Wheelchair

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
There's a probability that I'll be traveling to Santiago next February. I wanted to bring a wheelchair with me, but my carrier tells me that it must be for my personal use. Thank God I don't need it. I saw a person with a need for a wheelchair (one in many). Can someone tell me where in Santiago I can buy one at a good price and can you provide the address?.. Gracias..Me
guta ei concon..:laugh:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...because that would be deceitful, self serving and taking advantage of a service to which one is not entitled. kind of akin to borrowing a handicapped parking sticker at home. Feigning a handicap for self benefit is rather objectionable in my book of moral fortitude, but to each their own, I suppose...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
ZEUS in a Wheelchair

...because that would be deceitful, self serving and taking advantage of a service to which one is not entitled. kind of akin to borrowing a handicapped parking sticker at home. Feigning a handicap for self benefit is rather objectionable in my book of moral fortitude, but to each their own, I suppose...

I know, I know.....

ZEUS (and the name suggest that), however, might be a Dominican. ;)

donP

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Hope springs eternal. That's why I choose to believe that Zeus will reject the advice offered in favor of the high road.

The character shortcomings that some posters choose to display in public for all to see amazes me sometimes.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Donated Chairs

... there are bunches of used wheelchairs along the roads of STI; condition unknown.

I remember to have seen wheelchairs sitting in the yard of the Las Terrenas hospital.
If there is a minor defect they are not repaired... :disappoin
{CC will know more....}
They are probably donated by container loads.

donP

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013

Dude. are you for real? I recognize that internet chat doesn't lend itslef to tonal language distinctions. i was being sarcastic. from your proud saddle: "I am not above gaming a system provided that no identifiable individual is harmed in the process. I don't mind depriving a faceless Govt. of a few duckets but would never takes from the mouth of a struggling family their daily bread. I believe in and try to practice as often as possible, the do unto others as you would have them do unto you principle."

convenient. taking precious government resources to which you are not entitled is no problem. making a joke about a using a wheelchir for its intended purpose causes you to question my character. oh boy...I was thinkng the wholle time i read your thread...that poor lawyer.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
mofo,

There was not a single indication in your post that you were making use of sarcasm. If you wish to use alliteration, I suggest you learn how to do so. Not a single person who read your post could have possibly drawn the conclusion you were being sarcastic. You are responsible for what you write and getting your intended meaning across. If you fail to do so and come across badly, it's your own fault, not that of the person reading your errant prose.

Better luck next time.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Plead !

Think Dominican, plead for a freebe, slip the driver a few extra pesos to load the chair in the baggage compartment? ....or last resort pay the carrier the cost of transporting it as cargo? The cost would be a heck of a lot cheaper than searching and buying a chair in Santiago.

Regards,

PJT

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I didn't use alliteration unless you are referring to proud saddle. Feel free to substitute high horse if you prefer and you have your alliteration.

Conveniently you make no mention on getting called out on your hypocrisy of taking tax dollars you aren't entitled to and another person taking a wheelchair on a plane that they intend to DONATE to another person in need? How many wheelchairs could have been purchased with the ducats/dinars/pieces-of-eight you took from mouth a a struggling family?

Your statement "not a single person" is quite telling of your personality. No one coud possibly have an interpretation which differs from yours.

there is a hole in my DUCKET dear Liza, dear Liza....

I don't engage in sophistry and I don't use a paragraph when a sentence will suffice.

Fell better now? Panties unbunched?

Ducket. Nuff said.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Fair enough. We'll just sit back and see how many people come forward and declare they recognized your statement as sarcasm. Maybe the OP will be the first.

BTW, you targeting me to deflect from something you did/said, isn't working and you will only succeed in digging the hole deeper.

Returning the thread to the OP and everyone else...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When my mom died, I had walkers and a wheelchair that were hers. I brought all of them to DR [not at the same time, individually] when we flew down, even several canes, on AA. No one ever asked me if they were mine, but that is probably because I had just had a hip replacement the year we brought down the chair, and I was still using a cane.

It was either give them away to Goodwill or similar in NJ, or give them away in DR to people who really needed them in the campo.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I know of someone who once got a wheelchair through the Mormons. Also, try to inquire with someone from a Lions Club. Sometimes they can get things like these.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Zeus, I honestly wouldn't reccommend my snarky advice to you. To be clear, I think it would be absurd for an able bodied person to feign paralysis. You can't fake that shtufft. I started my career as a nurse with spinal chord injured and traumatic brain injured patients. It would be the height of cynicism for an able bodied person to disrespect those who struggle to maintain dignity everyday. I was being sarcastic. I would never engage in that behavior. It's just that on this forum folks joke about dominicanismo all the time. in that context it seemed an appropriate sarcastic comment. A potentially funny way a dominican would solve the problem vs a gringo.

I misspoke and I apologize.

pm me if you are serious about getting that chair in dr.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
If you are traveling via air with a wheelchair you (most likely) will be able to check it in
without incurring additional fees.
Got to your carrier's website and see checked baggage or personal wheelchairs.
I doubt that you will have to pay.

Good luck