Canadian Woman Killed in Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the picture in the article is uploaded badly:

2lx9doh.jpg

it looks like a motor/scooter was involved.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
At least they covered the body, rip

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
For some strange reason there has been a lot of death in and around the Cabarete area lately.
People need to be extra careful if traveling to Cabarete for
this holiday season.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
People need to be extra careful if traveling to Cabarete for
this holiday season.

I still can't say I have an abundance of driving experience here, but I can say without a doubt Cabarete is the most challenging drive I have yet encountered on my moto. The stretch coming into Cabarete from Sosua all the way to Janet's is fraught with hazards. Pedestrians everywhere, other vehicles come from all directions, high speeds and all the idiocy we see elsewhere. Within Cabarete proper, the street is narrow, there are speed bumps, cars parked willy-nilly, people darting across the street. There is almost too much movement to be able to take it all in.

I've almost had two crashes there in as many months. Neither would have technically been my fault, but I would not have fared well. Even the gringos behind the wheel the wheel of their massive jeepeetas seem to have lost the ability to drive the way they were originally taught. I know that "he who pauses is lost" here, but please people, don't succumb to the temptation to emulate our Dominican brethren on the roads. Do not become lazy or complacence. It's astonishing the number of foreigners who I mistake for a Dominican because of the way I see them operating a vehicle: Following too close, passing motos with less than a foot of separation, entering traffic when the lane is not clear, pulling out to pass a car doing 100 and nearly running me off the road because you're in my lane and I am just another moto who will surely get out of your way until I don't or can't...

Dom-cabarete

Nov 28, 2014
According to that info she may have been a passenger on the scooter and a male (riding it) was injured, but is OK.

donP

What is unclear about that information? she is gone, he seemed ok as in not dead, no names no nothing, it's a real tragedy but people need the information

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Little Information So Far

What is unclear about that information? she is gone, he seemed ok as in not dead, no names no nothing, it's a real tragedy but people need the information

Well, I suspect it was you ("Dominic") who gave that information and it was good to learn from it that there was a guy involved also.

More information is still not known, and yes, that is very tragic.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that looks like ahead on collision with electricity post. regardless of the reason: speed, alcohol, other road users - wear your helmets, folks. that may be the only thing between you and a solemn dr1 report by donP or dv8.

like cdn_gringo says, there is no need to fully emulate dominicans when driving here. exercise caution. as gringos, you should know better.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Who was with her?

that looks like ahead on collision with electricity post. regardless of the reason: speed, alcohol, other road users - wear your helmets, folks.

Indeed, it looks like that...the women obviously died from severe head injuries (there seems to be a blood puddle near the head).

What we do not know is, who was riding on the scooter with her.
However, I guess, many people know...

donP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i hope this poor woman was not being transported by some dumb ass sanky. this is so sad. i cannot think how her poor family must feel at this time.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The driver of the scooter was the lady's husband who is in hospital. The accident was a collision with a Jeepeta. The couple have two grown-up children. I was involved last night trying to help out with people who are close friends of the deceased, so I have some facts at my disposal. Please stop the disrespectful speculation.

Last edited:

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I still can't say I have an abundance of driving experience here, but I can say without a doubt Cabarete is the most challenging drive I have yet encountered on my moto. The stretch coming into Cabarete from Sosua all the way to Janet's is fraught with hazards. Pedestrians everywhere, other vehicles come from all directions, high speeds and all the idiocy we see elsewhere. Within Cabarete proper, the street is narrow, there are speed bumps, cars parked willy-nilly, people darting across the street. There is almost too much movement to be able to take it all in.

I've almost had two crashes there in as many months. Neither would have technically been my fault, but I would not have fared well. Even the gringos behind the wheel the wheel of their massive jeepeetas seem to have lost the ability to drive the way they were originally taught. I know that "he who pauses is lost" here, but please people, don't succumb to the temptation to emulate our Dominican brethren on the roads. Do not become lazy or complacence. It's astonishing the number of foreigners who I mistake for a Dominican because of the way I see them operating a vehicle: Following too close, passing motos with less than a foot of separation, entering traffic when the lane is not clear, pulling out to pass a car doing 100 and nearly running me off the road because you're in my lane and I am just another moto who will surely get out of your way until I don't or can't...

This is a highly accurate post.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
First - condolences to the family of both the woman and man who were in the accident. Our prayers are with you...

Second - cdn_gringo is totally right and I agree with the entire post.

Third - In all the years I have been going to DR I have never felt very safe in Cab. I have heard and seen of more petty crime, robberies and accidents there than in Sosua (this is over the past 10-15 years). The set-up of the strip is dangerous for motorists and pedestrians alike - yet the Amet cavalry are dedicated to Sosua??... Love the people in Cab and have tons of friends there - but I do not care for Cab itself and generally avoid altogether.

This is unbelievably sad!!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Road into Cab has been known as dangerous for years. A bunch of big ass speed bumps would save lives. Amet Cavalry stays in Sosua because we have lots of shade trees, we are close to the Amet station and Sosua is a much nicer town than Cabarete (ambiance). Believe me we would be happy to see them go anywhere else.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Well I live in Cabarete and feel pretty safe here - just as safe as I do when in Sosua, if not more so. Believe me, Amet regualarly shake down motorists in Cabarete just as they do elsewhere. The only criticism I have is that they could enforce the parking rules better to ease traffic flow.

And by the way, the accident we are talking about here didn't happen in Cabarete town itself, but a couple of miles from the centre, on the road to Sabaneta.

Last edited:

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ohhhhh... I thought it happened in the stretch just entering Cab...

I really like Zoomz idea to put in the big speed bumps and on both sides!!! I heard some talk of a bypass being in the works a while back - was that just speculation? Does anyone know?

Well I live in Cabarete and feel pretty safe here - just as safe as I do when in Sosua, if not more so. Believe me, Amet regualarly shake down motorists in Cabarete just as they do elsewhere. The only criticism I have is that they could enforce the parking rules better to ease traffic flow.

And by the way, the accident we are talking about here didn't happen in Cabarete town itself, but a couple of miles from the centre, on the road to Sabaneta.

Status
Not open for further replies.