new to Dr

Lisa14

Nov 30, 2014
Hello, I am new to the site as well as the DR. I am thinking of relocating since my husband works here. I am an american but trying to learn how to go about working. I am working on my citizenship, but am looking for input. My Spanish is limited but I am trying.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Welcome. You say "here" as are you currently in the DR, but thinking of living here permanently? If husband already works here, not relocating is an option?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Hello, I am new to the site as well as the DR. I am thinking of relocating since my husband works here. I am an american but trying to learn how to go about working. I am working on my citizenship, but am looking for input. My Spanish is limited but I am trying.

Hello Lisa, and welcome to DR1. I read your other post regarding your Spanish skills, and offer a small amount of advice. When learning a language, it's always best to start at the beginning. Every American knows the words to ONE song. It's the alphabet song that we are all taught as little kids in kindergarten or before. Spanish is the same. Learn the Spanish alphabet, and see how your Spanish progresses. Both English and Spanish are based on Latin, and it's amazing how many words in English are exactly the same or very similarly spelled that have the exact same meaning!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Welcome !!!

Someone posted recently a link to a great app duolingo...... I like it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ask your husband if there are any POSITIONS OPEN on the animation team at the resort where he works????
Just a thought!
WELCOME HOME!!!!!
You will love it here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lisa14

Nov 30, 2014
Thank you everyone! I bought Rosetta stone to learn ...I am a little nervous about taking the citizenship exam. When I say relocate is because my job in in the USA. But, my concern is also about school or homeschooling in Dr. What is everyone's thoughts?

Lisa14

Nov 30, 2014
Great advice...I would love to be able to speak to everyone ..so at times its hard.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Welcome Lisa!

Hello, I am new to the site as well as the DR. I am thinking of relocating since my husband works here. I am an american...

Where is "here"?
Did you marry him "there"?
Are you in the US and want to relocate to the Dominican Republic?

donP

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Lisa14 you are getting more questions than answers as your post created more questions than your post asked. If you are looking for advice just give us a brief outline as where you and your husband are from, where you live now where does your husband work how long does he expect to be here in the DR etc etc. What type of employment are you interested in or qualified for. Rosetta stone is a good beginning but remember the Spanish it teaches is as to Dominican Spanish as british English is to a jamaican speaking English.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
When learning Spanish try learning the verbs first. It will help you to piece together conversations easier.
Welcome to Wonderland.

Lisa14

Nov 30, 2014
I am a us citizen, he is a Dominican citizen, we meet in the USA. He has decided to go back to Dr, I am trying to get my citizenship so I can work. I was told I need my cedula to work. So, I need advice as too is there jobs I can work on just my US passport until I can get my citizenship. All the is so new. I guess overwhelming too... I have been going between countries... I am a Paralegal, hairstylist, and I work as a Domestic Violence counselor. We plan to live here. But I need to work...I don't want to do nothing . So that's the info. Oh, yes my husband works in a call center.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
You'll love it here cbs carribean has a weatherman with a puppet on his hand all day. Paralegal hairstylist cool. Your sentence syntax is different and non coherent. You'll fit right in.