teleferico in POP closes for maintenance

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Thanks for posting this. I sent some guests there yesterday, and they enjoyed it very much. I don't think they'd have enjoyed getting there to find it closed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nope. drive on manolo tavarez justo towards santiago. turn left to san marcos. in the center of san marcos turn left towards new cemetery. follow the road through hills and valleys until you get to a T shaped crossing: right to el cupey, left to teleferico. after rains this road may not be passable as few small streams are passing the road. the last part may be slippery as hell and the last turn is very steep. you need me to attach a little map?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
it closed for maint. years ago for ten days....ha ha ha....more like 8 months..... hope it doesnt happen again....but dominican theory....or maybe they can do the maint. with cooking oil....

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Why don't they do maintenance in the summer or early fall when there are less tourists... people visiting here?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
enginueity engine new ity thinking outside the box....this is something that has to be paid for.....and where will they get the money? not from the last administration....and the new one doesnt want to pay... maybe a grant from the germans

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
If you are driving up there, take the main road West through Puerto Plata. When you reach the San Marcos intersection where the big LPG gas station is on the left, turn left. Once you get into the 'center' of San Marcos turn left, this intersection can be missed easily, there is some large green colmado on the corner. Then follow that road for several miles until you hit the T-junction where you turn left again. Then its a windy road up to the top.

May 29, 2006
Went there like 20 years ago and had quite an adventure. We had to wait in line for about a half hour to get up. Had a great time and saw an "access road" thinking it would be a nice quarter mile walk back to the bottom of the mountain. Went down for a while then the road turned left~ we ended up on the other side of the mountain before we got to a real road and had to hitchhike about 15 miles back to POP!