Exporting food products for sale in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
A friend of mine who owns a mid-sized bread/pastry company in Santiago is interested in exporting food products for sale in the US. Does anyone have experience exporting products that knows the costs associated with it? The products are all packaged and sealed so it isn't something like fruits or vegetables, thank you.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A friend of mine who owns a mid-sized bread/pastry company in Santiago is interested in exporting food products for sale in the US. Does anyone have experience exporting products that knows the costs associated with it? The products are all packaged and sealed so it isn't something like fruits or vegetables, thank you.

is he intending to export baked goods to the USA? i cannot see how that can work, and here is why;

if he uses locally produced flour, i cannot see the products rising to the standard of being acceptable in the US.

if he uses imported flour, i cannot see how he can make them at a price at which people will buy them.

i wish him or her the very best. it is just that i have a lot of experience dealing with Dominican flour, and i cannot see how a product with that ingredient can survive in a market like the USA.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i also think that all ingred. have to be labeled, calories etc....take alook at some mex products...they are doing it

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Pan de Agua",........& "Dominican "Pastries"???????????????
Can't Lose!!!!!!!!
:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"Pan de Agua",........& "Dominican "Pastries"???????????????
Can't Lose!!!!!!!!
:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pan de agua would not last long enough to make the trip to Florida.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DUH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess "Jamaicans" just don't "GET",,..."Tongue-In-Cheek"????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
dats tru mon...whot is de bread jamaicons eat w/patties...?? dey 2 bisee drinkin the white...

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Does anyone have experience exporting from the DR to the US and know the costs associated?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
dats tru mon...whot is de bread jamaicons eat w/patties...?? dey 2 bisee drinkin the white...

you sound like a guy who has spent some time in Jamaica, perhaps Negril, where they have some good sensimilla. heck, you sound like you are posting from there, as we speak.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
One of my BILs got involved in it with a partner - one of their containers was held up in Miami [customs] and by the time it was released everything was spoiled. They lost their butts. Unless your friend has good - really good - connections, it can be a big risk.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
One of my BILs got involved in it with a partner - one of their containers was held up in Miami [customs] and by the time it was released everything was spoiled. They lost their butts. Unless your friend has good - really good - connections, it can be a big risk.

prepared food products? from the caribbean?

that is an idea which is looking for a beating.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Eating Too Much "JERK",.....

can make you ONE!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"AE" we get bread from the USA here in the DR,(Super Mercado National,...EXPENSIVE) but it comes by "Air"!
Dominican "Pastries" would be so low priced it wouldn't be profitable!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
can make you ONE!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"AE" we get bread from the USA here in the DR,(Super Mercado National,...EXPENSIVE) but it comes by "Air"!
Dominican "Pastries" would be so low priced it wouldn't be profitable!

true. just like syphilis makes you prematurely senile.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in all my years here i have heard lots of insane ideas but to export dominican bread anywhere takes the cake. literally and figuratively. dominican baking products are the worst i have ever tried, anywhere.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Now that you can't TRY and insult "Cobra Boy" anymore, you start on me!
"Bring It"!
You CLAIM to be the son of a Harvard educated doctor, and have Uncles & Cousins who are "Ministers", and "Prime Ministers" from Jamaica??????
They must all be so proud of your accomplishments in life!!!!!!!!
I mean,..."Domino Champ" of Puerto Plata '???????
"Colmadon Sitter"??????
Cool!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You suffer from what is commonly called,..."Small Man Syndrome".
Or, sometimes a "Napoleonic Complex".
Your fixation on insulting men like "CB" and ME, just because we Tower Over You, not just in stature but in so MANY Ways, is making you miserable.
Get Over IT!!!!!!

WHAT,...."dv" you don't like cakes made only from sugar & lard????????

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
prepared food products? from the caribbean?

that is an idea which is looking for a beating.

No, in their case it was fruits. To me, anything that has a shelf life/can spoil is in the same category as far as customs hold-ups are concerned.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Now that you can't TRY and insult "Cobra Boy" anymore, you start on me!
"Bring It"!
You CLAIM to be the son of a Harvard educated doctor, and have Uncles & Cousins who are "Ministers", and "Prime Ministers" from Jamaica??????
They must all be so proud of your accomplishments in life!!!!!!!!
I mean,..."Domino Champ" of Puerto Plata '???????
"Colmadon Sitter"??????
Cool!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

if you and cobraboy left me alone, there would be no insults. the problem is that you are both bullies who like to start nonsense with people, and you have run into one guy who will not take your crap. you are a moderator, and you should know better than baiting people into verbal exchanges. you don't see the other moderators doing it. even Robert, who owns the site, treats all the posters with equal respect. you, on the other hand, use your position as a bully pulpit to torture other people, knowing that you operate from a position of semi- immunity. you might have a lot of fanboys who think your antics are endearing; i am not on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.