german tourist dies in a domestic accident in POP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Accidente deja un muerto y un herido en la carretera Imbert-Luper?n; muere alem?n al caerse en hotel - Puerto Plata Digital

En otro tenor informativo, un ciudadano alem?n 65 a?os de edad que ten?a varios d?as hospedado en un hotel de la bah?a de Maim?n, falleci? en un centro de salud privado de Puerto Plata luego de que resbalara en el ba?o de su habitaci?n y se golpeara la cabeza quedando inconsciente.
Seg?n report? la Polic?a Nacional, el germano fallecido fue identificado como Harald Von Carnap Quemheimb, quien se hospedaba en el Hotel Riu Merengue y de acuerdo al diagn?stico m?dico, su muerte se produjo debido a trauma craneoencef?lico moderado, herida en la regi?n occipital izquierda, hematoma en la regi?n parietal derecha.
Las autoridades confirmaron que estos golpes los recibi? el turista alem?n al caerse en el ba?o de su habitaci?n por lo que su cad?ver fue enviado al Instituto Nacional de Patolog?a Forense en Santiago para los fines correspondientes.

a german national staying in riu merengue slipped in the bathroom, fell and hit his head. he died as a result of a cranial injury.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Accidente deja un muerto y un herido en la carretera Imbert-Luper?n; muere alem?n al caerse en hotel - Puerto Plata Digital

En otro tenor informativo, un ciudadano alem?n 65 a?os de edad que ten?a varios d?as hospedado en un hotel de la bah?a de Maim?n, falleci? en un centro de salud privado de Puerto Plata luego de que resbalara en el ba?o de su habitaci?n y se golpeara la cabeza quedando inconsciente.
Seg?n report? la Polic?a Nacional, el germano fallecido fue identificado como Harald Von Carnap Quemheimb, quien se hospedaba en el Hotel Riu Merengue y de acuerdo al diagn?stico m?dico, su muerte se produjo debido a trauma craneoencef?lico moderado, herida en la regi?n occipital izquierda, hematoma en la regi?n parietal derecha.
Las autoridades confirmaron que estos golpes los recibi? el turista alem?n al caerse en el ba?o de su habitaci?n por lo que su cad?ver fue enviado al Instituto Nacional de Patolog?a Forense en Santiago para los fines correspondientes.

a german national staying in riu merengue slipped in the bathroom, fell and hit his head. he died as a result of a cranial injury.

what the heck is going on here? these foreigners are falling like flies in the pais de maravillas. i have never seen anything like this before!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Anti-Slip Tiles

... in riu merengue slipped in the bathroom, fell and hit his head. he died as a result of a cranial injury.

If this had happened in a civilized country, chances are that his relatives are entitled to a million dollar law suit...

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the guy was very unlucky. he he lost consciousness and maybe was not found soon enough. haematoma as a result of a head injury is common but often treatable if noticed early. this is why with head injuries one should always see a neurologist, even if you feel good.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
If this had happened in a civilized country, chances are that his relatives are entitled to a million dollar law suit...

donP

At best it would be what is called a "NUISANCE" Law suit. A few thousand dollars and the family would go away.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
donP

i believe the owner of riu is a foreign company? maybe the family will reach some sort of a settlement with them.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com

donP

I think by 'civilized country' you mean the US? I can't think of anywhere else so litiginous that one could win a million dollar law suit

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In the DR you are on your own. I asked my Dom wife about us having homeowners insurance. She asked what for. I explained about being sued by people for example a slip and fall. She laughed and said we do not have that in the DR. In this country you must watch out for yourself. The large number of drownings on Cabarete Beach are a good example. The town knows there is a hazard and yet does nothing to protect or even warn innocent bathers.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Had a very good friend who died from a slip in the shower. He was a very fit, athletic and alert guy. Took him a year to die from the head injury. After that I never took another shower without a bath mat. If it could happen to him it could happen to anyone.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
as an aside, are people aware that the biggest killer of the over 60's in the US is....

....falling over!
Seriously. You know how much money is being spent on research into this? I believe it is the grand sum of zero!
You know how much they sepd on cancer research for e.g.?

Go figure

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In the DR you are on your own. I asked my Dom wife about us having homeowners insurance. She asked what for. I explained about being sued by people for example a slip and fall. She laughed and said we do not have that in the DR. In this country you must watch out for yourself. The large number of drownings on Cabarete Beach are a good example. The town knows there is a hazard and yet does nothing to protect or even warn innocent bathers.

Another good thing about the dr..........

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

I prefer the Dominican approach of "learning to watch out for yourself" because in life, sh*t happens.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Most accidents resulting in serious injury or death happen at home and are the result of falls. Most happen in the bathroom, the kitchen is next followed closely by any man-cave or entertainment area. A bath tub or shower area without a nonslip surface is bad news waiting to happen. So are marble floors that have just been mopped.

I've slipped and fallen on shellacked wooden stairs when my feet were wet. Not fun. I have noticed bath mats in a lot of hotels that I have stayed in in SD, but not many elsewhere. I'm not suggesting bring a bath mat on vacation but you have to be so careful all the time. Add a bit of alcohol and a counter top or a protruding fixture and it's no wonder bathrooms are deadly.

Not the vacation they were expecting. Shame.