Renting an Apt --Paying for Electricity

MorenoGringo

Nov 22, 2014
Hi, Im new to DR1 (although I've been sporadically reading the posts for over a year). I just rented an apartment in Zona Colonial and I must admit that mi espanol todavia no es perfecto. But when the lady explained that I had to pay for my own electricity and approximately how much it would cost a month, my spanish failed me.

Cam anyone explain the process of getting electricity. How do i get it turned on? How much would the bill be roughly for a studio (I have an AC unit but don't plan to use it. This isn't my first rodeo in the tropics). Thanks guys.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Cant help you on the details, but in general your main concern after the turn on is others stealing electricity from you, they can be genius in their methods.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Assuming you have a lease or rental agreement, take that and your passport to the CEDEE office on Ave. Independencia, they will have you fill out a form that guesstimates your electricity useage - then you will need to pay a small deposit and they will have a crew sent

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
If you rent without electricity the normal way is to take a contract with the electric company. Ask your landlord where you have to go and take your renting contract with you. The contract will e at least Peso 1300 depending how many electric you will use. Then you get a invoice ones a month depending how much you will use.
Thats the legal way, I would recommend.

The other way is stealing electricity, and what I read here before their are a lot of experts who can give you their advises
Hi, Im new to DR1 (although I've been sporadically reading the posts for over a year). I just rented an apartment in Zona Colonial and I must admit that mi espanol todavia no es perfecto. But when the lady explained that I had to pay for my own electricity and approximately how much it would cost a month, my spanish failed me.

Cam anyone explain the process of getting electricity. How do i get it turned on? How much would the bill be roughly for a studio (I have an AC unit but don't plan to use it. This isn't my first rodeo in the tropics). Thanks guys.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
You will also most likely have to pay for the meter to get electricity.

I think it was RD$2,500 when we set up our account. We're in Santiago though.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I never heart about they charge for the meter. If their is no meter for your apartment, they will set a meter or charge you a certain amount each month. (thats better if you use your AC)
You will also most likely have to pay for the meter to get electricity.

I think it was RD$2,500 when we set up our account. We're in Santiago though.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I never heart about they charge for the meter. If their is no meter for your apartment, they will set a meter or charge you a certain amount each month. (thats better if you use your AC)

Here in Santiago with Edenorte you have to buy the meter in order to get electrical service. When you move or don't need the meter anymore Edenorte will buy it back from you.

It's like a deposit.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
VERY IMPORTANT, you MUST make sure that the previous tenant did not move leaving an unpaid bill!
It will need to be paid, before you get a "Hook Up"!
"One guy",...small apt, no "AIR", although you WILL be turning it on to get any sleep, about 1 to 2,000 a month, add a few thousand more, depending on how much you, "Don't Plan To Use The "AIR"!!!!!
"AIR", not only keeps you COOL, itkeeps your apt. cleaner, and MUCH quieter at night with the windows CLOSED!
Can You Say "COLMADO"???????

Please post again after a few months and tell us how you got "Hooked Up", and your monthly bill.

AND, how much MORE it is costing you to survive here, than you "Guesstimated"????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I live in Santiago, have 60 apartments each have a meter and the meters belong to Ede Norte, never paid a peso for them. You pay for the contract depending how many electricity you use. They ask you about AC how many lamps, micro and so on. After that they send somebody to check where the meter has to be set up. If you paid for your meter, try, you will be surprised.
to get the money back when you leave
Here in Santiago with Edenorte you have to buy the meter in order to get electrical service. When you move or don't need the meter anymore Edenorte will buy it back from you.

It's like a deposit.