How Is A Computer Monitor

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Taxed if you bring in through EPS, for example. I want to buy a 24 inch monitor and forward through EPS. Does Aduanas tax computer monitors the same way as TV's? I believe if you keep the price on the receipt below $200 including the shipping fee-gas surcharge and DGA fee, it is not taxed?

Anyone tried this? Thanks.

May 20, 2012
Don't know about your exact question, but we have brought 2 computer monitors in original packing and boxes as checked luggage recently. Flew MIA to PUJ if that matters. And did not have to pay a peso.

Two different trips; aduanas questioned us and opened the boxes. We just insisted they were not TVs, rather monitors, which was the truth!

We nearly had to pay for second one as they wanted to say it was "new" because we had in original packing. And it did look pretty new because it had only been purchased on that trip. But we convinced them otherwise. Somehow we explained that we use the original boxes to travel with the monitor; again true statement. We only speak a little Spanish and have Residentias, so no clue whether that is/was a factor.

That second one was actually a complete computer and we could have turned it on to show them it was already set up and had been used. But we didn't tell them that because they let us go before we had to go that far.

And we were definitely risking damage to them by checking with the airlines. But shipping we thought would be more risky. Both made it through just fine.

BTW, both were 27".

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This does NOT address The OP's question, but thanks for the info.
Perhaps someone who ACTUALLY shipped a monitor will answer and not guess at this?
I am also curious, miesposa is getting good @ flipping CL, and needs a few 24" screens to trade.

***I am pretty sure it is more expensive to ship than buy it locally***

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yes, I realized that but thought it may be somewhat relevant. Feel free to move my post."

And what do you mean by this statement??"

The only thing I am able to move are my bowels, CL is Light Sweet Crude Oil.
Happy Thanksgiving / Jueves!

tio tambo'

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we shipped a monitor with EPS a while ago. theoretically any tv/monitor of 32 inches and more is taxed although one may slip through the cracks occasionally. but if you buy 24 inches and under 200 dollars there should be no tax on it.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
This does NOT address The OP's question, but thanks for the info.
Perhaps someone who ACTUALLY shipped a monitor will answer and not guess at this?
I am also curious, miesposa is getting good @ flipping CL, and needs a few 24" screens to trade.

***I am pretty sure it is more expensive to ship than buy it locally***

And just what have you contributed!? Zero!

Follow the ****ing link I posted!