Sending "used" stuff to DR

JonesL

Aug 4, 2014
I would like to know that does all the packages sent to DR go through custom or are possible subject to taxation eg. Aduanas?

I know what the procedure is when buying stuff from ex. amazon.com when in DR, but now I have a new scenario for me.

The thing is that I'm working at the moment in Alaska, and would like to send some stuff (kid's clothes & such) to my wife and son to DR. But how do I proceed if for example I buy some clothes etc in Wallmart, and then send them to my pick 'n send address in Miami via U.S.P.S. Do I need to put the wallmart receipt in the box with the clothes so it does not get stuck at the customs? What happens if I don't put any receipt in the box?

Thanks!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I send 'used' and new clothing and have done for 7+ years using an address in Miami and then couriered here. I put a packing slip on the inside of the box as well as in a pouch on the outside, with a value under $200 and have never had an issue with customs. The box always gets opened, but arrives with its contents and no custom charges.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My parents sent a box with baby clothes to my eps box. The invoice was inside, and it arrived without problems or extra charges. If you pack the clothes as presents I don't think you need to include an invoice. Just send it as presents. Keep the invoices as well, the courier will inform you if they need them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All items being sent to the DR now require an invoice. All are now supposedly being opened and inspected. I suppose that complicates the sending of used items unless you can figure out how to get an invoice made. ;)

Well, I just sent a bunch of used and new stuff down using a Puerta a Puerta company located in NYC with no invoices. Some nice chairs, a bicycle, kitchen stuff, a hand truck, small gifty things. Maybe I (we) were just lucky. He charges me more if there are electronics or power tools.

Aug 6, 2006
I have sent a 40 gal. blue barrel of various things to the DR with no difficulties or customs duties for $125. The used barrels are available in the OpaLocka-Hialeah Flea Market for $30, and seem to be very useful for storing water or anything else one wants to keep dry. I did not include an invoice, and everything arrived intact with no problems. If you need the address and number of the shipper in Hialeah, feel free to PM me.