Dominican ingenuity

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
when there's money to save, the locals can come up with some pretty ingenious solutions i find.

Here's my recent example...

I rather brilliantly managed to lose the only key to my vehicle a few days ago. Thinking i would have to get all the locks changed and a new ignition set, i feared it was gonna cost me.
Then i thought, hmm i bet there's a Dominican solution to this.

My mechanic came over today, removed the lock from the back door of the car and has sent it to a locksmith in Puerto Plata who will apparently make a key from the lock....brilliant!

In europe this cock-up would have cost me a small fortune, here i suspect I'm looking at a bill for a few hundred pesos at worst.

So, whats your examples...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
when there's money to save, the locals can come up with some pretty ingenious solutions i find.

Here's my recent example...

I rather brilliantly managed to lose the only key to my vehicle a few days ago. Thinking i would have to get all the locks changed and a new ignition set, i feared it was gonna cost me.
Then i thought, hmm i bet there's a Dominican solution to this.

My mechanic came over today, removed the lock from the back door of the car and has sent it to a locksmith in Puerto Plata who will apparently make a key from the lock....brilliant!

In europe this cock-up would have cost me a small fortune, here i suspect I'm looking at a bill for a few hundred pesos at worst.

So, whats your examples...

that is standard operating procedure everywhere...

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
It would had been better to change all the locks. Hope the mechanic (don't know how much your trust him) or the lock smith in Puerto Plata doesn't make a spare.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Most vehicles made after the year 2000 require the key to have a chip. If you have a newer vehicle the key will let you into your vehicle but will not start the engine. I hope this is not the case. Good luck.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I go through flip flops at an impressive rate. Somehow the thingy at the toes always manages to make the hole bigger and comes out ( if you see what I mean :) ).

Solution #1. A hair pin through the bottom keeps it in place ( after the hole is bigger ).
Solution #2. I now wear mismatched flip flops........

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Also, while i was on footwear subject.......

Trainers here do not last long. Especially tramping up and down muddy hills with 5lb of mud under each foot. The sole at the seams gives way.

Solution # 1. Wait for the weekly passage of the haitiano who sews them back on ( haitian solution )
Solution # 2. When very muddy, hang the trainers by ure neck with the laces ( but first spend enough time in the campo to grow hobbit like leather on the sole of the feet ). Dominican solution.
Solution #3. Wear rangers all the time ( and let ure feet sweat like mad ). My solution.

Aug 6, 2006
Never did figure out what a training bra was supposed to train them to do, though.

=====================================================
Perhaps you have been hanging out with the wrong women.:D:D

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Yes indead, thanks Vinyasa....... I did mean sneakers/sport shoes :)

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Ok, now we know what trainers are -

now tell us what are rangers.......

French word ( perhaps english too), for jump boots. A bit like what the dr miilitary wear ( but black, not sand colour ).
A bit like DocMartens on steroids.....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i really wanted to contribute here because over the years i have seen hundreds of examples but somehow i cannot remember much now. i have seen shoe soles repaired with melted rubber of some sort. jars and bottles being reused for every possible merchandise.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i really wanted to contribute here because over the years i have seen hundreds of examples but somehow i cannot remember much now. i have seen shoe soles repaired with melted rubber of some sort. jars and bottles being reused for every possible merchandise.

You're right, they throw nothing out, everything is reused for something. I have to sneak things into the trash, lol, even though he's lived in the US for 40 years. Our DR maid even takes our empty 2-liter soda bottles home.

Very rare that something breaks and Mr. AE can't fix it, no matter what it is. I've been amazed more than once, and sometimes disappointed, because I wanted a new one :)

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Out of the blue,

Paint buckets ( empty) used as a place for hens to lay eggs.
Disconnected fridge used as wardrobe.
Barbed wire used as clothes hanger.
Empty cloro bottles used as water containers.
Knifes used as screw drivers.
Stones used as hammers.
Piece of metal used as a fuse.
Diffrent size tyres on a car.
Diffrent colour bulbs in car headlights.
I have seen all that in my own house........ at the beginning.