Atm withdrawal limits?

May 20, 2012
I searched the forums but didn't find an answer.

I rarely use ATM's in any country, but need some cash unexpectedly.

I know my USA bank has a limit per day I can withdraw. But does anybody know the limit on a Dominican ATM using a USA debit card per day?

Does it vary by bank here?

Yesterday I tried to ask a teller at Banco Popular; should have saved my breath. So I just withdrew the max that was offered on the screen of $5000 and the fee was DOP$175. Is that typical? Does it vary by the amount I withdraw?

And any ATM's to avoid? (I am aware to only use in daylight and in safe places like inside a bank.) I remember reading some were more prone to fraud or cloning cards?

Thanks

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
I have never seen a forum with so much misinformation printed.
Atms attached to a bank usually allow two packets of 10,000pesos each. The fee varies right now between 120 - 200pesos per withdrawal. The bank of Nova Scotia in Puerto Plata charges 200 pesos per withdrawal.
There is one bank in Sosua which allows 20,000 pesos in one withdrawal at a cost of 120pesos.

yopote

Jan 22, 2012
really

[last time I went to the bank which is was 2 months ago they said you could only take out 2500.00 dp
this is at banco hbd leon QUOTE=Vinyasa;1512972]BHD now lets me take up to 15,000 from my peso account.
For foreign cards it may well be different[/QUOTE]

Aug 6, 2006
If you get a debit card from Fidelity or Scottrade, and perhaps several other brokerage companies, they will reimburse you for those bank fees, though not for currency conversion fees, which tend to be lower. $175 per withdrawal is typical. That is what Banco Popular charges. It's about $4.00 USD, but it adds up. You always should call the card company before traveling anywhere, you l have problems the second time you use the card.

Check to see what the minimum for an account at investment companies is. Most of the discount brokerages have IRAs, there are a number of mutual funds you can invest in, and they tend to have excellent service.
Banco Popular will allow two withdrawals of $10,000 DOP daily. That is about $475 USD.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have never seen a forum with so much misinformation printed.
Atms attached to a bank usually allow two packets of 10,000pesos each. The fee varies right now between 120 - 200pesos per withdrawal. The bank of Nova Scotia in Puerto Plata charges 200 pesos per withdrawal.
There is one bank in Sosua which allows 20,000 pesos in one withdrawal at a cost of 120pesos.

I beg to differ TJ

I have been in the Cabarete Scotia and seen each of the side by side ATM's allow different limits.

one of 5,000 and the other of 10,000

Limits vary day to day, bank to bank and as I say here from ATM to ATM

its a crap shoot.

the rule here for anybody new, is to never allow yourself to get to "0"....
life can be tricky at banks.... keep a reserve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In fact, I can get more $$$ in Nagua (Scotia) than in Cabarete (Scotia)

go figure
Nagua is poorer and zero tourists usually

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Some ATM's never give out more than 5000 pesos. Others always give as much as 10,000 pesos, and I know of one, there must be more that on heavy use days, when locals are getting paid that drops from 10,000 to 5000 limit. Banco Popular is my personalfavorite. Ban Reservas' machines tell me that my card is not formatted correctly. And the 175 pesos is pretty much universal. Some have posted that they never pay that, but haven't explained how to avoid it.
Der Fish

I rairly post because I don't like being contradicted when I have helpful information. But anyway here goes.

If you are a Canadian and can open a Scotiabank account in Canada you can withdraw 10,000 pesos a day without a bank fee if you are using an ATM at a Dominican Scotiabank and you also don't pay the international transaction fee. It saves me about $10.00 cdn per withdrawal. If you are over 60 they also wave the monthly fee for a checking account in Canada.

Don't know how many branches there are in the States but worthwhile checking out for you Americans. Also using "INTERAC" I can transfer amounts up to $6,000. dollars for $1.50 to my Scotiabank account. I only transfer the amounts that I need for the month. Safety measure to ensure that is all I can be out if something happens to my card, heaven forbid.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
DBilly... in the US BankofAmerica is free Scotia withdrawals...

You statement is correct.

I too am a Scotia client in Canada, TD in the US (formerly Commerce)

the issue here is, whether the ATM will release 10k at one time....
not always is the answer from me

talk to your Cdn bank..... I can get $1,000CDN daily - up to $3k for the week
they need to up your limit if you need it

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We are also Scotiabank customers from Canada. Our limit is also $1,000CDN daily and $3,000 weekly.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think that needs to be arranged..... not standard treatment

but the point is, it can be done.

