Help! how to configurate CLARO ADSL MODEM

adimundo

Nov 30, 2006
Well, last 3 weeks, I was fighting with Claro's internet, it just keep dropping.. and report twice, first Claro technician came said it was problem with the ADSL filter, and said the problem will solved if I replace the filter.. well next day went to ferreteria and replace the filter.. but the internet it just keep dropping.. the 2nd Claro's technician came said the problem should be with Huawei's modem, and his recommendation is buy a new modem, not here, buy it in amazon, ebay etc.. he said Huawei modem "No sirve" even they have problem with new modem for fiber
optics.. now..well I ordered TP-LINK ADSL2+ modem router...from Amazon.. just came yesterday..
and plug everything.. and just can't work..

Somebody use their own ADSL modem, and how did you configure it?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Hope this helps - something i saved a long time ago -

When you buy a wireless router it is not secure and its default configuration will allow unwanted users that are in the vicinity of your router to connect to the internet and “steal” your wireless router internet connection. They could also gain access to your PC and steal files and folders of data. Manufacturers leave the configuration “open” so that the user can easily set up the router and get it up and running quickly.

Accessing Your Wireless Router's Configuration.
To gain access to your wireless router settings and configuration menu then connect to the router either wirelessly or via a Ethernet cable. Open a web browser and type either:
http://192.168.1.1 or
http://192.168.2.1

Change the Admin password.
Most wireless routers ship with a blank password. It is essential that this is changed else a potential hacker could get into your router configuration and lock you out of your own hardware.

Change The Network Name (otherwise known as the SSID).
The default network name is usually made up of the name/model of your wireless router. This information gives a head start for a hacker and makes it easier for them to break into your network. Don't rename it to something like your surname or house name as this unnecessarily exposes personal information. Rename it to an alpha-numeric string - this can be up to 32 characters long.

Turn off SSID broadcasting.
By default, a wireless router's SSID is broadcast so anyone in the vicinity of your wireless router can see that it. SSID broadcasting can be turned off thus making your wireless router virtually invisible.

Enabling Encryption.
This is switched off by default. There is a choice of WEP, WPA and WPA2. Currently the latest encryption method is WPA2 so use this where possible. Both your wireless router and wireless PC adaptor must be configured to use the same encryption

Mac Address Control.
All hardware has a unique MAC address associated with it, including your PC adaptor card. This MAC address can be added to access control list in the wireless router. Only devices added to the router's access control list are allowed to be connected.

Update router firmware.
It is recommended that the latest router firmware is downloaded from the manufacturer's website and installed in the router. This will hopefully fix any bugs that have been found for your router and also help with any known security flaws in the router itself.

Backup settings.
Finally, backup all router settings. If you reset the router back to its factory default settings for whatever reason, your configuration can later be easily and quickly restored back into the router.

Alexandradebrian

Jun 8, 2013
Configurate

Well, last 3 weeks, I was fighting with Claro's internet, it just keep dropping.. and report twice, first Claro technician came said it was problem with the ADSL filter, and said the problem will solved if I replace the filter.. well next day went to ferreteria and replace the filter.. but the internet it just keep dropping.. the 2nd Claro's technician came said the problem should be with Huawei's modem, and his recommendation is buy a new modem, not here, buy it in amazon, ebay etc.. he said Huawei modem "No sirve" even they have problem with new modem for fiber
optics.. now..well I ordered TP-LINK ADSL2+ modem router...from Amazon.. just came yesterday..
and plug everything.. and just can't work..

Somebody use their own ADSL modem, and how did you configure it?

Can you please explain the meaning of 'Configurate' - I cannot figure it out.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Can you please explain the meaning of 'Configurate' - I cannot figure it out.

If you don't understand above. I recommand finding a person that does. Unless you buy another modem from claro you are going to have to setup the modem. Without knowing the make, model and firmware of your modem plus some of the unique settings of your modem. No one will be able to help.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go on the street and find a Claro truck. Offer the guy some money to come with you to your house and program it. Once you find someone and deal with him whenever you have a problem you call him, not Claro.

Works for me for many years.

adimundo

Nov 30, 2006
Thank for the reply.. but I think this is will help to configure Wireless Router.. not a Modem...

Hope this helps - something i saved a long time ago -

When you buy a wireless router it is not secure and its default configuration will allow unwanted users that are in the vicinity of your router to connect to the internet and ?steal? your wireless router internet connection. They could also gain access to your PC and steal files and folders of data. Manufacturers leave the configuration ?open? so that the user can easily set up the router and get it up and running quickly.

Accessing Your Wireless Router's Configuration.
To gain access to your wireless router settings and configuration menu then connect to the router either wirelessly or via a Ethernet cable. Open a web browser and type either:
http://192.168.1.1 or
http://192.168.2.1

Change the Admin password.
Most wireless routers ship with a blank password. It is essential that this is changed else a potential hacker could get into your router configuration and lock you out of your own hardware.

Change The Network Name (otherwise known as the SSID).
The default network name is usually made up of the name/model of your wireless router. This information gives a head start for a hacker and makes it easier for them to break into your network. Don't rename it to something like your surname or house name as this unnecessarily exposes personal information. Rename it to an alpha-numeric string - this can be up to 32 characters long.

Turn off SSID broadcasting.
By default, a wireless router's SSID is broadcast so anyone in the vicinity of your wireless router can see that it. SSID broadcasting can be turned off thus making your wireless router virtually invisible.

