Transplanting large palm trees in Santiago

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Is it feasible to transplant large palm trees within the immediate vicinity. All opinions on procedures, costs, contractors appreciated. Thank you in advance.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In Miami it is done all the time with a three pronged hydraulic machine that cuts into the soil and lifts out the root ball. Next they wrap the root ball which is circular with burlap. Hydraulic crane lifts it on to a flat bed truck where it is tied down for the move.
crane removes the tree, stands it up and puts it into the hole dug in preparation. Nearly 100% survive the transfer. In the DR you could do it if you have sufficient Haitian labor to dig the tree and get it on and off the truck. You will need a block and tackle and a Dom person who has done it before. There are lots of palms here. Someone must have done this.

Aug 6, 2006
There will also be a need for the ubiquitous Daihatsu Delta.
Once you plant it, you need to prop it up for about three months to prevent the wind from blowing it over. The roots will need to anchor themselves in the ground. Usually they use three props, 1X2's or 2X4's depending on the size of the tree.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
any vivero will be able to help you.

I have seen gigantic ones relocated.... proper preparation and support until rooted is all it really takes.

and water.........

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Anything is possible, if you are willing to pay to someone to do it. Whether they would have to necessary equipment in the DR is another story. Check with a local that sells shrubs, flowers and trees. Perhaps he is prepared to do this at the right price.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have done this myself, on my property....

not huge, huge palms but big enough that 3 of us couldn't carry them
we loaded the root ball in to the back of the Jeep and hauled to the new hole.

every single one lived

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
division of labour

Your staffing model amuses me: "Haitian labor" and "a Dom person who has done it before"

In Miami it is done all the time with a three pronged hydraulic machine that cuts into the soil and lifts out the root ball. Next they wrap the root ball which is circular with burlap. Hydraulic crane lifts it on to a flat bed truck where it is tied down for the move.
crane removes the tree, stands it up and puts it into the hole dug in preparation. Nearly 100% survive the transfer. In the DR you could do it if you have sufficient Haitian labor to dig the tree and get it on and off the truck. You will need a block and tackle and a Dom person who has done it before. There are lots of palms here. Someone must have done this.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Valuable info JDJ....

My helpers too were Dominicans..... I drove the Jeep

Remember, Florida has no indigenous palms...... all imported