Westjet POP Santa: Sometimes Canadian companies can do things right

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
explains why the airlines charge for every piece of luggage, doesn't it?

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Sucks to be you.

34pcmyw.jpg

Feb 7, 2007
Every North American airline charges for bags, with the exception of Southwest
No other North American airline did/does what WestJet did, and what they also did last year

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I thought last year's videos were good but this one takes the cake. Westjet is terrific!

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
We fly westjet whenever possible with free baggage and after watching this I am more than happy to support this airline.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
explains why the airlines charge for every piece of luggage, doesn't it?

Nope, Westjet does not charge for first checked bag going outside Canada and the US and only 25 dollars
for a second 50 lbs bag. I don't mind if this is what they do with it. ;)

Kengdean

Dec 1, 2014
It is a great PR stunt! Very cute. In Canada we have two major Airlines ( could use a few more for a bit of competition). Westjet seems to be able to gain popular attention through stunts like this...but...if you check out reviews, their service is no better than the other guys...lots of smoke and mirrors! Prices are the same, planes are more cramped and less comfortable (taking stuffing out of seats to lower weight of plane! Really?!??..yes really...next time I'm taking a pillow to sit on!). It's sad, I've flown European carriers at equal or better prices, better service, MUCH better food included in your fare. westjet and Air Canada want extra $$ for checked baggage, lowsy food, ear phones, pillow, blanket etc. contrary to another post here, yes Westjet DOES charge for checked baggage, as does Air Canada. both just started this about two months ago on domestic flights. We have one more contender in Canada...Porter airlines. Still relatively small and regional but they do have plans to expand. I've never had the privilege to fly with them but I do look forward to the opportunity. Reviews online give them a 97% pleased rating Vs the 47-50% that both westjet and Air Canada get.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It is a great PR stunt! Very cute.

but how dare you be a grinch? can't you see people swallow that like a trained penguin gulps a sardine from the hand of the trainer? they want to believe. :devious::devious::devious:

Nope, Westjet does not charge for first checked bag going outside Canada and the US and only 25 dollars
for a second 50 lbs bag. I don't mind if this is what they do with it. ;)

New baggage fees, including a fee for the first checked bag on WestJet flights within Canada and between Canada and the U.S., will be in effect for Econo fare flights booked on or after September 15, 2014, for travel on or after October 29, 2014.
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/baggage.shtml

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
but how dare you be a grinch? can't you see people swallow that like a trained penguin gulps a sardine from the hand of the trainer? they want to believe. :devious::devious::devious:

New baggage fees, including a fee for the first checked bag on WestJet flights within Canada and between Canada and the U.S., will be in effect for Econo fare flights booked on or after September 15, 2014, for travel on or after October 29, 2014.
Baggage

What did I say? No fee for first checked bag out of Canada or the US, so NO charge for MY first checked bag when I go to the DR right?

And if this is a PR stunt more power to them. What does Air Canada do exactly?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Are we to take this video at face value? Was it made here in the DR? If so where? I see a Jose Luis store. Is there just one? If so the event probably happened somewhere in the POP area. Did anyone hear of it? When did it happen? Any real life news outside of this promotional video?

Nuevo Renacer. They've been working there since 2012.

Behind the WestJet Christmas Miracle: Why Nuevo Renacer in the Dominican Republi

Have you ever been there? https://vimeo.com/47661435

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It is a great PR stunt! Very cute. In Canada we have two major Airlines ( could use a few more for a bit of competition). Westjet seems to be able to gain popular attention through stunts like this...but...if you check out reviews, their service is no better than the other guys...lots of smoke and mirrors! Prices are the same, planes are more cramped and less comfortable (taking stuffing out of seats to lower weight of plane! Really?!??..yes really...next time I'm taking a pillow to sit on!). It's sad, I've flown European carriers at equal or better prices, better service, MUCH better food included in your fare. westjet and Air Canada want extra $$ for checked baggage, lowsy food, ear phones, pillow, blanket etc. contrary to another post here, yes Westjet DOES charge for checked baggage, as does Air Canada. both just started this about two months ago on domestic flights. We have one more contender in Canada...Porter airlines. Still relatively small and regional but they do have plans to expand. I've never had the privilege to fly with them but I do look forward to the opportunity. Reviews online give them a 97% pleased rating Vs the 47-50% that both westjet and Air Canada get.

And you joined DR1 just to answer this one post in one thread. :laugh: Let me go check who you are

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Poor motoconcho driver - he asked for a new "motor" - motorbike - but they thought he meant "engine".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
And if this is a PR stunt more power to them. What does Air Canada do exactly?

maybe they spend money on real charities and not on the marketing campaign?

Poor motoconcho driver - he asked for a new "motor" - motorbike - but they thought he meant "engine".

he cracked me up: soy motoconcho pero no tengo moto. yeah, i'm a millionaire but i don't have a million. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: