Have title but no property...help!!

Sitian

Jul 21, 2014
Well actually a friend of mine, an American, in 1995, bought some 600+ square meters of land just outside of Puerto Plata thinking he would build a house on it sometime. When he came back some 3 years later to see his property, a house was being built on it. Confused, he ran around asking questions but got the run around and was basically told he abandoned the land and so it was taken back by the developer. He naively thought he lost his land even though he still has the title, a lot number on it, and a survey of the lot.

He is now trying to reclaim his land again but keeps running into all sorts of roadblocks. One lawyer who, upon seeing the title, said he is in fact the owner. But that lawyer soon stopped communicating with him. Another lawyer was hired. He found the developer of the land and was promised by the developer that compensation with a similar sized lot would be arranged. But after 3 weeks, the compensation was reduced to a much smaller lot and he would have to pay all additional thousands in legal and surveying fees.

The property has quadrupled in value since he bought it. It had nice view. He wants it back but is at a loss as to what to do at this point. Any one can help with a suggestion? Has this happened to anyone on this forum before? HELP!

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
he ran around asking questions but got the run around and was basically told he abandoned the land and so it was taken back by the developer.
!

The developer knew there was an owner with a deed and just started to build on the land? Is there any such thing as abandoned property in DR and what are the conditions for desertion?

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
@ o.p. if you need Guido contact info message me.
When I purchased my latest project the seller tried some shady sh$t. Guido stopped it with a one sentence email. He is very well respected my locals and expats. Good luck.

Sitian

Jul 21, 2014
The developer knew there was an owner with a deed and just started to build on the land? Is there any such thing as abandoned property in DR and what are the conditions for desertion?

He came to DR on a 1 week vacation and saw a construction crew on his lot building a house. The people he did speak to frustrated his efforts to find out what was happening. They must have somehow convinced him that under the law he abandoned the property for some reason but I am only guessing now.

Sitian

Jul 21, 2014
The lawyer he spoke to said that it is very difficult to acquire a property by "adverse possession" or by claiming the property is abandoned. Upon seeing his title and other documents, he told him that this is still his property. Yet that lawyer stopped communicating with him (perhaps he is friends with the developer? who knows). The developer has been very evasive with a second lawyer (missing meetings, not answering the phone). He at first offered full compensation but now he is only offering a much smaller undesirable lot as compensation which my friend has to pay legal fees and surveying fees for.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
He was ready to start ligation with my situation He knows real estate and what the land owner needs are the facts. Guido is a great place to start.

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
A similar thing happened to a some friends in Spain they built a home had been living in it for over a year when a guy turns up what are you doing on my land …..Luckily he sold the land to them at a very good price for him………but they were happy to pay by Spanish law he had the right to say off my land and keep the home, I don’t know if that applies here in the DR. good luck

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
yes,,,,land was built on by others...yhey either pay, or move the house or leave...

Beenaway

May 27, 2013
This sounds like the classic Dominican scam - have someone build a house on your land without title then take it for yourself. This could work out very nicely for your friend..... one for the good guys - love it!