How good are Banco BHD at refunding stolen money?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Me or the missus have had a card cloned for our BHD account and cleaned us out of some 51,000 pesos. It was only until I logged on to the online banking I noticed. I've since called the telephone banking number and cancelled the cards.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience dealing with BHD and what result did you get with your refund?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
OK, here's the skinny.

We spent quite a while at our branch in Cabarete going though all our transactions with their customer service employee. We indicated each fraudulent transaction and opened up a claim of "trasacion no reconcido" for each individual one.

The claims were then shown up on my internet banking page. After a few days the status of each claim changed to "no procede" (not processed)

We went back to the bank and spoke to our guy again. He got on the phone, talked to his people then proceeded to lecture us that we are responsible for our plastic and pins and that the bank would not refund the money.

Luckily our guy at the bank was on our side and told us to re-open the claims demanding evidence, such as video or photo evidence that we actually made these ATM withdrawals.

A week later, the disputed funds were deposited back into our account.

So all in all it took 17 days and a little persistence, but we got our money back!

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I say again I have had zero problems using credit-debit cards in RD.
The reason is simple. I only use a card in person in a bank.
When I spend money at a retail establishmen it is in CASH. NO ATMs No Restaurants No hotels. No Problems

Cloning CASH is not my problem.

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
Glad to hear the happy ending story. It does not happen too often in this country. I used my AE card in Ochoa 10 years ago and never again. You are lucky to have "the guy in the bank" to back you and guide you all the way.......

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
good to hear you got it solved in your favor, thats the way it should always be.
one question, as you mentioned you did not know about fraudulent transactions til you checked the account online. dont you hav ethe SMS notification set on your account? every time I use my Debit Card from BHD Bank i receive within minutes (mostly before i get a chance to enter my car and drive away, just seconds) a SMS on my cellphone stating that i just used my card, direction of the ATM Location and amount taken from the account. so in case of fraudulent use i could drop the call to the bank right away. never needed it, but find it a good feature.

Mike

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
good to hear you got it solved in your favor, thats the way it should always be.
one question, as you mentioned you did not know about fraudulent transactions til you checked the account online. dont you hav ethe SMS notification set on your account? every time I use my Debit Card from BHD Bank i receive within minutes (mostly before i get a chance to enter my car and drive away, just seconds) a SMS on my cellphone stating that i just used my card, direction of the ATM Location and amount taken from the account. so in case of fraudulent use i could drop the call to the bank right away. never needed it, but find it a good feature.

Mike

You raise a good point. When we use the card in a store we get a text msg on both our phones, but when we use an ATM we don't. We asked the bank about this and we were told we needed to get that part activated!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thats what this bord is all about, to spread such info around.
i did never activate it on the frist account, it was automatically set on that, otherwise i would not know about it. on the next account i had to request it to be the same thingy.

Mike

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Glad it all worked out.

As has been posted by a few of us many times, make an effort to make friends with whoever at the bank manages your account. Even if it means stepping out of your comfort zone and taking them a cake or some small gift, it will pay you back in the long run.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
you are a chicken with teeth. First time I ever heard Dom bank and refund in the same sentence. On the other side of the coin US bank cards will refund no problem. Take them a cake!!!!!!!!!! iphone would do it but a cake!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I had a similar problem with Banco Popular for just over RD$16K and they refunded within a week. However, a month later they took all the funds (11 transactions) away again and, now, over a year later I am still chasing them. Almost half of the money taken fraudulently was after I had reported in person that my card number had been used by someone other than me as the person at the bank did not cancel the card right away. I am more than cross and frustrated and, although it is not a fortune, it is a significant issue to me.