New to Here and to the DR...

ScriptySandy

Nov 26, 2014
Hi there,

I am Sandy - from Vancouver BC Canada, I work in the film industry as a script supervisor. I am making my first trip to the DR in two weeks, to Sosua. I booked it not knowing much of anything about the town other than I had been looking at real estate in the DR and liked what I saw there so thought I'd come and check out the area and have a look at some properties for sale (with an eye to spending 4-6 months of the year in the Caribbean once I semi-retire).

So I am here to ask some questions and hopefully make some friends.

Thanks and I am looking forward to maybe meeting some of you in person soon!

Sandy

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Welcome. IMHO that's not a good idea. Unless you have buckets of money to tie up for a very long time, you should come here and live for a year before even considering buying real estate. That is if you are planning on moving here in the future. If you are just looking for vacation property to be used from time to time, there is lots you can rent on an ongoing basis or month to month.

It is very easy to buy here but very difficult to sell when you want to or need to. Most Dominicans can't afford to buy your property and most foreigners know better than to buy your property unless they have buckets of money and don't care.

What you saw on the internet about property is most likely not an accurate representation of the reality. The internet lies and deceives. A picture of a house that looks wonderful may have been taken 5 years ago. That type of thing.

You do not yet have the knowledge or understanding of the DR, it's people , or the practicalities of living here. Real Estate is the last thing you should be thinking about on your first visit here or anywhere for that matter.

Friends, however, are cheap and plentiful.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Welcome. IMHO that's not a good idea. Unless you have buckets of money to tie up for a very long time, you should come here and live for a year before even considering buying real estate. That is if you are planning on moving here in the future. If you are just looking for vacation property to be used from time to time, there is lots you can rent on an ongoing basis or month to month.

It is very easy to buy here but very difficult to sell when you want to or need to. Most Dominicans can't afford to buy your property and most foreigners know better than to buy your property unless they have buckets of money and don't care.

What you saw on the internet about property is most likely not an accurate representation of the reality. The internet lies and deceives. A picture of a house that looks wonderful may have been taken 5 years ago. That type of thing.

You do not yet have the knowledge or understanding of the DR, it's people , or the practicalities of living here. Real Estate is the last thing you should be thinking about on your first visit here or anywhere for that matter.

Friends, however, are cheap and plentiful.

that should be friends in quotation marks. "friends".

Jul 28, 2014
Hi there,

I am Sandy - from Vancouver BC Canada, I work in the film industry as a script supervisor. I am making my first trip to the DR in two weeks, to Sosua. I booked it not knowing much of anything about the town other than I had been looking at real estate in the DR and liked what I saw there so thought I'd come and check out the area and have a look at some properties for sale (with an eye to spending 4-6 months of the year in the Caribbean once I semi-retire).

Sandy

Scripty, go to Sosua, stay a month or so, and get the feel of being here an extended period. While there, trip into the Jolly Roger and meet up with the gringos in there, they will give you a wealth of info, free of B.S.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Welcome Sandy I can agree with Cdngringo... come visit, give longer term renting a try before you buy. We are still looking around and this is winter number 6. Lots of good rental option on both the North and East coasts.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Been living here full time since November 2011 and still renting. No intentions of buying.

Before getting stuck with land or house, better get to know the country, people and customs first... You may not like or be able to adapt to what you will find. Many have tried and only a few succeed.. Trust me. But if you have a open mind and a cold heart, you will love it here and adapt.

The only rule to remember; Trust no one ! You'll do just fine.

From a woman from Qu?bec, living here and loving it.

ScriptySandy

Nov 26, 2014
I have no intentions of buying anything. I am coming for a month to see if it is somewhere I could even think about living and I am looking at real estate for the exact reason you warn about - to see if what is online is an accurate representation and to see exactly what is available at what prices in what sort of area/neighbourhoods. I have travelled to several islands in the Caribbean and have not settled on one to retire to yet. I have several more to see before I do.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi there,

Sandy

There are a lot of properties for sale on the North Coast. It certainly does not hurt to look and educate yourself as to what is out there. Just remember in the DR, security should be your #1 priority, being a gringa and having money you will always to a target. Please be careful when in Sosua. Do not wear expensive jewerly, watches or carry around a large purse. Leave them, hopefully in a safe where you are staying. Guard your cell phone and any other electronics you may bring. In case you don't already know, prostitution is legal in the DR and you will find it abundant in Sosua so pick your nightlife spots wisely. A single women out at night is a target so be careful. I'm sorry to be so negative but just remember you are not in Kansas anymore or in your case Vancover.
Link up with other North Americans and you'll have a great time. If you have time for a day trip go up to the Samana Peninsual and Las Terrenas. Great scenery, great beaches and more laid back than the North Coast. Check out the tourist guide at the top of the Northeast thread. Bon chance, Buenos suarte and have fun.

ScriptySandy

Nov 26, 2014
Thanks, LTSteve, for the advice. I do have a safe in my room and that's where valuables will go. I am not into nightlife per se so won't be at any clubs; I might go out to a bar with other tourists etc for a drink now and then but that's all.

As for the other safety precautions, will do. And I was thinking about a trip to Samana for a day or two, if there is a nice bus to go on.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks, LTSteve, for the advice. I do have a safe in my room and that's where valuables will go. I am not into nightlife per se so won't be at any clubs; I might go out to a bar with other tourists etc for a drink now and then but that's all.

As for the other safety precautions, will do. And I was thinking about a trip to Samana for a day or two, if there is a nice bus to go on.

Just a word Sandy.....be careful what you leave in the hotel safe, lots of people have had lots of "stuff" stolen from them [cash, electronics, jewelry, etc.].

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sosua is a sunny place for lots of shady people. Be careful in Sosua.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Just a word Sandy.....be careful what you leave in the hotel safe, lots of people have had lots of "stuff" stolen from them [cash, electronics, jewelry, etc.].

This is not the" hotel" safe but one that is her room. She should be fine there

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

There is a bus called Transporte Las Terrenas. It leaves for Puerta Plata, which is down the road from Sosua, at 6:30 AM from Las Terrenas daily. I am not sure when the return bus is. Here is the number, 809-240-5302. Hopefully you will be able to get the details. You can probably catch this bus somewhere in Sosua. It is probably about a 2.5 hour ride from there. Las Terrenas has a large European population, predominantly French, German and Italian along with those from NA and of course, local Dominicans and Haitians. I would recommend staying at Hotel Alisei, which is right of the beach. Great restaurants , try La Yuca Caliente for Italian food and Tre Caravelles , which is probably the best for money. The ride from Sosua to LT is very picturesque. You will enjoy the trip. Be safe and have fun.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I met a black couple from Kansas. He looked very Dominican and his passport was stolen from their hotel safe in the DR. I suppose one of the maids or such saw him and thought "I have a cousin who looks like that and could use a USA passport." And liberated it from the safe. Unless you have your own padlock to put on it I'd very wary of leaving anything in a hotel safe.
Der Fish

That is a rare ocurrence. After all I don't think a maid would want to risk losing her job breaking into the safe in a room. That particular hotel must be 1 star.

Welcome to dr1 Sandy. I am from Vancouver as well and moved to the NC 2 years ago.

If you do decide to move here there is no need to buy, just rent when you retire. It will take a lot longer than a month to understand what it is really like to live here and after a year if you still like it...RENT!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is not the" hotel" safe but one that is her room. She should be fine there

I meant the safe in the hotel room. Who does the stealing is not important, but it does happen. I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this.