Enabling Encryption.
This is switched off by default. There is a choice of WEP, WPA and WPA2. Currently the latest encryption method is WPA2 so use this where possible. Both your wireless router and wireless PC adaptor must be configured to use the same encryption

Mac Address Control.
All hardware has a unique MAC address associated with it, including your PC adaptor card. This MAC address can be added to access control list in the wireless router. Only devices added to the router's access control list are allowed to be connected.

Update router firmware.
It is recommended that the latest router firmware is downloaded from the manufacturer's website and installed in the router. This will hopefully fix any bugs that have been found for your router and also help with any known security flaws in the router itself.

Backup settings.
Finally, backup all router settings. If you reset the router back to its factory default settings for whatever reason, your configuration can later be easily and quickly restored back into the router.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You had very bad luck with the Claro technicians that 'helped' you. The ones that I needed always at least tried to help me and would never say: buy this, do that, they would leave when it was working, no matter if it meant changing modem, filter, or switch outside the house. Last time they decided to change us to fiber optics already to fix the problems I was regularly having (taking them two days with 6-8 people working on it).

The fiber optics modem is excellent, never had an issue with it. If the modem Claro provides is the problem, they should give you another one, you shouldn't need to buy your own modem and try to configure it.

Siberian Bear

Jul 4, 2014
usually, something to connect the ADSL modem
need to know the username and password provider
without Man-Claro can not do ....

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Adimundo, where are you located? I think I can help you. PM me.

You will have to select PPPoA mode for WAN connection, not PPPoE, and choose "my provide does not require authorisation / login". Change VPI/VCI to 0/33. Hope that helps. If not - PM me. I am in Sosua.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
The technicians that came to your house are horrible.

If it was the filter they should have had an extra one and popped it in for you right then and there.

If it was the modem they should have gotten you another one from Claro, you don't need to pay for that yourself.

Bred is right on the money though. You can't just connect a modem to a DSL line, it needs to have authorization first. You need to get into the modem and configure it how Bred mentioned.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Claro modems do not require authorization from Claro if they are properly configured. Unlike it is with De Lancer, you can bring your own device with Claro and use it. De Lancer needs to authorize your modem MAC address in their system. Claro does automatic authorization by the phone line (phone number) from where your modem is trying to connect.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Claro modems do not require authorization from Claro if they are properly configured. Unlike it is with De Lancer, you can bring your own device with Claro and use it. De Lancer needs to authorize your modem MAC address in their system. Claro does automatic authorization by the phone line (phone number) from where your modem is trying to connect.

I didn't know that. Good to know for future reference!

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
If you pay for 5MBit (or more) download and your line is too noisy, the modem will still try to connect at 5MBit, but not being able to hold the connection at that speed will drop it and try to re-connect. That will continue countless number of times. Once you switch to slower speed, the modem will maintain slower connection on the same poor line MUCH better.

Feb 7, 2007
As JDJones and Bred say, it's 100% on the point.

I have 3mbps and sometimes it's fine sometimes it's sh**t. When EdeEste starts playing with the pwoer switch (on-off-on-off-on), after power comes back on frequently I can just take an hour-long vacation from the 'Net. I will get so strong intermittence that it's not worth being online ... I completely disconnect modem and line and let it "rest". I get tons of CRC errors, and disconnects every minute, 45 seconds to connect, 15-20 seconds connected, dropped, rinse and repeat. I have narrowed it down to electromagnetic interference of EdeEste lines/transformers because when there is no power (like whole day outage) I do not get a single CRC error or line drop. Also the best period without line drops is 2 am to 2 pm, worst period 6 pm to 10 pm.

I was told multiple times to downgrade my line to 1 meg!!! (from 3). Claro's networks is s***t because my attenuation and SNR would support a 6 meg service on any carrier with reasonable underground network as per ADSL2+ line speed chart.

In the past, I get a pair changed. Now I am requesting a pair change and they always come back saying that the line technician ran tests and line is OK. Apparently he did not run the test at the time it gives problems, because the errors and intermittence are not constant. I have had periods of 48+ hours without disconnects. I always tell them they need to run the test when the problem is happening, to get to my house when I call a tech that the "problem is under way", of course... not possible with Claro.

Some days are OK with very few disconnects and some days are s***t. I am not changing to 1 meg or even 2 megs. I will run my own fiber optics from a place that can get 15 megs service without problems about half a kilometer away.

Also look for Billion BiPAC 7800N modem, you might need to buy it in the UK. It's the BEST modem in the world for long and noisy lines. Read the worldwide reviews. You can bump up your target SNR which can give more stability to your line. Basically what happens is that when a noise burst occurs, the SNR drops below 0, and the connection drops. By bumping up the target SNR by 6-7 dB, when noise burst occurs, you may get a slow connection for couple of seconds, but the line will not drop, because SNR will still be above 0. I have bought it but UK seller is out of stock, they say they will ship before the end of the month.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
I am not changing to 1 meg or even 2 megs. I will run my own fiber optics from a place that can get 15 megs service without problems about half a kilometer away.

I am not getting high speed from Claro where I live due to the above problems. But I get a reliable high-speed wireless link from another place that gets VDSL from Claro at approx 16-17 MBps. I am not loosing anything via the air, as the equipment says my connection between the two antennas varies from 30MBps to 100MBps. I think it is cheaper and more reliable than to run a fiber optic cable.