Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I need a Cedula?

Our temp residents expired last year and when I discovered what the DR government wanted both money and personal details, I decided not to renew. Our Cedula expires sometime in 2015, no month details on the ID. I called around and was told by a lawyer that to renew your Cedula you have to renew your residents. Don't really want to do that. Can any me tell me why I would need a Cedula? We have a home and have lived here for 9 years. thanks

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you want to legally drive in the DR? Then yes you want a cedula so you can get a DR license and be legal.
    Do you mind paying the exit fee whenever you leave the DR after exceeding the tourist card time limit?

One of our members can tell you how he has avoided residency for years. Being illegal works for him. Personally, I had my residency before I moved here.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

What you should do is get your DR license before your Cedula expires.

4. Likes Harleysrock, Olly, zoomzx11 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by No Place Like Home View Post
    Our temp residents expired last year and when I discovered what the DR government wanted both money and personal details
    what's the problem? they are not asking for anything new, simply for resubmitting the paperwork.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hein ? I need a cedula to drive here ??? Oups...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes and No.
    I believe that tourist (Tourist Card) may drive up to 90 days.
    Since I have a different reason to exit and return íNo Problema!

DS

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Your residency and Cedula are usually expired at the same time unless you received them at a different time. When you renew your cedula they ask for your residency card. The amount of money the government asks for is pretty small on the grand scale of things and the personal info they ask for is not very invasive. What are you trying to hide?
    Last edited by bob saunders; 11-23-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you already answered your own question when you decided not to renew your residency. If you are not a resident, no you don't need a cedula because the two compliment each other and both are a requirement.

I believe there is a thread elsewhere on DR1 suggesting that old style cedulas all expire early next year. I may be mistaken.

Without residency, no cedula. How will not being a resident affect you going forward. Maybe badly, maybe not. Worst case scenario; It is somehow determined that you are living here without status and they boot you out of the country and squatters move into your house and steal all your stuff. Is this likely? Probably not until the clamp down is announced. Is it possible, sure it is. It wont just be you, it'll be you and everyone here with you that is undocumented heading home.

The overstay fees were just increased and the information I have been told is they will increase at least three more times over the next 18 months. These are expected to be substantial retroactive increases. If the last entry stamp in your passport is 9 years ago, the plane tickets will be cheaper than the cost to get on the plane.

All in all it appears to be a dumb question. I suspect you are looking to legitimize or at least mitigate in your own mind the decision to place your continued existence in the Dr at risk by seeking approval from others who are in the same boat. Isn't that kind of like throwing a drowning person a cell phone to call for help? - pointless.

In my books, anyone who goes to the trouble of getting residency and then let's it lapse due to sloth is being exceptionally foolish.

10. Likes windeguy, TP666, jinty05 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

"foolish" might be considered by some a skosh too forceful. If that's the case then, substitute "shortsighted".

12. Dislikes TP666 disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlise View Post
    Hein ? I need a cedula to drive here ??? Oups...
    You need a Dominican licence to drive here legally after the tourist visa expires (although many people take a chance and don't bother). And you can't get a Dominican licence without a cedula.

14. Likes TP666 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast