houses who want an expert.

I wouldn't even attempt anything like that until you've been here for a year. You'll need a Dominican helper to find the parts and tools you need and not get Gringo taxed! How's your Spanish?

My gardener/handy man/pool guy/plumber/electrician/gringo tax adviser/drinking buddy makes US$ 1.70 an hour. But, I have to watch what he does. He fixes things the Dominican way with spare parts and and cement. I want to do it the expensive American way, which isn't always possible. We meet in the middle and it works out well.

I'd probably pay a good Dominican plumber US$2.50- $5 an hour for a complicated project or diagnostics.

I'd probably pay a expat plumber $10 an hour to help design something new, or fix something no one else can

But, I can do most of it myself and understand the basics.

lplumberman

Nov 19, 2014
My Spanish suck ! for $ 2.50 ill sit on the beach and have a beer ! lol i would do higher end stuff , just to keep my mind busy , having a helper is a good idea , for waste pipe they use ABS or Cast ? How about water ? thxs for the info !!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
If you spanish sucks and you're new to the area, no way. The closest "Home Depot" is 2 1/2 hours away. Everything else is in small hardware stores and little shops. Sometimes you have to go to two or three stores to get what you need for one job.

All I've ever seen is PVC.

Best to sit on the beach and drink beer for a while. I've been here a year and a half, and I'm just starting the 'extra side money/ hobby' thing. I'm going to work with bamboo, try to make some furniture. Look like fun!, maybe pay my rum tab!

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
What's up my brother.....Welcome. I'm an old friend sent you a text to your phone. Good to see you here. LOL good times ahead

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
@ the omp.
Drsix really gave you some good advice. Learn the language, makes some friends, and retire for a year. Then when you get board you'll understand the lay of the land better and know enough year round expats to get your idea off the ground. Of your fair in price and reliable you can make some cash. Just learn Spanish so you can run a crew to do any labor work. I think you have a good idea. I would also look into knowing pool pump. Good luck.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well that escalated rather quickly...

what can i say. my mind cannot comprehend someone who does not have to work but wants to work. reminds me of my father who's still doing odd jobs despite his retirement. he's aptly nick named by my mom diarrhea because he does not stop...

just retire, man. didn't you work hard enough and long enough?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
what can i say. my mind cannot comprehend someone who does not have to work but wants to work. reminds me of my father who's still doing odd jobs despite his retirement. he's aptly nick named by my mom diarrhea because he does not stop...

it is not really working, dv8. it is occupation. take my case; i have spent most of my life dicking around with cars. now that i have retired, i still want to put that knowledge to use, albeit on my terms. no 9-5 job, just the occasional tinkering. that is why i have started my service to help people buy used cars. it eases the boredom, since the DR is not exactly the entertainment capital of the world, unless you want to be around barrio chicas 24/7.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009

He's young and likes to work. He will never stop working. Believe me he will find something to do. BTW awesome dude.

May 29, 2006
And for $2.50/hour, you get what you pay for, barely. But no way you can make even a quarter of what plumbers make in the US. I'd keep the skill a secret or you're going to be constantly asked for advice on plumbing that simply shouldn't exist and can't be readily repaired.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011

I am the same way. I can't sit around all the time. I need to be active and productive. That's one reason I am redoing Tropico Mar, so when I do retiring ten years I have my retirement job.

palmiche53

Dec 17, 2012
- Most countries (i.e Costa Rica) requires from Retired people to proof that they can settle as such in the country by depositing in a Bank Account the amount of money they need to live on and they have to use that money to renew the yearly residence. So you want to do to the Dominicans what illegals do in Canada/USA by taking employment away from the natives.
- You can make yourself busy by reading, exploring, fishing, taking Spanish lessons which are more beneficial to your new host country.
- The D.R. gets all type of predators , sexual predators, tax dodgers, criminals of different varieties and it is time to enforce the laws ans start with the illegal workers.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
... so when I do retiring ten years I have my retirement job.

People like you make it really hard for those of use who have spent a considerable amount time convincing our social secretaries that retirement means not having to do anything at all...:smoke:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is a major scarcity for good plumbing services. There is big demand in Santo Domingo, the capital. People would pay much more for the service. At present many jobs need to be done twice because of problems. Through references you could start taking cash jobs at family homes.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
People like you make it really hard for those of use who have spent a considerable amount time convincing our social secretaries that retirement means not having to do anything at all...:smoke:
What is a social secretaries? Well , how about you buy me a couple of beers and maybe I will slow down. :rolleyes:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What is a social secretaries? Well , how about you buy me a couple of beers and maybe I will slow down. :rolleyes:

If you have to ask, then you don't have one...

I am always interested in meeting new people. The last person who was foolish enough to tell me where they would be and when, now can't get rid of me. I see him at least once a week, same place same time.

When you get a social secretary or discover that you do in fact have one, have her contact mine...