I use local banking here too but for a 1 -2 -3 month visitor........ they need very little else
free access to the Cdn account

they charged me $133 y'day for 5,000 pesos

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observstion from the Frontier

Greetings from Cabral,

Here on the Frontier I use Banco Popular, in Barahona, for most of my ATM withdrawals using a US Debit card. My daily limit is $ 500US so this equates to drawing out the $ 20,000RD max the ATM machine allows in two ( 2 ) $ 10,000RD increments. The machines say there is a $ 175RD fee but I never see it on my bank statements. Instead I am charged $ 1.00US for using an " other bank machine " and 1% of my withdrawal amount. IE. If I withdraw $ 450.00US I am charged $ 4.50US on my statements. Total $ 5.50US.

However, if I have the time and need " change " for the usual $ 500RD bills the ATM machine hands out I go inside the bank and have a teller make a " single withdrawal using their card reader " up to the $ 500US daily limit. Given current conversion rates this is usually $ 22,000RD +- on any given day. Note: I have found this " inside service " only at Banco Popular.

If I need to withdraw more than $ 500.00US on a given day I need only to contact my bank in the US for an " one day " increase to my daily limit. This type of transaction does require the " inside service option " but I have used it to withdraw over $ 60,000RD at one time.

I should note that I only go into Barahona once a week do my shopping and banking.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Banco Progresso allows up to at least 20.000rd may be higher. 120rd fee.
Popular you can withdraw up to 20.000 but takes 2 withdraws of 10.000

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
I use the bank machine in Punta Cana at San Juan Plaza or Palma Real mall every two weeks. I take out three withdrawals of 10,000 pesos each, my bank does not charge me a fee (TD canada trust) but the RD bank machine does. I hate carrying that much cash and might just start going once a week and taking less. Had my card cloned two years ago at a resort machine on my street, so I switched to using only bank machines at a bank. I also have a scotia bank card in case the other one gets cloned and as well two credit cards if needed. I never go on pay days or end of month as the money lenders are lined up with all their clients cards to get their money out, they have no shame and will stand there and do twenty transactions at a time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
bienamor, ... Progreso is my bank here... they too have different limits at different locations/branches

but, yes, 20,000/day is what is allowed on my card too

as said earlier.....a crapshoot at best

as usual, the tourist areas seem to be the most confusing....

May 20, 2012
Well!
No wonder I was confused.
I still am BTW, but I am gaining an understanding of the situation.
I will call my USA bank tomorrow and be sure no issue there.
And I think I might try the "inside the bank" thing at Popular, too.

If I were to be so unfortunate as to try to withdraw more than a particular machine's limit, what happens?
Does it lock me out, just say no, or tell me what the limit is?

Seems strange to me that ATM's don't just TELL us what the limit is upfront. What a concept!

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Banco Popular " inside bank ATM option "

Forgot to mention in my earlier Observation from the Frontier that when using the " inside the bank " ATM option you will need to have your passport handy. Popular tellers have a " form " they fill out when providing this service.

kFrancis

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
When I lived in Nagua I used the same machine about once a week. Would allow me 10,000 pesos, then a second
transaction for 5.000 both with a ATM card drawn from an American bank for a total of 15,000 in one day.

A women from my bank in the states gave me some advice while living here in the Dominican Republic. She said if/ when I use my
ATM card here, its best if I always use the same bank/ financial institution, this way if there is ever any type of
fraud or dispute with withdrawls or transactions, my bank in America will only have to sort it out with one bank (Scotia,
Popular, ect) down here instead of several different banks across the country. I only use Scotia for my American ATM card
withdrawls, never had any problems. Fee is 200 pesos per transaction.

Robocrop

Sep 13, 2017
Some updates on this topic. First, the scotia bank ATM at the texaco station near metro bus station does not exist anymore. The sign for this ATM is still outside at the wall. The place to go is Pedro Clisante / Ayuntamiento. I have pulled 40k out of Banco Del Progreso ATM and the fee was only 150 (compare that with Banco Popular ATM at super mercado with 10k limit and fee of 195 -> 4*195 = 780!) on the other side is the best ATM: Banco Santa Cruz - The limit seems to be 4k but it has a fee of ZERO! Confirmed after checking account online. You can pull 4k and then 4k again and again. There is a 3rd ATM at this crossing as well which I am not goint to test soon since the other two options are damn good.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I beg to differ TJ

I have been in the Cabarete Scotia and seen each of the side by side ATM's allow different limits.

one of 5,000 and the other of 10,000

Limits vary day to day, bank to bank and as I say here from ATM to ATM

its a crap shoot.

the rule here for anybody new, is to never allow yourself to get to "0"....
life can be tricky at banks.... keep a reserve

It is a crap shoot as you say. The withdrawal amounts of bank ATM's vary by location, time of day, and moon phase. Be especially aware on paydays, usually on the 1st and 15th of the month there are long lines at ATM's because employees are accessing the funds direct deposited by their employers. Yes, keep a reserve, a spare tire. Set a limit. When your available cash is reduced to the limit, time to go to the ATM and see what surprises you.

Regards,

PJT