My rotary saws go in reverse here. Doe anyone have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2006
Perhaps you could (a) turn the plug the other way around, or (b) flip the blade around the other way.

It is worth a try...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The flippant answer is that your saw has become Dominicanized...welcome to the DR.

The more carefully thought and reasoned answer is that the polarity of the outlet is reversed. Is this a really old circular saw or a newer model with one prong on the plug larger than the other?

Aug 6, 2006
You can try using a "cheater" plug adapter and then switching it around the other way.
It is possible that the socket is wired with the hot wire and the return wire switched.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
DRperson - is it a THREE Phase Motor ? I know that is unlikely here ?

Olly and the Team

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
The flippant answer is that your saw has become Dominicanized...welcome to the DR.

The more carefully thought and reasoned answer is that the polarity of the outlet is reversed. Is this a really old circular saw or a newer model with one prong on the plug larger than the other?

This happened to our company once after they "repaired" it. We had to call them back...

Aug 6, 2006
A rotary saw is a power tool that used a disc with teeth as a blade. I have never seen one that had a reverse gear. i cannot imagine what would be the advantage of a reverse gear on a rotary saw.

If the blade is mounted backward, the teeth will face the direction opposite to the way it must turn to cut. Reinstall the blade, and it should work.

May 29, 2006
Maybe it's an Australian saw??? :)

The pointy part of the blade should be coming up into the wood from below.. If that's not the case, then there is a blade error.

I was working with this guy who was setting up a radial arm saw and he had the blade turned around. I pointed this out to him and he of course said he "knew what he was doing." So I just shrugged as he tried to rip a groove in a 2x4 and the saw sucked the wood in. He was lucky he didn't get his hand sucked in. There's a reason radial arm saws are not around anymore...

May 29, 2006
They are still around. My nephew has one in his furniture shop in Tenn.

Yeah, my dad had a Craftsman since before I was born and just sold it like five years ago. They are pretty much being replaced by the lightweight compound miter saws and table saws(for rip cuts), but they are still the best tool for production work. My dad built several houses with that saw as the main tool.

At one site I worked at, the foreman said the 14" saw had taken off two hands over the years. They are not to be trifled with. That's a big saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.