Shower Glass Panel

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Does anyone know where I can buy a fixed shower glass panel on the North Coast or Santiago? Also, how much would it cost? I guess it would be say 5ft - 6ft in height and probably 4ft-5ft in length?

(I'm talking about a single sheet of glass that is fixed to the wall and protects the rest of the bathroom from getting wet).

Thanks

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I dealt with that last year. There are a bunch of places in Santiago where you can buy the glass, - Bellon and Ochoa stores have it, then smaller specialized glass places. The cost is about 5-6K but it's really, really hard to find the tempered glass more than 100cm in length as this seems to be the standard size, you may have to go for SD if you want that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we are installing those in our bathrooms (POP). my SIL is dealing with the renovations so i will ask her the details and let you know.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, i got the detailsof the guy who will do our glass. it's gonna be a single sheet, roughly a size of a standard door. estimated price is 10k pesos. or rather this is what my SIL paid last year for the same thing. i will let you know exact price when we fork the bill. it will be tempered glass or whatever it is called. the one that shatters into millions of small grains, like car windows.

the company is vepca puertas y ventanas. puerto plata. guy's name is francisco but everyone calls him frico. 849 785 0505.

i will post pictures when it is installed and let you know if we are happy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm not sure. they are putting tiles in our bathroom already but there is a guest bathroom to be fixed too. i am not sure if both sheets will be fitted together (in 10 days i guess) or they will be done one by one (then maybe monday). i tried to engage in this whole business but dealing with the plumber left me thirsty for murder so i am not asking too many questions now. i've been calming myself down with cosmopolitans all this week too. so maybe i'll be in rehab by the time the glass arrives. :bored:

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
There is a place in Santiago that has what you want. They can custom etch any design you want on the glass or you can choose from a variety of stock designs. I forget the name of the place, it's on Calle 15 beside the Lumijor bakery on Ave. Rafael Vidal I purchased two shower enclosures and with installation they came to a little over 30K pesos. There is one fixed piece of glass and the second is a glass door that swings inward towards the shower. After a year and half they still don't leak and the hardware has not corroded.

If you are interest I will swing by on my way to work tomorrow and get the name and number of the place.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
wow, thanks! it is 5 pm somewhere, right? because i need to chill. :cheeky:

back in the UK.... it's 5pm

just close your eyes and click your heels......and follow the yellow brick road

Dorota must be Dorothy in Polish... no ?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, dorota is dorothy in polish. comes from greek and it means "gift of god". it's as good a gift as pandora's box.

anyways, we had the guy from the glass company. he does tempered glass but we opted for laminated, based on his recommendation. tempered glass crashes into small pieces. laminated glass stays together,even when it breaks. it does not fall apart as it is held together but the layer of some whatever thing sandwiched between two layers of glass. he thought it is a better option for bathroom so that in case the glass breaks you can safely get out from the shower without walking on crushed glass.

i saw a short video on his iphone of that glass. he shot it from escopeta and made a hole in the glass but it did not fall apart or fall out of the frame. cool thing.

he will quote us tomorrow (apparently frosting glass is charged per pound so he needs to calculate that). speaks english and seemed very professional. i like him already. hopefully i will like the price :)