NYT trip report Driving the Seam of Hispaniola

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
She's a great writer. "In the Time of Butterflies" is one of my favorite books ever, and I also enjoyed the more recent, "A Wedding in Haiti," which is nonfiction.

May 5, 2007
Beside trying to figure out if you can simply drive into Haiti from the International road I am mystified I didn't notice who the author of the article was :-(

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
did this same trip in 1981

I started off from my Peace Corps site of Moncion with a Honda 125 dirt bike. This is still today my favorite trip in any place in world in my whole life that I have been to. I felt like I was going 100 of years back in time along this"highway". Life then was so basic on both sides.
Makes me want to do it again!
dd

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not bad, apart from the last paragraph. the writer has good eye for detail.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Great article.

I stayed at the Hostal Dona Chava when I went to the south. It was very nice.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
not bad, apart from the last paragraph. the writer has good eye for detail.

dv8, 'the writer' is one of the best known Dominican authors, she's the one who wrote "In The Time of The Butterflies" and several others. :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I tried to do the drive from La Descubierta to Elias Pinas a few years ago, on "Road 47" you see on maps. In reality, it is only a horse trail along the top of the mountains. It was a definite rush driving on a surface as wide as the jeep, with mountain on one side, and a drop hundreds of feet down on the other.

I made it about 3/4's of the way, only to arrive at a spot where the trail had been washed away. I had to back up for more than two hours (veeeeeeery slooooowly) to reach a point where I could make a 30 point turn to come back down the way I came.

Well THAT just changed my mind from ever even considering that trip!! If you find the pics, please share them

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dv8, 'the writer' is one of the best known Dominican authors, she's the one who wrote "In The Time of The Butterflies" and several others. :)

i gathered that. you can be a published author and crap, boring or simply bad. i did not read any of the books of this woman nor do i feel a desire to but i liked the article. she has an eye for small things that bring out the bigger picture all the better: american uni t-shirt, sponge bob towel. i liked that.

edited to add: this is my subjective opinion. stephen king is very popular and hacking millions and i hate his books all the same.