Money transfer from the States....

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
I used RIA the other day. I sent myself $200 then $500 to check out their system. I went through their one time verification system which is much like Paypal's but very easy. I received the money in dollars at Caribe Express. I was charged $2.00 for each transfer. Yes....$2.00. The charge to send $2000.00 is $2.00 !!!. This is from a U.S. bank account for cash pick up here in the D.R. The transfers took 6 days, unlike Xoom's 15 minutes. I am in no hurry. Pura Vida

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Do you have an interest in this company, I noticed you posted this previously.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
Happy Thanksgiving Morganstern I tried to use RIA, made two small transfers ( under $ 500.00usd) went ok, then made one larger (over $1500 usd ) then the transfer was held up, for some security verification...( that happened two months in a row) I called & pleaded when it would be actually completed & sent, promises by them that a supervisor would call never did...

I had to switch back to Xoom ( that costs more!) but at least it went and Goes EVERY Month. I want to find a less expensive company as long as they don't hold up the funds, if anybody knows so when I send the funds ( excess of 1500 USD ) I don't have headaches. By the RIA never called & was never concerned they lost a customer.

-Serge

May 20, 2012
Banco Popular holds my money for 30 days if I deposit a USA personal check into my DR account!! And it comes out of my USA account immediately. That's just mean!

In Sosua I could write a personal check on my USA bank account and cash it with a money changer who gave me pesos on the spot. And there were money changers pretty much everywhere.

Seems like the money changers are different in Bavaro than on North Coast. Or has something else changed in the DR?

Now that we are in Bavaro, only found a Caribe Express to change cash USA money to pesos.

So two questions:
Is there a good place to change money in el Cortecito or Bavaro area?
And any of them cash USA checks?

Thanks

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Imagine my dilemma I am Canadian so I just go to the bank and use the bank machine when I need pesos withdraw what I need for two weeks get my groceries etc and go back when I need more. Right now for me to buy 100 American dollars it costs 114 Canadian dollars. My son is an accountant and he did the math and he advised me this is the most economical way to do it for me as all my funds are Canadian.