Do I need a Cedula?

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Our temp residents expired last year and when I discovered what the DR government wanted both money and personal details, I decided not to renew. Our Cedula expires sometime in 2015, no month details on the ID. I called around and was told by a lawyer that to renew your Cedula you have to renew your residents. Don't really want to do that. Can any me tell me why I would need a Cedula? We have a home and have lived here for 9 years. thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you want to legally drive in the DR? Then yes you want a cedula so you can get a DR license and be legal.
Do you mind paying the exit fee whenever you leave the DR after exceeding the tourist card time limit?

One of our members can tell you how he has avoided residency for years. Being illegal works for him. Personally, I had my residency before I moved here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What you should do is get your DR license before your Cedula expires.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Yes and No.
I believe that tourist (Tourist Card) may drive up to 90 days.
Since I have a different reason to exit and return ?No Problema!

DS

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Your residency and Cedula are usually expired at the same time unless you received them at a different time. When you renew your cedula they ask for your residency card. The amount of money the government asks for is pretty small on the grand scale of things and the personal info they ask for is not very invasive. What are you trying to hide?

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think you already answered your own question when you decided not to renew your residency. If you are not a resident, no you don't need a cedula because the two compliment each other and both are a requirement.

I believe there is a thread elsewhere on DR1 suggesting that old style cedulas all expire early next year. I may be mistaken.

Without residency, no cedula. How will not being a resident affect you going forward. Maybe badly, maybe not. Worst case scenario; It is somehow determined that you are living here without status and they boot you out of the country and squatters move into your house and steal all your stuff. Is this likely? Probably not until the clamp down is announced. Is it possible, sure it is. It wont just be you, it'll be you and everyone here with you that is undocumented heading home.

The overstay fees were just increased and the information I have been told is they will increase at least three more times over the next 18 months. These are expected to be substantial retroactive increases. If the last entry stamp in your passport is 9 years ago, the plane tickets will be cheaper than the cost to get on the plane.

All in all it appears to be a dumb question. I suspect you are looking to legitimize or at least mitigate in your own mind the decision to place your continued existence in the Dr at risk by seeking approval from others who are in the same boat. Isn't that kind of like throwing a drowning person a cell phone to call for help? - pointless.

In my books, anyone who goes to the trouble of getting residency and then let's it lapse due to sloth is being exceptionally foolish.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
"foolish" might be considered by some a skosh too forceful. If that's the case then, substitute "shortsighted".

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Hein ? I need a cedula to drive here ??? Oups...

You need a Dominican licence to drive here legally after the tourist visa expires (although many people take a chance and don't bother). And you can't get a Dominican licence without a cedula.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
I just shake my head when people say no need to get residency or a cedula yet complain about illegal aliens or open borders in their own home country.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Our temp residents expired last year and when I discovered what the DR government wanted both money and personal details, I decided not to renew. Our Cedula expires sometime in 2015, no month details on the ID. I called around and was told by a lawyer that to renew your Cedula you have to renew your residents. Don't really want to do that. Can any me tell me why I would need a Cedula? We have a home and have lived here for 9 years. thanks

If you already have it than renew it. The residency and immigration laws are changing and it might get to point in the future that you will need documentation that you are a legal resident. You are crazy if you don't go through the renewal process. It's much easier than possibly having to start over at some point down the road.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
wow you guys are a tough crowd. I was told by our lawyer, in order to renew our residents and cedula, by the way they expired at different times, almost a year apart though both were received at the same time. We had to submit documentation showing all bank account details in the DR and outside, as will as income, and other very personal information. I see no reason to provided that level of personal information to the DR government. So do I have anything to hide? Not really, just don't want to reveal this level of personal information.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
wow you guys are a tough crowd. I was told by our lawyer, in order to renew our residents and cedula, by the way they expired at different times, almost a year apart though both were received at the same time. We had to submit documentation showing all bank account details in the DR and outside, as will as income, and other very personal information. I see no reason to provided that level of personal information to the DR government. So do I have anything to hide? Not really, just don't want to reveal this level of personal information.

Then don't renew it. Providing all that information is the only way to keep your status legal. After 9 years I would think you would be aware of the advantages of having a residency/cedula/DR driver's license. If based on your lifestyle, time spent in the DR, legal requirements, etc. you find you don't need it, then pay the overstay tax on departure (which is supposed to continue going up) and that's that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bear in mind there is a fine of 400 pesos a month for expired residency. the longer you wait the more it will cost you to renew if you change your mind. if you have nothing to hide it, why does it bother you?

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
they may have all this information on file, but rest assured that they probably would never find it in the future.
efficiency is not a dominican government virtue

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes and No.
I believe that tourist (Tourist Card) may drive up to 90 days.
Since I have a different reason to exit and return ?No Problema!

DS

I think you can drive legally only for 30 days on a tourist card. The 90 day limit for a driver's license is when you are applying for residency or other special visas tourists do not get, but do verify this.